You Keep Me Safe and I Will Keep You Wild

I Love You

Kodi’s POV
I sat there all night staring at him, waiting and waiting for him to wake up. It was all I wanted for him to just open his eyes. I didn’t care if he never wanted to talk to me again I just wanted him to be ok.

Each time I nodded off I was kick to open my eyes again but as I drifted off I heard him say my name. I thought maybe I was just hearing things, having a dream but then I heard it again.

I felt his hand grip mine and I knew I wasn’t dreaming.
“Kodi,” it sounded so painful for him.
“Evgeni,” I sat on the edge of his bed feeling more and more desperate with each moment until his eyes opened.

“Oh my god Evgeni,” I ran my hand through his hair and stroked his face over and over.
“My legs,” he sounded panicked.
“It’s ok, shhh, it’s ok.”
“My legs,” and as a tear rolled down his cheek I couldn’t stop the overwhelming mixed emotions.
“It’s just a nerve block ok, shh Evgeni shh, I am here it’s ok,” I tried to calm him.
“But…”
“Shhh,” I stroked his cheek and finally kissed him.

I hadn’t kissed in what seemed forever. I had been too worked up getting angry at him and trying to push him away so I wouldn’t be hurt if something happened to him. As it turned out it was worse. All the guilt and sadness, I had never felt more alone.

“What happen?” his voice was so weak. I looked at him to see an equally weak expression on his face.
“You were in a car accident.”

“Evgeni…” I put my hand on his chest and shook him lightly as his eyes began to slip shut.
“Promise you stay,” he put his hand on top of mine.
“I will stay.”
“Promise no more pushing.”
“I promise, no more pushing, no more running, just us,” I ran my hand through his hair, “I love you.”

His eyes were shut but a smile crossed his face as he mumbled something in Russian before succumbing to all the medication he was on.

I was left sitting in the chair next to his bed and holding his hand. It was different this time because I knew he was ok, I knew he would wake up and that he was only just sleeping.

The doctor came in to check on him but he didn’t wake up for anything, the poor thing was better off though, no pain just rest.

“Hey,” Sergei walked in with Sid close behind.
“Hey guys,” I smiled and they looked back at me confused as they took their usual spot, Sergei in the chair on the other side of the bed and Sid standing at the end of the bed with his hands in his pockets.

“How is he?” Sid nodded to Evgeni’s sleeping figure.
“He is fine, he woke up about an hour and a half ago.”
“He woke up? You not tell…”
“Sergei,” I laughed as he went all protective and father like on him, “he’s fine, the doctor said just to let him wake up gradually on his own accord.”
“Ok,” he sat back in his chair, “what did he say about surgery?”
“Tomorrow morning at 9am.”
“It’s an optional skate so we will be here and keep you company,” Sid spoke up and I knew exactly why he was the captain.

Evgeni must have been dreaming because his hand twitched and he mumbled incoherently but it had to be the cutest thing I had seen and I couldn’t help but smile as he shocked himself awake.

“Hey,” I greeted him with a kiss on the forehead.
“Hi,” he looked around the room his eyes stopping on Sid as his captain smiled at him before continuing to look at Sergei.

“How are you feeling?” I watched them as Sergei sat on the edge of the bed before they feel into a conversation in Russian.

“You ok?” I got up and stood next to Sid.
“Yeah I am ok, I just worry,” he shrugged.
“I know.”
“But Geno is Geno and he is going to do whatever he wants and that worries me more.”
“Which is why it is up to us to look after him, right?” I put my hand on his back.
“Tag team house arrest?” he suggested.
“Sounds like a plan.”