You Keep Me Safe and I Will Keep You Wild

He Means So Much To So Many People

Kodi’s POV
How could I be so stupid? My life was messed up and now because of me someone who didn’t deserve anything but the best was in hospital.

I stared at his large form lying in bed. He was out to the world around him but still looked to be in pain. A broken back was only the beginning to what was going on with him and if I could switch places with him I would in a heartbeat.

“Here,” Sergei walked in and handed over a coffee.
“Thanks,” I rubbed my face and took a huge gulp hoping to feel alive again.
“He’s going to be ok,” he tried to be reassuring but nothing was going to help until Evgeni woke up.
“I just wish he would open his eyes or something,” I sighed reaching out to grab Evgeni’s hand.

“You know he loved you,” his captain appeared at the door before entering.
“He loves her,” Sergei got up and walked over and put his hand on Sidney’s shoulder who was yet to have really spoken up.
“Clearly she never loved him,” he crossed his arms getting defensive.

“What?” the coffee had hit and I was wide awake and with him trying to talk about me like he actually knew me, he was crossing the line.
“You don’t know me,” I got up and shoved my finger into his chest, “you don’t know anything about me.”
“I know that my friend loved you and all you did was push him away, push him so much that this happened!” his voice rose as he pointed to Evgeni’s still body.
“I get it, it’s my fault alright and everything always is. If it makes you feel better I can leave!” I went to head out the door.
“It would actually!”

“STOP! YOU TWO, JUST STOP! STOP TALKING ABOUT ZHENYA LIKE HE ISN'T HERE, He’s just sleeping,” Sergei sat on the edge of Evgeni’s bed and looked down at him, “he’s just sleeping,” he repeated quietly as he ran his hand through Evgeni’s hair like a loving father.
“Gonch I…”
“Sid just… don’t,” Sergei sat down in the chair next to the bed and grabbed Evgeni’s hand, “he’s going to be ok.”

Sidney slid down the wall clutching his hair and all I wanted to do was hug him. The poor guy.
“I am sorry,” I sat down next to him and did just that.

Evgeni had told me about Sid. He was weird and awkward but apparently that was just Sid. It didn’t make him any less of a person, according to him he was the nicest person you could ever meet.
The moment I caught a tear rolling down his cheek I could see that, he cared that was why he was angry, he really did care.

Evgeni had so many people who loved him and I was no one. Everything would have been easier if it was me who was hurt.

“Zhenya is special to a lot of people,” Sergei looked at me as Sidney was tucked away in my arms.
“I know, I can see that,” I sighed, “I just wish I knew how much he meant to me before this happened.”
“Sometimes it takes something like this for someone to realize how much they mean to them.”
“My dad’s dead,” I choked, “and Evgeni is the only person who cares.”
“He has a big heart, he puts other people before himself.”
“And if he had have just stayed away from me he wouldn’t be hurt.”
“It’s not your fault,” Sid mumbled sitting himself up. I thought he was asleep the whole time but turns out he was listening to everything I said.

“Geno is stubborn,” the captain rubbed his eyes and he stood up, “he never listens and does what he thinks is best. He was talking to me on the phone when it happened.”
Now it made sense as to why Sidney was so worked up.
“He loves you and he just wants you to love him back,” he sighed looking down at Evgeni.
“I know,” I got up and walked over to Evgeni’s bedside feeling like the whole world sat on my shoulders.

“He is the most important person to me,” I tried to hold back the tears as I ran my hand through his hair.
“He has been there for me when I needed it most and I just pushed him away as if he was no one. He made my dad’s last few weeks amazing for that I will be forever in debt to him,” I traced his jaw where a big bruise had formed. I missed how when I touched him he responded and would lean into my hand but there was nothing, he didn’t move at all and that only hurt more.

“And if he just woke up I could tell him how much I love him,” I couldn’t hold back the tears anymore and lent down to kiss his lips.
“I love you,” I looked at him, like really looked at him. He was the one I wanted to be with. Never would I had thought I could, but I loved him.