Status: In Progress. Updated every Monday and Thursday.

Make Way for the Spiders

Ten

-_-_-_-RAYNE'S POV-_-_-_-

When I got back to the apartment, Mom was sitting on the couch, reading a magazine. When I stepped through the doorway, she jumped up, with a big smile on her face.

"So?" she asked. "How'd it go?"

I smiled at her excited face, wondering how I got stuck with a teenager trapped in a woman's body for a mom. "It was good," I said, smiling.

"How was the movie?" she smirked.

I blushed. "We left before it was over," I admitted.

"It's nine o'clock," she said, "when did you leave the movie?"

I stared at the clock, thinking back. "I think it was... a little before eight?"

"What did you do for an hour then?" she asked, her eyebrows raised.

"We got ice cream, and walked around for a little bit," I told her.

"Rayne, I don't like you walking around this late. Especially in New York."

"Mom, please," I sighed. "What about that amazing Spiderman you're always going on about?" Of course, since Spiderman had been teaching me, I doubt we wouldn've needed him.

"You never know," Mom said. "Just don't be walking around that late again."

"Don't worry," I told her. "It's not like I'm going to go down some dark alley by myself."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm going to bed. I have to work tomorrow."

"On a Saturday?" I asked. "But it's only been a week."

"Things are already piling up, though," Mom sighed. She stood up, and put her magazine on the coffee table. "Night, Sweetie." She kissed my head, and then went to her room.

"Night," I called.

It was just after nine, so I had plenty of time to get ready before Spiderman came at ten. It was a warm night, so I wore gym shorts and an old class t shirt. I slipped my socks on and made my way back to the living room. I sat on the couch, with my legs stretched out. I grabbed the TV remote, and flipped through the channels, finding a movie. It was Journey to the Center of the Earth, one of my favorites.

I was able to watch ten mintutes of it before I fell asleep.

-_-_-_-PETER'S POV-_-_-_-

I swung to her window, our usual routine. I knocked on the glass, and waited. Her light was off, which was strange. Usually, Rayne was in her room at this time, either on her laptop, or finishing up getting ready.

I hesitated before deciding against my better judgement. I pried the window open, and climbed through, into her room. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I noticed that she wasn't in her room at all.

Where was she? I should've walked her all the way to her apartment, instead of just to the doors. But I was afraid that I wouldn't have the courage to kiss her by the time we got to her door.

Where was she?

I sighed, and opened her door. I didn't think about Ms. Siebert - er, Cheryl - being up, I just walked down the hall, searching for Rayne. When I came into the living room, the TV was playing, and credits were rolling down the screen. On the couch, was my favorite red head, slightly snoring.

I chuckled at her softly, and watched her for a bit. I felt a little stalkerish, but at the moment, I didn't care. She didn't know that Spiderman was Peter Parker, so I really didn't feel too weird.

I smiled at her before crossing the room and finding the remote on the coffee table, and turning the television off. In one swift motion, I picked up Rayne, and carried her down the hall to her room. With her in one arm, I used the other to pull back the blankets on her bed, and gently laid her in.

Her eyes fluttered open, and when she saw me, she squinted.

"Spiderman?" she asked. "What are you doing here? What time is it?"

I put my finger to my lips and chuckled."Don't worry about it," I told, trying to make my voice deeper, and less Peter-like. "From now on, Fridays will be our days off, okay?" I pulled the blankets up to her shoulders, and she yawned, nodding.

"Deal," she mumbled, and closed her eyes.

I started to walk away, but she sat up, looking at me curiously. "My window was shut tonight. How did you get in?" she asked.

I smiled at her, although she couldn't see. "Just because it's closed, doesn't mean it's locked."

She bit her lip, looking annoyed with herself. I laughed at her, and she stuck her tongue out at me, but also began to giggle.

Seeing her smile like that made me really regret not kissing her earlier, even if Gwen was there. Rayne seemed to draw me in, and had since day one, when I first saw her on the rooftop. She had unknowingly captured me, and it was driving me crazy.

Her giggling died down, and she smiled at me. Her lips were teasing me, and I bit my lip. I could wait until tomorrow, when I wasn't Spiderman, but I probably wouldn't have the courage.

"Rayne," I said, sitting down on her bed.

"Yeah?" she asked, tilting her head.

I raised my mask just above my nose, cupped her face in my hands and kissed her. At first, she didn't respond, which had me panicking. I mean, the only time she talks to Spiderman is at ten every night, where as she sees Peter Parker everyday at school. I should've known she wouldn't kiss Spiderman.

I was about to pull away and apologize when she kissed back, hesitantly.

I smiled, and pulled away when I heard footsteps coming towards her door. I put my finger to my lips again, and stuck myself to the ceiling a split second before her mom came through the door.

"Mom," Rayne said, looking surprised. She glanced up at me, and I smirked before pulling my mask back down.

"Who were you talking to?" Cheryl asked. "I heard voices."

Rayne laughed, but it sounded forced. Her mom must've noticed too, because Rayne instantly stopped when her mother glared at her.

"Mom, I think you were dreaming," Rayne said. She said something else, but I was too busy panicking.

I couldn't believe this. I had been in Rayne's room several times this past week to pick her up so I could teach her, and yet I had missed the big, floor length mirror on her wall. I was panicking. If her mom happened to turn just a little bit, she would definitely see me. But if I moved, there was more of a chance for her to see me, as people tend to notice movement before anything else.

In the reflection, my eyes locked with Rayne's, and her eyes widened. "Mom, seriously, you must've been dreaming. I haven't been talking to anyone."

"Sweetie, why is your window open?" her mom asked, walking over to close it.

I mentally cursed. I should've escaped through the window when I had a chance.

As Cheryl turned, she caught sight of the mirror. My heart rate quickened, and her eyes widened. She blinked and spun around, but by that time, I had dropped to the ground, and rolled under the bed.

"Did you see that?" her mom asked.

"What?" I heard Rayne ask innocently.

"I... I think I need to go back to bed."

I watched Cheryl's feet cross the room, and heard the door close softly.

I waited a few seconds, and then Rayne's head popped out in front of me. "Thank goodness you're still here," she whispered, smiling. "Sorry about her."

I chuckled. "It's no problem. Maybe I should just hang out here tonight," I teased.

She giggled, and I smiled. "My mom will probably be checking up on me all night now," she sighed. "If you're going to leave, it'll have to be now."

"You're no fun," I huffed, and squirmed out from underneath the bed. "I'll see you tomorrow then," I said.

"Ten o'clock?" she asked.

"Ten o'clock," I confirmed.

She grinned. "See you then."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh~ what have we here? Please comment, let me know what you think ^^ It makes me happy to see reviews, so don't hesitate! Love you xx