A Fragile Doll

The News

Chapter 5

April’s POV:

I woke up from the constant door bells. I remembered what happened last night and smiled. This guy made me feel special, he gave me hope. I walked downstairs and saw Steven sitting on the couch with Amy; I started walking down the stairs about to say something when they kissed. All my hopes came crashing down as I sprinted from the house and out the door. I wanted to get away from here as fast as possible.

“April stop!” I heard him yelling after me but I kept running; I ran until I knew he couldn’t see me. I broke down on the side of the road and cried. Why was I crying so much? He just kissed me last night, it wasn’t like we were together or anything. He probably regretted kissing me, it was probably a mistake. Yea, that’s what it was; he was just caught up in the moment, that’s why he apologized afterwards and walked out.

I just sat there on my knees crying, not caring about who saw me or where I was. Then it started pouring rain from out of nowhere. Perfect. Just my luck. I tried getting up but fell right back down. I was completely out of energy and couldn’t get myself to move. It was like I was paralyzed, glued to the spot; I didn’t know how to do anything. I think I’m seriously starting to go crazy.

A car pulled up a few yards away from me and a male figure walked out. I didn’t check to see who it was; I just didn’t care. Whoever it was probably was going to walk right past me and not even acknowledge my existence. I felt like a pathetic girl whose life has been shattered to a million pieces.

“April, what the hell are you doing on the ground? On the side of the road and in the rain? You’re gonna get pneumonia!” The male figure said kneeling down so he was at my eye level. I knew who it was the moment he opened his mouth. I suddenly remembered how to move and jumped on him crying.

“Hey, hey what’s wrong?” Tyler said holding me and trying to calm me down.

“Please take me home” I said whimpering. He slowly and gently picked me up bridal style and placed me on the passenger side of his car. He drove towards my house without saying anything knowing I needed to get myself under control.

“We’re here” He said pulling into my drive way and coming around to open the passenger door. I just sat there zoned out not hearing what he said.

“Do I need to carry you inside too?” he said jokingly. I put my arms out like a child and he rolled his eyes at me picking me up. I pulled out my keys and handed them to him while he struggled to get the door open. Once inside he gently sat me down on the couch and ran upstairs to get me a towel and dry clothes.

“Dry yourself and go change we need to talk” he said sternly looking at me. I sighed, got up, and walked behind the wall to change.

“I don’t feel like walking all the way to the bathroom, don’t look over here!” I said stripping off my clothes and drying myself up. A couple of seconds later I was dressed and walked around to see Tyler scrolling through his phone with a frown on his face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked looking at his facial expression.

“What’s wrong?! Well why don’t YOU tell me what’s wrong. Why were you crying on the side of the road in the rain? You looked like you could care less about the world; you looked torn.” He said looking at me mad and worried at the same time. I took a deep breath and told him everything that happened from the beach to feeling betrayed this morning.

“Wait you tried to KILL yourself?! April what the fuck is wrong with you!? Did you think about your mom once? Did you think about what Riley would do if anything happened to you? What I would do!?” he said looking at me with wide eyes. He looked crushed, and I felt terrible knowing it was because of me.

“I’m really sorry Ty, I don’t know what came upon me. I was thinking about my terrible life one minute and the next thing I knew I jumped. I guess I got lucky that Steven saw me…” I said looking at him with tears filling my eyes once again.

“I’m so grateful that Steven was there, I owe him for saving my best friend’s life. But I always had a bad vibe coming from him. I don’t know what it is I just don’t like that kid. He seems like the player jerk that would hurt anyone, even someone as innocent and loving as you. I don’t know why you fell for his trap” he said looking at me like I did something stupid.

“I don’t know ok! I thought he was different, the way he took care of his little sister and then took care of me…I felt like there was much more to him then that player everyone thinks he is. I guess I was wrong.” I got up and walked around trying to find something to do from crying.

“Well forget about that jerk. You’re a great girl and I know you can do so much better. There is a guy out there who is worth your time, a guy who will love you and only you.” He said smirking.

“Awh, see I knew there was a soft side to you!” I said laughing at him and winking. He just rolled his eyes at me. I sat back down next to him when I remembered that something was wrong with him too.

“So why did your face drop earlier when you were scrolling through your phone?” I asked looking at his upset face once again.

Tyler’s POV:

“So why did your face drop earlier when you were scrolling through your phone?” April asked me giving me a suspicious look.

“I’m getting this weird feeling that something is up with Dani. She keeps sending me one word replies and acts like she doesn’t want to talk. There has been this guy who comments on all her things on Facebook as well, and well, she flirts back. I have a feeling that…” I said with my voice cracking not being able to finish my sentence.

“Tyler you don’t possibly think she’s cheating on you? You guys have been together for seven months now. I know she loves you and you have given your heart to her. Don’t jump to conclusions. It could be anything.” She said looking at me and giving me a weak smile.

“I don’t know April, we’re just not as close as we used to be. I feel like we’re drifting away. I try to spend more time with her but she’s always making up some kind of lame excuse. I called her that night you told me about that incident thinking she would want to talk. I called her and she said she couldn’t talk to me right now because she was busy and then she hung up. What could have been so important at 10:30 p.m.? She hasn’t called me since and she keeps texting me back with one word answers. I just don’t know what to do anymore.” I said trying to keep my emotions under control. I loved this girl but I don’t think she felt the same way anymore.

“Ty, it’s probably just a huge misunderstanding. There’s probably nothing going on. She’ll be in school tomorrow so just talk to her ok? Ask her what’s really going on; and know that whatever happens I’m here for you” she told me giving me a tight hug. I let her hug me for a while hoping that this whole thing in my head about Dani was wrong.

“Uhm I’m hungry” April said all of a sudden looking at me. We both just started laughing and got up to see what her mom had left for us in the fridge. She shuffled around and found lasagna. She put the pan in the oven to warm it up as we both sat on the bar stools talking about stupid things. After we both ate like fat kids we decided to enjoy this amazing weather and go out for a walk.

Steven’s POV:

I have been trying to get in touch with April all day, but she doesn’t seem to want to talk to me. I will have to tell her tomorrow about what really happened and just hope that she believes me. I want this girl to be mine and so far it isn’t going so well.

Kaylee won’t stop crying. My mom is gonna be home tomorrow morning for probably a few weeks before she sets off again. I picked Kaylee up and tried to get her to calm down. I tried everything but couldn’t see what could be wrong with her. I finally decided to take her for a walk since the weather was just amazing. I don’t know what’s up with Mother Nature, because one day its pouring rain and freezing cold and the very next day it’s sunny and burning hot.

Once we arrived at the park I took Kaylee to the playground and let her run around for a bit staying close by. Looks like all she needed all along was fresh air and fun. I let her play for a while until she came running up to me telling me to pick her up. She put her head on my shoulder and slowly drifted off to sleep. I put her in her stroller and started walking back home when I saw April and Tyler across the park. Tyler looked at his phone and then guiltily looked at April. She nodded and he ran back the way the both came from. I felt like this was my chance to talk to her so I started walking towards her.

“April” I yelled at her trying to get her attention. Once she saw me she rolled her eyes and walked the other way.

“Will you please listen to what I have to say to you!” I screamed hoping she would stop. She stopped in her tracks keeping her back to me.

“What do you have to say now?! Listen I appreciate everything you’ve done for me, but just please leave me alone.” She said looking at me annoyed.

“April, Amy forcefully kissed me. I DIDN’T kiss her back, I don’t like her the way she likes me, and she’s obsessed with me.” I said looking at her with hope. She still didn’t seem too convinced.

“Ok well what’s that supposed to mean? It’s not like we’re dating or anything. Yes we kissed but I was just caught up in the moment.” She said starting to walk away.

“Ok, I just wanted to clear what happened up. I was just being hopeful…” I said trailing off and letting her walk away. I don’t know how to get a girl who seems like she wants me one minute but doesn’t give a crap the next. Just as I was about to walk the other way and start walking home I heard her scream. I turned around and she had fallen on her knees, clutching her stomach, and screaming out in pain.

“April! What’s wrong?!” I asked running up to her and falling to the ground holding her close. She didn’t answer me but continued to scream out in pain.

“I don’t know, I think I need to go to the hospital…” she said looking at me with teary eyes.

“My house isn’t too far from here, do you think you can walk?” I asked gently helping her get off the ground. I picked up the water bottle from Kaylee’s stroller and handed it to her.

“I think so” She said trying to walk. I took her hand in mine as I called Amy.

“Hey Amy I know I said a few things that I didn’t mean and I’m sorry. I really need you to come watch Kaylee for a few hours though. It’s an emergency.” I said feeling guilty for everything I said to her. I over-reacted and she didn’t deserve to hear what I said to her.

“Yea, that’s fine I’ll be there shortly” She said hanging up. Five minutes of walking and we both reached my house. Amy was standing on the porch waiting for me. I went up to her and gave her an apologetic hug. I could feel April’s eyes on me; I brushed it off and gave Kaylee over to Amy and told her I’ll be home in a few hours.

“C’mon let’s get you to the hospital” I said opening up the passenger side of the door for April. She hesitated for a minute and sat down. I rushed over to the driver side and started to drive off. I looked at April from the corner of my eye and I could tell she was trying everything in her power not to scream in pain.

“We’re here” I told her walking around my car and opening the door for her. She stepped out of the car and then collapsed on the floor.

“I can’t, I can’t walk. It hurts too much” She said clutching her stomach again. I picked her up bridal style and closed the door with my foot. I carried her inside to the ER and signed her up. Thank goodness that there weren’t many people in here today because she got called in right away. The doctor asked a few questions and told April that he was gonna have to do an ultrasound. She looked at me confused and terrified and all I could do was sit next to her and hold her hand.

“I’m extremely sorry to say this, but looks like you have had a miscarriage” he said looking at the both of us. Wait what? April was pregnant?

April’s POV:

I can’t believe what the doctor just told me. He told me I had a miscarriage, I was pregnant? Tears streamed down my face as I looked at the doctor.

“You’re telling me that I was pregnant?” I said looking up at him hoping all this would be a lie.

“Yes, I’m really sorry for the both of you, but I’ve prescribed you these pills make sure you take them daily” He said walking out and leaving the two of us alone. I didn’t know what to say; I was speechless.

“You didn’t know you were pregnant?” Steven asked me a little confused.

“NO! I had no idea! I just now found out that I was carrying a baby which belonged to a monster inside me for a month now! I don’t know if I should be happy or upset. He or she was my child after all it couldn’t be blamed for anything; but when I think of it was the monsters thing.” I said trying to stay calm. Steven pulled me close to him and let me weep against his chest. I pulled away from my phone vibrating and saw it was Ty.

“Where the hell did you go?! I told you to stay put for five minutes so I could go do something for Riley real quick and you run off without telling me?!” he seemed a little frustrated.

“Ty, I’m at the hospital right now…” I said with barely a whisper, but he had heard me.

“What?! Are you ok? What’s going on?” he asked worried.

“I-I can’t explain over the phone, can I come over?” I asked hoping Dani wasn’t with him.

“Yea of course, do you need me to come get you?” he asked

“No, Steven’s with me. I’m sure he’ll bring me, and can you please call Riley over too? I don’t want to have to explain this twice. Thanks.” I said looking at Steven and smiling at him. Before Ty could say anything from hearing Steven’s name I quickly hung up. Steven carefully helped me up and we headed to his car in complete silence. Once we were in his car he looked at me with a face that I can’t even explain…he seemed…sorry?

“April…I really am sorry…for everything that happened…” He said looking into my eyes.

“Listen Steven, I don’t know why I reacted the way I did; we’re not together. I don’t know what I feel for you; you’re not the guy I thought you were. You can be really sweet and generous; and I don’t know how to thank you for saving my life not once but twice. Who knew what could have happened to me if you weren’t at the park. I could have-” Before I could finish what I was saying Steven leaned closer to me moving a strand of my hair behind my ear, sending shivers down my back.

“I would never let anything happen to you” he said whispering into my ear. I looked into his gorgeous eyes and my heart skipped a beat. He moved in getting rid of the gap that was between us and kissed me softly. We kissed passionately as he cupped my face and tears streamed down my face. He finally pulled away and looked at me with an innocent smile and started driving off towards Tyler’s house. I didn’t know what I was going to say to him and Riley but I couldn’t hide anything from them. This should be one interesting night…