‹ Prequel: Poison and Wine

Come What May

The Pack

xxHaileyxx

“Guys, they’re going to be here in like ten minutes. Let’s go!” Hailey shouted throughout the Stilinski house as she tied some balloons to the temporary hospital bed in the living room. There was scuffling on the staircase as Aaron came running down with a box full of Stiles’ things.

“Okay I grabbed video games, controllers, comic books, movies, his laptop, and some real books. Peter’s grabbing the console and some other stuff,” Aaron said with a huff as he set the box down.

“Awesome,” Hailey said, taking things out of the box and putting them in easy reach of the bed.

“Food’s almost ready!” Allison called from the kitchen where she and Danny were helping Alyssa and Jason put together some of Stiles’ favorite foods.

“How’s the ramp coming?” Hailey called out through the front door.

“Testing it out now!” Isaac called back.

“Here,” Peter said, walking into the room and handing Hailey some bedding. She took it from him and started to make the bed as Aaron helped Peter set up Stiles’ games.

“I hear their car,” Derek said, walking into the house, Isaac behind him.

“Oh God, okay, do we have everything?” Hailey asked, looking around and mentally ticking everything off.

“Hailey, he’ll love it. Just the fact that we’re here will be enough for him,” Derek said, putting his hands on her shoulders.

“Right,” she said with a nod. “How close?”

“Two minutes,” he said with a shrug.

“Okay everybody! Out front! Aaron grab the banner,” Hailey said, clapping her hands together. Aaron squeezed between her and Derek to grab the banner from the car. Derek put his arm around Hailey’s waist as they walked out to the front porch.

“Everything’s all set in the kitchen,” Alyssa said, walking up behind them and placing a kiss on Hailey’s cheek.

“Thanks Mom,” Hailey said, helping Aaron unroll the banner when he got back on the porch. Derek grabbed the top left corner from her with one hand and placed the other on her waist.

“I see them!” Aaron called even though he was barely able to see over the top of the banner. Hailey bit back a smile as Sheriff Stilinski pulled the car up to the house and Scott jumped out of the front seat.

“Well hello everyone,” the Sheriff said, climbing out and opening the back door of the car.

Scott came around the side with the wheelchair and Hailey stood on her tiptoes to watch Stiles maneuver from the backseat of the car to the wheelchair. Finally, Scott grabbed onto the handles and turned the chair around. Stiles was definitely tired, that was easy to see, and his leg was completely bandaged up, but he was home.

“Guys… what are you all doing here?” he asked, swallowing back some tears as he looked at all of his friends.

“It’s your welcome home party numb nuts,” Hailey said, rolling her eyes.

“Yes, because that’s my favorite nickname,” he said sarcastically.

“Oh shut up and roll yourself up here,” she said as Derek helped Aaron roll the banner back up.

“Hey don’t mess that up!” Stiles cried.

“We’re bringing it in, don’t worry,” Aaron said and Stiles nodded, taking control of the wheelchair away from Scott.

“So who built the ramp? Please tell me it wasn’t you Hails,” he said, hesitating at the bottom of the ramp with a smug smile on his face.

“No. Derek and Isaac did,” she said, gesturing over her shoulder.

“Don’t worry, we tested it out,” Isaac said with a laugh.

“Well, here goes nothing,” Stiles said, backing up a bit before rolling forward with all his strength. He struggled a little bit but he persevered and made it up the ramp onto the level porch.

“Hi,” Hailey said, leaning down to wrap her arms around his neck and kiss his cheek.

“Hi Hails,” he said, giving her a tight squeeze.

“Oh I can feel those arm muscles building up already!” she laughed and Stiles flexed.

“Soon everybody’s gonna need a ticket to the gun show.”

“If we had a douchebag jar that would totally deserve a dollar,” Scott said. Stiles gasped and rolled backwards over Scott’s foot. Scott cried out as he pulled his foot away and hopped on it.
“Oh shut up, you’ll heal in thirty seconds.”

“It is so good to have you home,” Scott said through his teeth.

“I know it,” Stiles said, rolling himself into the house. “Hailey!”

“What?” she asked, walking in to see him spinning the wheelchair in circles around the living room.

“You set up my bed and everything?” he asked.

“You only kind of saved Derek’s life,” she said, glancing up and catching Derek’s eyes as she said it. “All three of our lives, actually. I think setting up your temporary bedroom is the least I could do.”

“You’re the one that saved us, Hails,” he said and Derek stepped forward, clamping his hand down on Stiles’ shoulder.

“Ixnay on the avingsay,” he said through gritted teeth and Stiles furrowed his eyebrow. Hailey stepped forward and knelt down to eye level with Stiles.

“Aaron doesn’t know I killed Gerard,” she whispered. “We don’t want him to view me differently so he thinks Derek did it.”

“Gotcha,” he whispered back with a wink. “You know, when you got Gerard’s gun away from him so Derek could… you know…” he said, drawing a line across his neck with his finger.

“Subtle,” Derek sighed as Stiles shrugged.

“So what did you bring down for my entertainment?” Stiles asked, wheeling over to the pile that Hailey had set up by the bed. “Sweet.”

“Just so you know, Hailey said she’d bring me over here sometimes so I can kick your butt at video games,” Aaron said, coming over and kneeling down next to Stiles’ wheelchair and showing him some of the games he had brought down.

“You can try but just know I have mastered each and every one of these games,” Stiles said and Aaron rolled his eyes.

“Yeah okay,” he joked as Stiles ruffled his hair.

“What’s this?” Stiles asked, pulling a pile of DVDs towards him. He gasped and spun around to look at Hailey, almost hitting her with his elevated leg. “Sorry but does this mean what I think it means?” he asked, holding up all of the Star Wars movies. Hailey laughed and shook her head.

“Yes, Stiles. I am going to finally watch all of the Star Wars movies with you while you recover. However, I may or may not fall asleep during them,” she said and Stiles beamed.

“You won’t! Man, I should get shot more often,” he mused, setting them back down.

“Um, I think not,” the Sheriff said, crossing his arms and Stiles smiled up at him sheepishly.

“For the greater good?”

“No,” his father said, shaking his head as the others laughed.

“Come on, let’s eat before it gets cold,” Hailey said, wheeling Stiles towards the kitchen.

“What did you guys make?”

“All of your favorites,” Alyssa said and Stiles’ eyes widened when he saw the piles of food.

“Oh. My. God,” he gaped. “You guys really do love me.”

“Debatable,” Danny joked, grabbing a plate and filling it up for Stiles.

“Stop lying to yourself, Danny. You know you can’t resist this,” Stiles said, motioning up and down his body.

“Shut up and eat,” Danny said, giving Stiles his plate.

“It’s good to be home,” Stiles mused.

****

“Oh my God,” Hailey said in awe as she stared at the end credits.

“You loved it,” Stiles said with complete satisfaction. Hailey just looked at him and blinked. “You totally loved it. I knew it! Welcome to the dark side, Hails. Or… you know… light side if you’re totally a Jedi instead of a Sith.”

“I can’t believe I actually liked that,” she said, standing up to put the next one in.

“I told you. No one ever listens to me,” he said, shaking his head. “So where’s Derek today?”

“I don’t really know,” she said, putting the next disc in the DVD player. “He just said he had things to do.”

“Vague.”

“Tell me about it. But whatever, more BFF time,” she grinned, curling back up on the couch next to Stiles where he sat with his leg elevated on the coffee table.

****

One Year Later


“Congratulations!” Derek exclaimed, pulling Hailey into a hug as she took her graduation cap off.

“I’m sorry you had to sit through that,” she groaned, tugging at the uncomfortable gown.

“No it was great. I didn’t go through my own graduation. This was a first,” he said as the rest of their friends came over.

“Look at all our graduates,” Melissa said as all the parents came over.

“We are so proud of you all,” Alyssa said as hugs went around.

“I can’t believe we did it,” Isaac said, taking off his cap and running a hand through his hair.

“I knew you wouldn’t regret going back to school,” Derek said, clapping a hand on Isaac’s shoulder.

“Well don’t you all look adorable,” Peter said, walking over with Aaron.

“Try to not be sarcastic for once in your life, huh?” Stiles said with a scoff.

“Fine. You all look ridiculous,” Peter said, putting an arm around Hailey’s shoulders and squeezing her against his side.

“But you’re proud,” Hailey teased, wrapping her arms around his torso.

“Yeah, proud all of you actually managed to stay uninjured for once.”

“We did pretty damn good,” Allison said, resting her head on Scott’s shoulder.

“It’s kind of easy to do when the only thing you have to deal with is a few omegas,” Scott said.

“Yeah, yeah, it’s been a good year. Can we go home now? I’m hungry,” Aaron said and Hailey laughed.

“Dude, it just ended,” she said, messing up his hair.

“I know but Mom and Dad have all that food waiting at home and I’m dying for a cheeseburger,” he groaned and Stiles instantly perked up.

“Food?”

“Yes,” Alyssa laughed. “For everybody. We planned out a whole barbeque for the six of you.”

“What are we waiting for?” Stiles cried, grabbing his Dad’s arm and pulling him to the parking lot.

“We’ll meet you there I guess!” Sheriff Stilinski cried as he yanked his arm out of Stiles’ grip.

“I’m gonna grab my parents and meet you there too,” Danny said with a smile before pushing through the crowd towards his parents.

“Let’s go,” Jason said, wrapping his arm around Alyssa’s waist and heading towards the car.

“You coming with us?” Derek asked Peter who shook his head.

“I’ll let you two have a little alone time,” Peter said with a wink before following Aaron.

“Nice or creepy?” Hailey asked with a laugh as Derek linked his fingers with hers.

“Nice,” he said and she gasped.

“Not the answer I expected.”

“Well he knows I want to give you my gift in private so I guess he figured now would be a good time,” Derek said, opening the passenger’s side door for her.

“A gift?” she asked after he climbed in and started the car.

“Of course, you graduated high school. A gift is expected.”

“You didn’t have to get me anything.”

“I didn’t… really,” he said and she furrowed her brows.

“Then… what?”

“Well you’re going to college back in New York because that’s where you grew up and you miss it,” he said and she nodded.

“Right…”

“And that’s all the way across the country.”

“Very observant,” she said and he sighed. “Sorry.”

“And because you’re my mate there’s that… emotional tether, remember?”

“Yes.”

“So it will be hard to maintain a relationship across the country. Because I’d be wanting to visit you every chance I would get,” he said and she smiled.

“Are you going to tell me anytime soon or are you just teasing me?” she asked. Derek laughed and pulled up in front of her house and shut the car off.

“Well, I talked to your parents and they agree that it would be safer for you if I went with you.”

“To New York…?” she asked, her eyes widening.

“Yes,” he said with a smile.

“But how… I’ll be living in the dorms?”

“I’ll have an apartment right across the street from campus. They like the idea in case there are werewolves out there by any chance. Because we’re together my scent is practically on everything you own. Plus, there could be other dangers.”

“Like frat boys?” she asked with a laugh and he nodded.

“Like frat boys.”

“And you really want to do this?” she asked.

“Of course I do, Hailey. I love you.”

“I love you too,” she said, leaning over and kissing him. “But what about the pack? Scott and Isaac are staying out here for school. And Peter will still be here of course.”

“Well, that’s part two,” he said.

“Part two?” she asked and he nodded. He closed his eyes and when he opened them they were a bright blue. Hailey gasped as Derek’s eyes returned to normal. “How?”

“I gave up my Alpha powers. It’s rare but it does happen sometimes.”

“Scott?” she asked and he nodded.

“He’ll be fine,” he said. Hailey was about to say something else when there was a tap on the window. She looked over to see Stiles standing there, still in his graduation gown.

“What?” she asked, rolling the window down.

“We’re waiting for you two. So any day now.”

“Okay, okay, we’re coming,” Hailey said, climbing out of the car.

“What were you two talking about?” Stiles asked.

“Derek’s coming with me to New York. And he gave up his Alpha powers.”

“To Scott, yeah. Damn it’s about time he told you.”

“You knew?”

“Of course I knew. He did it like two months ago,” Stiles said and Hailey looked over to Derek.

“Two months?” she asked and Derek nodded. “But I hadn’t even decided on New York!”

“No but your other choices were still out of state,” Derek said.

“Touché,” she said as she opened and re-closed the ash line for Derek. There hadn’t been a use for it lately but they kept it around just in case.

“I can’t believe we’re both going across the country for college,” Stiles said and Hailey smiled.

“I can’t believe you actually got into Yale,” she said with a laugh as Stiles scoffed.

“Rude,” he said, nudging Hailey with his elbow. “He’s rubbing off on you too much.”

“Damn right I am,” Derek said.

“As I was saying,” Stiles said, rolling his eyes. “Since we’ll be fairly close…”

“About 3 hours,” Hailey interrupted and Stiles nodded.

“About 3 hours close, this means we must have tri-weekly best friend time. Ergo, I travel to you, you travel to me we order pizza and/or Chinese food and watch shitty reality TV.”

“Tri-weekly?” Hailey asked, her eyes widening.

“Bi-weekly?” Stiles suggested shrugging his shoulders causing Hailey to beam.

“Sounds perfect!”

“And what am I going to be doing during all of this?” Derek asked.

“Uh, joining obviously. You’re the alcohol supply,” Stiles said and Derek rolled his eyes.

“No liquor and only if you guys have B’s in all your classes,” he said and Hailey smiled, wrapping her arm around his waist.

“There you are!” Alyssa called when they walked into the backyard where everyone had gathered.

Hailey looked around and smiled at her family and her friends and their families. Her parents were talking with the Sheriff, Melissa, and Danny’s parents by the grill. Chris and Peter were sitting by the fire pit talking with Deaton. Aaron and her friends had set up the volleyball net and were trying to divide the eight of them into teams.

“Aaron, I don’t think Derek’s going to want to play,” Scott said, putting his hand on Aaron’s shoulder. Aaron turned to Derek for confirmation.

“I’ll play,” Derek said shrugging his shoulders and Hailey smiled.

“Derek’s on my team!” Aaron called, running over and grabbing Derek’s hand, pulling him over to his side of the net with Allison. Scott, Danny, and Isaac were gathered on the other side.

“Time to see who’s the least favorite,” Stiles said in a cocky voice clapping his hands together. “Come on Scott, don’t let me down bro.”

“Actually, Danny’s captain,” Scott said and Hailey burst out laughing.

“You’re joking,” Stiles said, face falling in defeat.

“I choose Hailey,” Danny said. Hailey hadn’t stopped laughing from when Scott had last spoken. In fact, she was laughing so hard that she doubled over and fell to the ground, rolling around and clutching her stomach.

“It’s not that funny, Miner!” Stiles cried as everyone else had started laughing. Hailey couldn’t remember the last time she laughed this hard. Tears were coming out of her eyes and her face was starting to hurt.

“Hailey! Come on!” Aaron wheezed through his laughter.

“I’m sorry!” she cried, sitting up, chuckles still coming out. She looked over at Derek to see the biggest grin on his face she’d ever seen. “I’m just really happy.”

“Here,” Stiles said, reaching a hand out and helping her stand. Hailey composed herself but didn’t move over to join her team. She looked around at all of her friends and thought how in a few short months they’d be separated. “Hails?”

“What?” she asked, turning to look at him. Stiles reached over and wiped a tear from her face, a fresh one. “Oh, sorry, I’m just… going to miss you guys.”

“Oh don’t start!” Allison cried rushing over and wrapping her arms around Hailey. “We still have the summer!”

“I know, I know! We’ve just been thorough so much these past two years I don’t know what I’m going to do without you guys,” Hailey said, wiping more tears away and noticed Allison started crying.

“Let’s have Sunday Skype sessions where we all get together,” Isaac said. “Update each other on everything and just hang out.”

“Me too?” Aaron asked and Hailey wrapped her arm around him, pulling him close.

“Absolutely!”

“Yeah, you’re one of the pack, Aaron,” Scott said and Aaron’s eyes widened.

“I am?” he asked, looking up at Derek.

“Don’t look at me,” Derek said coming up and standing behind Hailey. “Scott’s the alpha now.”

“Yeah and what I say goes,” Scott said causing everyone to laugh.

“I think this calls for a group hug,” Hailey said, reaching her arm out to Danny and everyone gathered into a tight circle, their arms wrapping around each other.

“You too, cranky fangs,” Stiles said and Hailey turned to see him grab onto Derek’s shoulder. Derek rolled his eyes but didn’t complain, stepping closer and wrapping an arm around Hailey and one around Stiles. They all held tight for a moment, feeling the bond they had created.

“Food’s ready!” Jason called out and Stiles shoved away from the circle, running over and grabbing a plate.

“Classic Stiles,” Scott said, linking fingers with Allison and walking over to the grill.

“Come on Aaron, we’ll play later,” Danny said leading him away, Isaac following. Hailey turned to Derek and wrapped her arms around his torso and he pulled her close.

“You and me now,” she said and he nodded.

“Well, in two months,” he said and she smiled.

“Forever,” she said, leaning up and kissing him.

She pulled away and looped her arm with his, resting her head on his shoulder. Her mother was waving them over to where everyone was gathered. They walked over and joined them, celebrating together, not a worry in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hey, remember me? It’s only been almost a year and a half. I really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY apologize for that! Especially because this is the last chapter and was always going to be the last chapter. I’ve literally had about 83% of this written for the past 8 months or whatever. But for the past year (literally, it’s been a year) I’ve been working a full time job and I’m just so exhausted because my job is typing all day long and by the end of the day I don’t want to touch a keyboard. Plus, I didn’t really have an exact idea how to end this so I hope it was okay because it was a little cheesy but very sweet. If there’s anyone still out there reading this I’d love to hear from you! Thanks for sticking around for these two stories! <3