Status: does anyone even read the author's notes or..?

Ignite.

XXII.

“You almost ready, babe?”

“Yeah, one sec!” I called back out to Harry from his bedroom as I was putting my earrings in. Please, someone remind me why I had agreed to go to this lunch? Why did I think a meal with Harry and Allie would be a good idea? Yes, obviously I was doing it for Harry, but still. This was Allie we’re talking about. The girl who’d been sending me malicious text messages for the past few weeks. Yet here I was, heading out to Harry’s living room so we could go meet her.

A small grin came to his face when he saw me and I didn’t miss the appreciative glance that passed over my body. But hey, I wasn’t complaining. It wasn’t until I was reaching for my coat that Harry actually stopped me.

“Is that the new bracelet I got you?” he asked, his hand grabbing softly onto my wrist as we both looked at it.

“It is indeed,” I grinned in return before pecking his lips and then continuing to grab my coat and put it on.

“Bit much for a lunch, don’t you think?”

“It’s a pretty bracelet, it deserves to breathe!” I countered, but we both knew I was wearing it because Allie would be there. Whatever. If she wanted to get territorial, then so could I. Harry just shook his head offhandedly in response before ushering me into the hall and locking his door. His hand was soon clasped around mine as we headed for the elevators and he let out a small hum.

“Mm, you’ll be happy about lunch.” Alright, piqued my interest.

“And why’s that?”

“Zayn called while you were getting ready. He’s in town and wanted to get lunch, so I invited him along.”

“Oh. Well that was nice of you. You’re not still-?”

“No. I overreacted that day. I trust him and I trust you.” So I smiled and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek.

“Thank you. Now I’ve got one more person to help me face Allie.” Harry rolled his eyes at another snarky comment toward his best friend. I couldn’t help but make a few over the passing weeks as I was getting increasingly annoyed by her texts, but I’d yet to share them with Harry. I didn’t want to come between them, really. But sometimes I just couldn’t bite my tongue.

“You’ll be fine, babe. Honestly, she doesn’t have a problem with you.” And I just hummed in response because oh, how wrong he was.



By the time we were strolling into the little cafe downtown, Allie and Zayn were already seated at a table near the back. Of course they both leapt out of their seats to greet us, but I couldn’t ignore how fake Allie’s was toward me. So nice to see you my ass.

And then lunch commenced.

It was actually going pretty well, for the most part. Allie and I were very good at playing nice and the boys were just happy to be having lunch and being in good company. It wasn’t until I reached out to grab my drink that Allie’s eyes lingered on my wrist.

“That’s a pretty bracelet, where’d you get it?” she cooed as her eyes flitted up to mine and I didn’t even try to bite back my smile as I chirped out,

“Oh, Harry got it for me. Isn’t it gorgeous?” Her smile didn’t reach her eyes, but I knew she’d continue to play along.

“Absolutely. Any special occasion?”

“Mm, he got it for me the day after he asked me to be his girlfriend.” And then Allie choked on her water.

“Girlfriend? Harry, you didn’t tell me.” Her eyes and pathetically painted on smile turned to Harry then, but he just smiled obliviously back as his fingers laced with mine on the table.

“Yup, on Valentine’s Day.”

“Oh, congrats, Haz!” Zayn called.

“Yes, congrats.”

And I thought she would drop it, I really did, but-

“Must be weird dating a prude.”

Allie,” Harry hissed out, but she just shrugged innocently.

“I’m just saying. It must suck to be committed and not be getting any.” And that’s when the word vomit started.

“He’s getting plenty, thank you very much,” I snapped, gaining shocked looks from all three of them.

“Nervous handy’s under the covers don’t count, sweetie-“

“Christ, Allison, keep up. We’re having sex.”

“Jude-“ Harry tried to cut in, but Allie just kind of shook her head as her lips pulled into her mouth before she turned to him.

“You guys are having sex now? God, Harry, I didn't think you’d-“

“He’s not obligated to divulge our sex life to you.”

Allie scoffed. “Well he had zero problem whining about your lack of one not too long ago-“

“Allie!” Harry yelped as I shot him an incredulous look because thanks, Harry.

“What? She should know that you were upset with your little ‘arrangement’-“

“You would know all about arrangements with him, wouldn’t you?”

“How did you-?”

“I told her. And then Harry told her,” Zayn finally spoke up, and Allie quickly shot Harry a glare.

“Zayn knew? I thought you said we’d keep it between us?” And while I expected Harry to get defensive or maybe even feel bad, he simply rolled his eyes and let out a scoff.

“Like you never told anyone.”

“I- whatever. I hope you enjoy my sloppy seconds, Jude.”

“Mm, that’s classy.”

“You want classy, you stupid little bitch?” And I’m not really sure when Allie and I had gotten out of our seats, but soon we were practically lunging at each other across the table. Or, we would have been, had Zayn not grabbed her around the waist and Harry hadn’t pulled me into his arms. We were still both struggling, but then she spat out those four stupid words and my whole body felt numb.

“You don’t deserve him.”

The same four words that she’d been taunting me with for the past few weeks. Amongst other things, of course. Vile names and empty threats. But those were the words that I could never brush off.

“Does he know? Hm? Have you told him?” she continued to call to me, and I felt Harry’s arms tighten around me, but I couldn’t move.

“Told me what? What’s she talking about?” Harry asked hurriedly, his eyebrows knitting together as he held my shoulders at arms length and stared down at me. But I could only shake my head.

“I can’t do this right now,” I muttered, pulling from his arms and turning to collect my things.

“Tell him, Jude!” Allie jeered, only causing Harry to get more aggravated.

“Tell me what? What the hell is going on, Jude?”

“Nothing, it’s fine-“

“Judith-“

“I can’t do this.” And then I tore out of the restaurant, only stopping to put my coat on once I was outside and away from the cafe. My hands were shaking as I pulled my cigarettes from my bag and it felt like I was having a small panic attack. Why had I agreed to this lunch? I knew from the minute Harry suggested it that it would be a disaster. But no, I’d stupidly agreed, and look what I had to show for it.

“You alright?” My eyes whipped up from the ground to see Zayn slowly approaching me, pulling out his own cigarettes from my his coat pocket. I took a few drags before finally shaking my head a little.

“No, not really.”

“She was really out of line back there. Never liked her much, if I’m honest. Kind of a bitch.” And I kind of laughed pathetically, shaking my head again.

“You don’t have to shit talk her for me, Zayn.”

“No, ‘m serious! She acts like she’s the greatest fucking thing, and all she ever cared about was the fact that people knew her because she hung out with Harry. Miserable twat, that one is.” We both kind of chuckled at that one, and then we just smoked together silently, breathing in that beautiful city air.

“Why’re you in Philly today anyway?” I finally asked, and I thought Zayn’s face would split from his grin.

“A mate of mine just opened up a gallery and he’s doing this huge art show next month. Asked if I wanted to showcase some of my pieces.”

“Zayn, that’s awesome! You have to tell me when it is, I’d love to see your stuff in person!”

“Yeah, yeah! Let me get your number and I’ll text you the details.” So I slipped my phone out and handed it to him, and it was just as he was handing it back that Harry finally stormed out of the restaurant.

“What’s this?” he barked out, eyeing Zayn and I as I slipped my phone back into my bag.

“Zayn’s got an art show coming up, he was just-“

“Let’s go home.” My eyebrows furrowed as he cut me off, but I figured it wasn’t worth it to push him right now. So we said quick goodbyes to Zayn and then we were off to Harry’s.



“So what’s Zayn actually need your number for?” Harry spat as he slammed his front door shut behind us and I swallowed down a groan, dropping my bag onto the couch before turning to him.

“Well, I was trying to tell you that he’s putting some of his pieces into an art show next month and I said that I wanted to go. So he said he’d give me the details.”

“Really? An art show?” His eyebrows were knit together as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Yes, Harry, an art show. I’m sorry, wasn’t it not even two hours ago that you were saying that you trusted the two of us?” And at that Harry’s face fell.

“Fuck. You’re right, ‘m sorry. I’m just- not in a good mood right now. I don’t get what the fuck Allie’s problem is and- wait, what haven’t you told me?” And the knit brow was back.

“I…I don’t really want to talk about it,” I sighed, rubbing subconsciously at my arms.

“Yes, clearly, seeing as you haven’t told me.”

“Right. Uhm, can we not do this right now?” I asked gingerly, already backing toward his bedroom.

“Jude-“

“I’m gonna take a shower.” I heard him sigh behind me, but he made no movements to follow me as I entered the bedroom.

“We’re talking afterwards though!” He called just as I shut the bathroom door. Well, shit.



Harry was nowhere to be found when I stepped into his bedroom to find some clothes to wear. Which was kind of good, actually, as I still hadn’t really planned what I was going to say to him. So I scurried into his closet and threw on a pair of yoga pants I’d left there and a sweatshirt of his. And then came the slow and terrifying walk back to the living room, where I found Harry sitting on the couch, elbows perched on his knees and his head resting in his hands. And there was my phone, unlocked and sitting on the coffee table.

“What’s going on?” I croaked out, causing him to turn to me. His eyes were nearly black and his eyebrows were knit tightly together.

“Why don’t you fucking tell me.” It wasn’t a question.

“I- I can explain,” I mumbled as I crept toward him, and he quickly snatched up my phone before thrusting his arm out in my direction.

“Please do, because I don’t think I can read anymore of that disgusting bullshit.” I winced as I took the phone from him and saw that Allie’s thread of text messages was open.

“You went through my phone?” And he let out this sort of bitter, garbled laugh as he glared up at me.

“I wouldn’t fucking- the bloody thing wouldn’t stop going off while you were in the shower and I thought it might’ve been your parents or something, so I checked it. How long has she been sending you stuff like that?”

“I- I just-“

How long?”

“Since your birthday.”

Harry practically shot up from his seat, moving to the other side of the room as his hand ran through his hair.

“Jesus Christ, that was nearly a month ago!” he finally cried, arms flailing out at his sides.

“I know,” I murmured, my eyes falling to the floor.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Jude?”

“I just- she’s your best friend and-“

“And you’re my girlfriend! What she’s been doing is not okay! You should’ve told me.”

“I was handling it-“

“Were you? When? When you were telling half the cafe that we were sleeping together? Or maybe when you were trying to jump across the table at her?” He looked manic now, eyes wide and glittering from across the room.

“I didn’t want to come between you two, I didn’t-”

“Well, she’s done a bang up job of that herself,” he muttered with a shake of his head.

“Are you two going to stop being friends?”

“Well I clearly don’t want to fucking talk to her right now, do I?” he spat, running his hand through his hair again. I tried to will away the tears that were pricking at the corners of my eyes, but it was pointless. This was exactly what I didn’t want to happen.

“I’m sorry,” I practically whispered, and his head shot up, his face falling as he saw a few tears slip from my eyes.

“Jude, no,” he hushed quietly as he rushed to my side and pulled me into his arms. His chin came to rest on top of my head as he held me tightly to his chest. “You’ve nothing to be sorry for. Yeah, I wish you had told me, but you didn’t do anything to deserve what she was saying to you.”

“But what if she’s right?” I mumbled into his shirt, “What if I don’t deserve you?” He pulled me back in an instant, fixing me with a pointed look.

“If there’s anyone who doesn’t deserve the other, it’s me. Don’t be stupid.” I shook my head with a small, watery smile before he pulled me back in, placing a kiss to my temple. “I love you, Jude.”

“I know,” I whispered back.

And I did.

And then Harry’s phone was ringing. He sighed as he let me go to pull his phone from his back pocket and answer it.

“What’s up, Zayn?” There was a bit of talking on the other line before Harry pulled the phone away from his face and looked back to me. “Have you got work tonight or tomorrow?” He asked me, to which I shook my head in reply. “Want to go to Niall’s?”

“Get me the hell out of Pennsylvania.”

He bit back a grin before pulling the phone back to his ear.

“Yeah, tell Niall we’ll be there. We’ll head up in a bit. Yeah, yeah. Bye.” After pocketing his phone again, his hands slid to my waist, where he squeezed lightly.

“New York then, yeah?”
♠ ♠ ♠
woooooooow fucking kill me.
this is so so SO long overdue and i know it's not my best.
please don't hate me.
please let me know what you think.
i love you all.