Status: does anyone even read the author's notes or..?

Ignite.

XXIV.

”Harry, do you know him?” I got out in a strained whisper, and Harry squeezed my hand again in what I assumed was reassurance.

“He’s my dad.”


“Arthur,” Harry spoke up, a deep glare already set into his features. The man in front of us looked like he wanted to roll his eyes, but he refrained.

“Oh, come on, H, you-“

“You don’t get to call me that,” Harry spat over him, his hand squeezing mine again, and I was quick to squeeze back. And then the man did roll his eyes.

“Right, okay, Harry. It’s disrespectful to call your dad by his first name.”

“Well you’re hardly a father to me, so I don’t really see why that matters.” Harry’s words were slurring as he staggered forward a little bit, and Arthur’s lips turned down in a sour scowl.

“You’re proper wasted right now. Jesus, Harry-“

Fuck you.” My free hand quickly came up to Harry’s chest as I pivoted myself to somewhat get in front of him while he took another step toward his dad.

“Harry, please. Let’s just go,” I begged quietly, my eyes pleading with him. But his eyes were near black as he glared past me.

“Yes, Harry, why don’t you listen to the girl?” Arthur jeered, causing me to throw him a pointed look. Because, really? Really?

“Come on,” I murmured, tugging on Harry’s hand and practically dragging him out of the store. We were nearly back to the car when door to the 7-Eleven flew open and Arthur took long strides to reach us.

“You’re a pretty little thing, aren’t you?” Arthur’s called as his eyes greedily raked over my body. Subconsciously I moved myself behind Harry again, not at all liking the attention from the older man. “Can’t be more than eighteen. So tell me, why are you wasting your time with this fuck up?” My eyes nearly bulged out of my skull at his words, and Harry was absolutely shaking next to me.

“Excuse me-“

“Oh, where are my manners? We’ve not been formally introduced. I’m Arthur Styles. And what’s your name, beautiful?” He extended a hand toward me, that same smirk that Harry wore the first time we met on his lips.

“It’s none of your business, you sick fuck!” Harry called out, smacking his father’s hand away with such ferocity that Arthur stood and stared at him in complete shock for a few moments.

“Harry-“ And then Harry threw my hand down and stormed into his father’s space, nothing but rage in his eyes.

“You do not speak to her like that, do you hear me? You’ve fucked up a lot of things, but you are never going to get your hands on her, you perverted bastard!” Harry roared, his hands gripping tightly to the lapels of Arthur’s blazer. My eyes were glued to the scene in front of me, and because of this, I didn’t see the police cruiser that had slowly pulled up to the scene. The store clerk must have called them when Harry started shouting. Harry was huffing at that point, but he released his dad and took a small step back, trying to reign himself in. And I thought we were home free, because Harry was turning back to me and I was just about to open his door when,

“You think she’s so fantastic now, but don’t worry, you’ll get sick her just like I did with your whore of a mother.”

I don’t think I’d ever seen Harry move faster when he whipped back around and threw his fist into Arthur’s face. A sickening crack resonated through the air, and then suddenly two police officers were storming onto the scene, one grabbing Harry and hauling him away from his father. Everything after that happened in a blur. I tried to get to Harry as the one officer was putting handcuffs on him, but I was quickly shooed away by the other officer. Of course, they both knew Arthur, greeting him and asking him if he was alright. Because of course he was friends with the authorities. Harry was being dragged over to the police cruiser, looking at me frantically and constantly shouting to me that he was sorry. What he was apologizing to me for, I wasn’t sure. I understood exactly why he’d reacted like that about the comment made about Anne. I couldn’t hold that against him.

Once Harry had been placed in the car, I paid more attention to Arthur and the other officer. Apparently Arthur wasn’t going to press charges, thank god, but Harry still was going to be taken in due to being Drunk in Public. Of course, none of the officers asked for my account of the situation, but they told me that I could come to the station and get him no earlier than eight am. Both of the officers then went back to the car to fill out something and speak with Harry. And Arthur took that as his cue to saunter over to me.

“Do you see what a mistake you’re making by being with him? Harry’s violent and impulsive-“

“You were provoking him,” I spat out, pulling my hand away from where he was trying to grab it.

“Come on, sweetheart, I’m just-“

“Don’t. We were leaving.”

“Yes, but then I wouldn’t have gotten to meet you. Honestly, you’re wasting your time. Harry’s a child. Now, my flat is just a ten minute drive from here. Why don’t you come over for a drink?” Once again my eyes nearly bulged out of my head as I stared incredulously up at him.

“Are you joking?” I nearly screeched.

“Come on, we can have some wine, get to know each other-“ Before I could stop myself, my hand shot up and smacked him right across the face before I took a giant step away from him.

“You leave me the hell alone,” I hissed, yanking the car keys out of my pocket and storming to the driver’s side. Thankfully, Arthur made no moves to follow me, and I sped all the way back to Anne’s.
When I got back Anne was still fast asleep thankfully, because I wasn’t sure how I would explain any of that to her. Plus, I felt that was kind of Harry’s decision. So I crept back to his room and tried to make myself fall asleep since I was exhausted, and I still had about five hours until I could get Harry anyway.

My alarm went off at 7:30 and I used my GPS to get me to the precinct. By the time I got there it was after eight, but they said that Harry needed to pay a fine before he could be released. So, not knowing if he even had his wallet on him, I took care of it, which I knew he’d be annoyed with. But at that point I just wanted him out of there. After I’d paid the fine, another man went through some door to fetch him and soon he was being handed a small plastic bag containing his cell phone and wallet and then he was allowed through the small gate. My arms were immediately around his neck as I pulled him into me, my fingers running through the hair at the nape of his neck as he held me.

“Are you okay?” I asked as I pulled back a bit, my hands coming up to frame his face. He nodded lightly, placing a small kiss to the heel of my hand before pulling me into him again.

“I’m so sorry about all of this,” he murmured into my neck, but I just shook my head.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. Your dad, he- you didn’t deserve that, Harry.” He nodded again before placing a quick kiss to my cheek and then releasing me to turn to the guard at the front desk.

“Don’t I need to pay a fine or summat?”

“She took care of it,” the guard answered with a nod in my direction, his eyes never leaving his computer. Harry spun back to me with a slightly agitated look on his face, but I just took his hand and headed for the exit.

“You didn’t have to do that,” he muttered as we headed for the car, but I just gave his hand a squeeze.

“I know I didn’t have to, but I did. So don’t worry about it, okay?”

“Well how much was it? I’ll pay you back.” But I rolled my eyes and hopped into the driver’s seat, not missing the groan he sent me as he threw himself into the passenger’s seat. “I can drive, you know.” A deep scowl sat on his lips as he crossed his arms over his chest and slouched in his seat. I turned in my seat to face him, not able to hide the small smile reaching my lips. “What’re you smiling about?”

“You’re just really cute right now,” I grinned, reaching over to pull one of his arms free. But he just whined and turned away from me, mumbling about how he was “absolutely not cute.” I couldn’t help but laugh then, but I reigned it in as he shot me a wounded look over his shoulder.

“Okay, okay, not cute. Are you hungry though? Or did you just want to go home?”

“Hungry, but I’m paying,” he muttered, finally uncrossing his arms to buckle his seatbelt.

“Fine, fine. Any suggestions?” And then Harry directed me to a small diner a few minutes away. We didn’t talk much while we were there, as Harry looked like he was about to pass out on the table the entire time. But I was assuming that he didn’t get any sleep overnight, so I wasn’t too upset. In fact, I probably hurried us along so I could get him to a bed.

Not an hour later, we were back in the apartment. Anne had already left for work, so there weren’t any awkward run ins, and soon Harry was shucking off his jeans and shirt and throwing himself under his blankets.

“Do you need anything?” I asked quietly, brushing some of his hair off his face before his hand came up to grab my wrist.

“Just you,” he murmured, eyes already drooping shut. So I quickly got rid of my leggings and curled into his side, pulling the blankets over us and snuggling into him.



The second time I woke up that day it was around three in the afternoon and Harry was rubbing small circles into my hip. He placed a small kiss to the tip of my nose as my eyes fluttered open and then he was placing a chaste kiss to my lips.

“Hi,” I murmured, chasing his lips for another kiss, causing him to chuckle, but indulge me. “How are you?” I asked quietly, my eyes searching his. But he shook his head a little, his eyes losing mine before he mumbled a small,

“‘M fine.”

“Harry,” I caught his attention as I tangled our legs together and traced a hand down his jaw. His eyes snapped back to mine as he kissed at my thumb. “You can talk to me about this. I know everything with your dad is a sore subject, but you don’t have to bottle it up. I’m here for you.” He stared at me for a few long moment, his eyes glazing over.

“I just-“ His voice broke as a tear leaked from the corner of his eye. And before I could even move to wipe it away, he was practically throwing himself at me, his arms coming around my waist as he dug his face into my shoulder. “He ruined everything!” he wailed, and all I could do was hold him and run my fingers through his hair while he shook in my arms. “We- we were a family and I looked up to him and he just- he destroyed everything! I just don’t understand how he could do that. How he could say that he loved us and then turn around and just abandon us. And like, if he could do that, who’s to say that I couldn’t? That’s what scares me so much. I don’t want to be like him, Jude. I can’t be like him. I can’t hurt you like he hurt Mum.”

“You won’t, Harry, you-“

“But you don’t know that!”

“But I know you.” My voice was shaking as tears gathered in my own eyes. It was always so strange to see Harry vulnerable like this and it always shocked me to know just how broken he truly was.

“But- but I used to sleep around like he did. I used to-“

Used to. As in, you don’t anymore. I trust you. You’re not him, Harry.” Another round of sobs wracked through his body as he held me tighter and then he was just whispering the same three words into my skin over and over again.

I love you.”

“Harry,” I finally whispered, pulling him back a little so that I could look him in the eye. His eyes were big and red and puffy, and his cheeks were tearstained, but I’d never wanted to kiss him more. So I did just that. And then I pulled back, trying to collect my thoughts again as he stared back at me, his bottom lip caught between his teeth. “I- I know that I struggle with saying it. But you have to know that I care about you so, so much. It’s just that I’ve never been in a relationship before and I think I’m still trying to figure out what exactly it means, but- you mean the world to me and-“ Harry cut me off by placing his lips back on mine, his hand coming up to cup my cheek. We kissed for a while, morning breath be damned, but we both just needed to feel each other. After a long while, he pulled away though, resting his forehead against mine.

“I get it, Jude, I do. And I don’t want you to say it just because you think you need to. So if and when you feel comfortable enough to say it, I’ll be here.” My hand came up to curl around his wrist as I smiled back at him.

“Thank you for being so patient with me,” I whispered, prompting Harry to peck my lips once again.

“Well, I love you.”

And then we made love, and I’m only calling it that because it was the first time that Harry and I had been so agonizingly slow and tender with each other. It was the first time that the endgame wasn’t getting off, but rather just to feel each other and to connect with each other. Never had I felt so wrapped up in love and want and adoration and care. And then once we were satisfied we showered together and got dressed and Harry made us some grilled cheese. We ended up sitting at the island while we ate, just making stupid heart eyes at each other the entire time.

But then Anne came home. We only knew this because of the door slamming loudly in her wake and then she was storming through the apartment shouting Harry’s name.

“Erm, in the kitchen, Mum!” he called back, his eyebrows furrowing as he got up, collecting our plates and placing them in the dishwasher. Soon Anne was in the doorway, looking more angry than I’d ever seen her. “Hey,” Harry said hesitantly as he moved toward the exit.

“Don’t you dare ‘hey’ me, Harry Edward,” Anne snapped, her eyes narrowing at her son.

“What’re you-?”

“Jude, baby, could you give us a few minutes?” Anne called sweetly as her eyes turned to me, a forced smile touching her lips.

“Yeah, of course,” I murmured, quickly hopping down from my seat and heading out of the kitchen, giving Harry’s hip a light squeeze as I passed him. I’d expected Anne to wait until she heard the bedroom door shut before she started on him, but as soon as I was out of the kitchen I heard what sounded like her smacking him around the head.

“What the hell is wrong with you?”

What are you talking about?” Harry bellowed, and just the ferocity of his voice made me stop in my tracks, halfway to the bedroom. The apartment was eerily silent for a few long seconds before Anne finally murmured,

“Your father called me.”

“He what?”

“You assaulted him?” And I heard Harry scoff.

“Please, it was one punch-“

“That is assault, Harry! You were arrested!” Anne voice had gone all shrill and the two of them were just shouting at that point. I wouldn’t have been surprised if a neighbor had called the cops, to be honest. Thankfully that didn’t happen though.

“Yeah, but not for that!”

“No, for being Drunk in Public, which is hardly a step up. What were you thinking? You can’t just hit him!”

“Mum, if you had heard what he said-“

“Then you walk away! You don’t- Jesus, Harry- don’t give him a reason to put a target on your back!” Anne’s voice had broken at that point as she started to cry a little.

“Mum-“ Harry murmured, as I’m sure he moved to hold her.

“You know what he has on you, H. You can’t give him a reason to use it. If he ever-“

“He won’t, I promise. I’ll take care of it.”

“No, no, I don’t want you talking to him.”

“But-“

“I will speak with him, and I’ll take of this, okay? I just need you to stay away from him.” I was assuming that Harry pulled her into his arms then, because when she spoke again her voice came out muffled. “I love you so much, Harry.”

“I love you too, Mum. I think Jude and I should probably head home though.”

“I think that’s probably a good idea. Why don’t you go get her?” And that was my cue to silently sprint to the bedroom, toss myself onto the bed and pretend to be on my phone. Seconds later, Harry strode into the room, his eyes falling on me.

“How much of that did you hear?” he asked, his arms folding across his chest. I pulled my phone away from my face, giving him what I hoped was a nonchalant look.

“What? I didn’t hear anything,” I said with a small shrug. And soon Harry was across the room, crawling on top of me and tossing my phone to the side.

“You know what?” he whispered, his mouth just centimeters from mine.

“What?” I squeaked out, my eyes darting up to his.

“You’re a really shit liar.” There was a giant smirk on his face as I pouted and shoved him off of me, but he snagged my hips and pulled me with him, effectively leaving me to straddle his hips.

“I am not,” I whined as he sat up, his arms winding around the small of my back and pulling me flush against his chest.

“No, you definitely are. But it’s okay, it’s pretty cute when you try anyway,” he murmured, nibbling at my lower lip. Part of me was hesitant to give into him, since he had left the bedroom door open and Anne could just walk in at any time, but the other part of me was stronger and soon my hands were tangling in his hair and I captured his bottom lip between my own. One of his hands came up to cradle my face as he deepened the kiss and I wasn’t even really thinking when my hips ground into his, prompting a small noise from the back of his throat.

“H, did you want- oh! Sorry, I didn’t-“ Anne turned her back on us, cupping her hands over her eyes as she waited for us to get situated. Perhaps I should have listened to the reasonable part of myself. I quickly got off of Harry’s lap, finger combing my hair back into place and straightening my top.

“Knocking, Mum, it’s-“

“You left the door open, I didn’t think I needed to knock. Are you both decent?” She called, still not looking at us.

“We weren’t even doing anything, just turn around,” Harry huffed, finally getting off the bed. Anne slowly turned around, peeking between her fingers first before taking her hands away from her face.

“I just, erm, wanted to see if you wanted to have dinner here or if you were just going to head out,” she stumbled through her sentence, still not meeting either of our eyes.

“Think we should probably just head out.”

“Right, okay. I’ll just, okay, I’ll meet you in the living room.” And then she scurried away and Harry turned to find me blushing and soon he was openly laughing at me.

“Don’t laugh at me, you little shit!” I crowed, smacking his chest before moving to gather what little things I had with me.

“It’s not a big deal,” Harry chuckled out, tossing a shirt into the duffel we were sharing.

“You could’ve closed the door, at least.”

“Well I wasn’t expecting anything to happen!” He retorted, but the smirk on his face proved otherwise, so I shot him a dubious look. “What? I can’t help it that my girlfriend’s really fit and she turns me on!”

“When did you become such a horny little high schooler?” I laughed, flopping onto the bed to put my shoes on.

“Hey, I’m only twenty-one! I have needs, woman!” he whined, but he was laughing too, so I let out a short ‘mmhm.’ “Hey,” he murmured, swooping down to my level, and I raised my eyebrows in acknowledgement. “Love you,” he whispered before capturing my lips once again. I gave his hip a squeeze in response, pecking him on the lips a few times.

So maybe it wasn’t the fun, relaxed weekend I’d been hoping for. But it was a weekend with Harry, and that’s really all that mattered to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
ter der.
thoughts thoughts thoughts?
ALSO, harry is going to need to ask jude to prom soon, and i've been working with an idea, but i'd love to know how you guys think he should ask her! so please leave your thoughts/suggestions in a comment!?

ALSO ALSO, the reception of Fish Bowl. has been even better than i'd ever hoped for just a small prologue, so that will probably be updated in the near future, so keep your eyes peeled!

so anywho, please let me know your thoughts on this chapter and the prom thing and yeah!
i love love love every single one of you!
come talk to meee! poppingchampayne.tumblr.com