Status: does anyone even read the author's notes or..?

Ignite.

VII.

When I woke up the following morning, I immediately noticed two things: I was tangled in sheets in an empty bed and the smell of waffles was drifting through the expansive apartment. A small smile flitted to my lips at the latter and I quickly pulled myself out of bed and padded into the kitchen. There he was, that gorgeous son of a bitch, once again at the counter, standing over a waffle iron. The only thing covering his tall and lean frame was a pair of dark boxer briefs and I could literally feel my mouth watering. But if anyone asked, I would blame that on the heavenly smelling waffles he was making.

I’m not sure what possessed me to cross the kitchen and wrap my arms around his bare waist, but I was extremely grateful for it. He jumped slightly at my touch, which I found adorable, before his free hand came to rest over one of mine.

“Good morning,” he breathed out, his voice still rough and raspy from sleep. His hand gave mine a gentle squeeze and I felt a small knot forming in my stomach. Perhaps it was the butterflies though.

“Good morning,” I murmured just before placing a feather light kiss to his shoulder.

“You’re awfully bold this morning, aren’t you?” A small chuckle escaped his lips before he took a step back, spinning to face me. His hands were immediately cupping my face, something I noticed he did quite frequently, before he leaned down and placed a sweet kiss to my lips. “I hope you like waffles? I wasn’t sure if you did, but I really wanted some, so…”

“Waffles are great,” I replied with a grin, one that he was quick to match.

“Good! I’ve got strawberries to put on them as well.” And again my mouth was watering, this time actually for the food.

“Tell me you’ve got powdered sugar,” I practically begged, causing him to let out another laugh and nod toward a cabinet in the corner.

“Top shelf. Knock yourself out.” A small squeal escaped my lips as I pulled from his grasp and practically skipped across the room.

“You’re perfect!” I called in a sing song voice as I reached the cabinet. I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach the bag, as it was on the very top shelf. After placing the sugar on the counter with the strawberries, I’d recalled where he got the plates from the night before and made my way to get some. Once they were on the table, I ended up ransacking all of the drawers in pursuit of silverware, only to hear him laughing at me.

“I can get that, you know.”

“It’s fine! You’re cooking, I’ve got it.” I shot him a quick smile, finally finding the cutlery and soon everything was set out of the table, mugs included. Without his permission, I went to his refrigerator in hopes of finding some orange juice. And because he was Jesus, there was a full carton. From the corner of my eye, I could see Harry smiling fondly at me as I moved around the kitchen, and at that point I couldn’t control the butterflies. I don’t know what it was about Harry. Sometimes I just felt so completely comfortable around him.

Soon we were at the table, digging into the perfect waffles he had made us.

“It’s official. I’m never eating out again. From this moment on, you’re making all of my meals.” A huge grin came to his face at that as he shoved another forkful into his mouth.

“That could be arranged.” He couldn’t wipe the smile off his face, and I was once again seeing just how different Harry could be day to day. I mean, this Harry was completely different from the Harry that I walked in on having a threesome last night. And suddenly I had a sour taste in my mouth. Part of me just couldn’t let that go. I sat silently for a few minutes, just intently chewing my food as I thought things over. “What are you thinking about?” Harry finally asked, his eyes piercing mine. I swallowed loudly, willing myself to come up with some clever lie. But I couldn’t stop the words from coming out of my mouth.

“Can we talk about last night?” He immediately agreed, and I was more than willing to bet that he thought I was talking about Lucas. Which is why it was a little frightening to let the question slip past my lips. “Why were those girls here?” His whole demeanor changed as his eyes dropped to his plate, a large sigh escaping his lips. I waited silently as he took his time gathering his thoughts. I didn’t want to upset him further. Finally, after another sigh, he brought his eyes back up to mine and said,

“I missed you. And I was furious with myself for what had happened between us, and idunno- I just. I thought it would help at the time.”

“Is this like a normal occurrence-?”

“No! No, I promise you it’s not. I wasn’t thinking.”

“Were they prostitutes?” I mean, it was sort of a fair question. But he quickly shook his head, looking rather ashamed of himself.

“Friends of friends.” I nodded silently, not really knowing what to say to that. So we ate in silence for a few more minutes before a small smile reached my face.

“You used the guest bedroom.” His eyes met mine again and he smiled a little as well.

“I told you I wasn’t lying about that!”

“So does that mean I’m the first girl to sleep in your bed then?”

“And last,” he said with a small nod.

“Well, I mean, you could always meet some other girl at a show and stalk her…” It was meant to be a small joke, but the color in his eyes deepened as he gazed at me.

“I won’t. And I won’t be bringing any girls back here for a shag either. I can promise you that.”

“Well, I would never stop you. I don’t have a say in that.”

“Sure you do. And I won’t.” His eyes held sincerity and I felt sort of dumb as I asked,

“Why?” Harry breathed out a short, sort of sarcastic laugh through his nose.

“You don’t get it, do you, Jude? I like you. I don’t want to be shagging other girls, I want-”

“To be shagging me?” My tone was a little snippier than I’d meant it, but I couldn’t really help it.

“I don’t know, maybe some time down the road. But it’s not my main priority with you.”

“Why? Because I won’t give it up? Is that why you’re into me? Because you like the chase? Y’know, Bri warned me about this-” I wasn’t sure why I was arguing with him like this. He was clearly trying to be sincere and here I was, tearing down everything.

“Do you believe everything Bri says? The girl doesn’t know me as well as she’d like to think she does, believe it or not. And should you really trust her judgement? Alex told me how hard she was pushing for Lucas and look how that turned out.” My face fell as I recalled Lucas’ wandering hands and a sick feeling settled in my stomach. “Jude, I’m sorry. I just- you get me so worked up. You think I have all these ulterior motives, when really I just want to be with you. I feel good when I’m around you. I don’t feel like this brooding little misfit that everyone makes me out to be. I’m just Harry and I love that you can make me feel like that. I like you. Please understand that.” He was practically pleading by the end of his tiny speech, and soon I felt my ankle hooking with his. He gave me a small smile, glad that we had some sort of understanding.

I guess it was just all so weird for me. This was uncharted territory, really. I’d never had a guy who was genuinely into me before. We all knew my experience with guys was practically at zero, so this? This was scary. And I guess that’s why I fought it so hard. Plus, y’know, it didn’t help that I’d tried to let Lucas in and that blew up in my face.

We finished our meals in a mostly comfortable silence and it was then that I realized we’d only slept a few hours. Why either of us got up so early, I wasn’t sure, but I could feel the fatigue setting in again with my full stomach. So I’d asked Harry if we could go sleep more and he agreed, his fingers lacing with mine as we headed for his bedroom. We laid facing each other once again, and his hand quickly came up to push my bangs off my face.

“You’re so beautiful,” he whispered, causing a deep blush to settle on my cheeks as a small smile came to his lips. I scooted closer and placed a quick kiss on his lips, not knowing how else to react. He let out a content hum, just gazing over at me. “How did I get so lucky?” His thumb gently stroked over my cheek and I couldn’t help but let out a small giggle.

“Gee, I don’t know, you stalked me?”

“Well, whoever said ‘persistence pays off’ was clearly right,” he answered with a cheeky grin, placing another kiss to my lips. We continued to talk in hushed voices, regardless of the fact that no one would ever be able to hear us. We shared stories and random facts and giggles and kisses and soon I was tucked into his side, falling into another peaceful sleep.

The next time we woke up it was around two in the afternoon and we both decided that Harry should probably take me home. He insisted that I just wear his clothes home, which I found out was because he had taken my clothes earlier that morning and ran them through the wash. But he’d forgotten about them and hadn’t yet put them in the dryer. But his clothes were more than comfortable and he didn’t have to try too hard to get me to keep them on. I refused to put on my heels though, as my feet were still killing me, so I walked through the building and to his car barefoot.

“Are you going to tell your parents about Lucas?” Harry had asked as we drove down 95. One hand was lazily placed atop the wheel as his other held mine over the center console.

“I can’t,” I muttered lamely, causing his eyes to find me briefly as his eyebrows furrowed.

“And why the hell not?” he asked gruffly, prompting me to squeeze his hand in an attempt to calm him down. And then I dove into the story about how Mr. Andrews had some huge business proposition and how my father was investing in it and how Mr. Andrews was giving my father special treatment and how I needed to see Lucas to keep that treatment secure. “That’s a load of bullshit. He’s a total twat!”

“I know, Harry. I’ll figure it out, okay? And I promise I’ll be safe.” He gave my hand a tight squeeze and much too soon we were pulling into my driveway. Since my parents were at work, he didn’t need to drop me off at the end. He led me to my doorstep and pulled me into his arms, holding me tightly for a few long moments. Finally he pulled away, but only enough so he could place his lips onto mine. He kissed me deeply, but it wasn’t the hard and aggressive kind like Lucas’.

“I think I’m gonna go to the shop to see if they need me to work, but if you need anything at all, please text me,” he made me promise, and I nodded eagerly. He placed one more kiss to my lips before stepping away, holding my hand for as long as he could before heading back to his car. I waited as he drove away, and once he was out of sight, I let out a breathy sigh and headed inside.

“Miss Judith, is that you?” Margot called from the kitchen as soon as the front door closed behind me. I called a quick ‘yes’ as I made my way to her. She was standing at the island, her hands on her hips and a concerned expression on her face. “Lucas has been calling nonstop looking for you.”

“Mm, okay, I’ll take care of it,” I mumbled, turning to leave the kitchen.

“Miss Judith, why don’t you sit? I made banana bread.” Damn her. She knew banana bread was my favorite. So I placed myself at the island and soon she was placing a dish in front of me with a large slice of the loaf and then a mug of steaming tea. This was her ritual when she wanted to have a “serious talk” with me.

“So what’s up, Margot?” I asked before tearing off a piece of the bread and popping into my mouth. Jesus, between Margot and Harry’s cooking, I was going to die.

“Where is nice Harry boy? He has not been here in few weeks.” I’d always loved Margot’s slightly broken English. It made her that much cuter.

“He, uh- we weren’t really talking once I started seeing Lucas,” I mumbled, my eyes finding my plate.

“Why not?”

“He doesn’t like Lucas.”

“Do you like Lucas?”

“Uhm, yeah, I guess so. He’s a nice guy,” I lied through my teeth, quickly taking a sip of the scalding tea and ignoring the burning in the back of my throat.

“But you also like Harry boy,” She stated matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, Harry’s...Harry’s something else.”

“Good something?”

“Yes, definitely.”

“So why don’t you see Harry instead? You looked happy when he would come see you. You look not so happy when Lucas comes here.” I let out a loud sigh as I gazed across the island at her. Her eyes were heavy with concern and it made my heart swell to know she cared so much.

“I couldn’t see Harry, Margot. My parents would never allow it. He’s not exactly the most clean cut guy.”

“What does matter what your parents want? What do you want, Miss Judith?”
What did I want? Certainly not Lucas. But was I really interested in seeing Harry? Yes, he had his ups, but we all knew he had his downs. Did I really want to get involved with that?

“I’m still trying to figure that out, Margot,” I finally answered honestly. She nodded in understanding before saying,

“Well, I hope when you do, it is what make you happy, not your parents.” I gave her a grateful smile then, glad she had this talk with me.

“Thank you for the banana bread, it’s wonderful.” A big grin came to her face then.

“Of course, Miss Judith. I know how much you love it.” Soon I was out of my seat and around the island, wrapping my arms around her and holding her tightly. Sometimes Margot was so much more of a mother to me than my own mom.

“I love you, Margot.”

“I love you, too, Miss Judith. You will be okay.”

--

The following Saturday, my mother and I were in the kitchen helping Margot make cupcakes just because. Well, I was helping Margot make cupcakes. My mother was sitting at the island idly flipping through a fashion magazine. Harry had been texting me all morning, sending cute messages about how he missed me and how bored he was at work and how much he wanted to see me. My phone had just buzzed again from the counter, causing my mother to let out a sigh as she lifted her eyes from the magazine.

“Judith, who have you been talking to all day?” she asked in a huff, the buzzing clearly getting to her.

“Oh, just Bri. She’s having an outfit dilemma,” I lied, knowing she would buy it. She nodded offhandedly before returning her attention to the glossy pages. I swiped up my phone, a smile coming to my lips at the message.

i’ve got a surprise for you. x

I didn’t even have a chance to reply before the doorbell sounded through the house.

“Judith, go get that, darling. Margot’s busy,” my mother droned, her eyes never leaving the page. And Margot was busy, scooping the cake batter into the little cupcake tins. So with a sigh, I dropped my phone to the counter and headed to the foyer. Whoever the hell decided to interrupt baking with Margot on and Saturday afternoon better have a damn good reason.

“Hello, beautiful,” his deep voice sounded as soon as I opened the front door. My eyes immediately bulged as they rose to Harry’s, whose were glistening happily as his hands snagged my hips and he pulled me forward. An urgent and needy kiss was placed to my lips as he held onto me tightly.

“What’re you doing here?” I gasped as he finally released me and I steadied myself.

“I wanted to see you,” he answered innocently, his eyes still shining. And as sweet as that was, I couldn’t stop freaking out.

“Harry, my mother is home! You could’ve at least given me some warning.”

“Uhm, hello, I clearly texted you saying I had a surprise,” he argued jokingly, a cheeky grin on his face. I rolled my eyes with a scoff before telling him that I hated him. “Well I’m glad you missed me, too!” With another roll of my eyes, I placed a quick kiss to his lips, immediately causing him to grin against my lips. “I thought it was about time I met your mother.” Which was a little confusing, honestly. I mean, we weren’t going out, so I didn’t see why it was necessary. But for some reason, I decided this was okay and led him into my house. He tried to grab for my hand, but I pulled it away, giving him an apologetic smile. My mother couldn’t know we were cozy.

“Judith, who was that?” my mother called as we rounded the corner.

“Hello, Mrs. Brighton. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Harry spoke brightly, crossing the kitchen and extending his hand to her. I could’ve died right on the spot. My mother’s eyes quickly leapt from the page at a male’s voice and she gave him a quick once over, assessing him. Finally, after a long pause, she extended her hand to him.

“And who might you be?”

“My name’s Harry Styles,” he said with one of those million dollar smiles of his. She was quick to return it with a surprisingly genuine looking one. My eyes met Margot’s across the kitchen and she gave me a knowing smile. Margot was rather fond of Harry.

“So how do you two know each other?” my mother asked, crossing one leg over the other as she gazed at the two of us.

“Oh, I met her-”

“Through Alex,” I piped up. My mother could not know about the basement shows. She would probably have an aneurism. “Harry’s friends with Alex.” And it wasn’t a lie, so I didn’t see the problem.

“Oh, what a lovely boy! How is he, Judith? I feel like you never talk about him.” Yeah, because you and I hardly talk, Mother. “Is Bri still seeing him?”

“Yep, still going strong,” I answered with a smile. I really did love the two of them together.

“Oh, good. We should really have them over for dinner soon. Margot, remind me to have them over for dinner soon.”

“Of course, ma’am.”

“Are you making cupcakes? Do you need any help?” Before Margot could answer, Harry was across the kitchen and taking the bowl from her hands. He finished filling the last tray while Margot put the others in the oven and I watched as my mother stared fondly at him. A little creepy, but I was glad she liked him.

“Well aren’t you a fantastic little helper?” she cooed from her seat at the island. Was she flirting with Harry?

“I love cooking. I always used to help my mum when I younger,” Harry explained with a broad smile, and I couldn’t keep one from forming on my lips as well.

“Oh, Harry, you sure are the charmer.” He gave a nervous chuckle then.

“Thank you, Mrs. Brighton.”

“Please, call me Doris.” Oh my god. She was flirting with my Harry. I mean. Harry. She was flirting with Harry.

The next two hours carried on rather quickly, but definitely smoothly. Harry continued to joke around with Margot and my mother, and she was constantly complimenting him. Like probably at least once every two minutes. And I just sort of sat there and watched it all. It was weird how easily Harry gelled with my mother. Normally she was very snotty, and I was definitely expecting her to give him a cold shoulder with his tattoos poking out from under his tee shirt. But she was completely smitten!

“Oh, Judith, now that you’re not seeing Lucas, you should probably scoop this one up!” she called to me, and immediately Harry’s eyes were on me. I’d yet to tell him about Lucas and I ending things. Though it had only happened the night before. “You’re an absolute catch, Harry,” she purred and Harry let out a small laugh as he helped Margot finish icing the cupcakes.

“Oh, stop, I’m nothing special,” he replied with wink. He winked at her. Harry winked at my mother.

“Nonsense, you’re wonderful! Boys like you are hard to come by anymore. I’m serious, Judith. You’d better get to him before another girl does.” A deep blush settled on my cheeks over the fact that my mother was practically shoving Harry at me. He smiled fondly at me from across the room though, knowing that he already wanted me and there would be no other girl.

“We’ll see what happens, Mom,” I barely managed to squeak out, so embarrassed that this afternoon was even happening.

Harry decided to leave soon after though, saying he was meeting a friend for dinner in the city. So after my mother insisted he come by more often, I was finally allowed to lead him to the door.

“This was nice,” he said with a smile as we stood on my front step. He looked so genuinely happy and I couldn’t stop myself from pressing my lips to his. His arms wrapped around my waist as he pulled me into him and we kissed for a short while before pulling apart.

“I’m glad you stopped by.”

“Me too. Hey, babe,” he started, my eyes immediately finding his as I waited for his question. Though I had an idea. “You and Lucas are done now?”

“Yes, we talked everything over. I didn’t get a chance to tell you, but it only happened last night.”

“I’ll call you later and we can talk about it?” he asked, his eyebrows going up slightly in concern. I nodded quickly, placing another kiss to his lips. He then bid me adieu, promising to call later and then heading off to the city.
♠ ♠ ♠
harry's cute. i like harry.
and i like this chapter. it gives you guys a little more insight on jude's relationship with margot. jude's got a few things to think about, yeah?

lemme know what you're thinking? i'm hoping i might get a bit more feedback with the quick update. so yeah, don't be a silent reader?
goodnight, my darlings.(: