Status: This is not the end! Hold on people!

Don't Leave Me

Chapter 2

I woke up to screaming, and yelling. Athena had sneaked her way into my bed, and was covering her ears, crying her heart out. I hugged her gently, and got out of bed. I whispered that I would only be a couple of minutes. I slowly crept downstairs, and the screaming became clearer and louder.
"HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO ME, HAROLD?! I DON'T DESERVE THIS! THE LORD WILL PUNISH YOU!"
I cautiously opened the the living room door just a crack.
"This is the exact same reason I'm leaving you. But I am taking my kids. They will be better off without you! You need help, Petunia-"
"SHUT UP! GO ON, GO AND RUN AWAY WITH YOUR LITTLE GIRLFRIEND! BUT I'M KEEPING THE KIDS! YOU HAVE PUSHED TO THE LIMIT!"
"Petunia, it's obvious that you have problems. I could pay for your classes-"
"YOU ARE NOT TAKING THEM AWAY FROM ME! THEY ARE MY PROPERTY!"
That's enough. I had officially had it. I opened the door.
"What's going on?! Athena is crying her heart out up there!" I cried.
"Scarlett....Scarlett, come here. Come here, sweetie." my mom said quietly. I looked at her. She was drunk, and paranoid. I knew for a long time that she needed help with her drinking problem.
"No." I said, walking over to stand next to Dad. Her face distorted into a face full of fury.
"Scarlett, you said you were going to be five minutes!" It was Athena. She was holding The Hunger Games in her hand.
"Athena, why are you reading that book?! It's ridiculous, stuff like that doesn't happen in real life! Give it here!" my mom yelled.
"Why should she?! It's her book! And she can't even read! I'VE been teaching her, not you! Plus, there's better odds of the Hunger Games happening, than an invisible man in the sky, who you pray to becoming real!!" She gasped, and walked over to me. She slapped me hard across the face, leaving a red hand mark on my burning cheek. Dad pushed her to the ground. Trembling, she lifted her arm, holding something in her hand. I gasped.
"Mom, NO!" Too late. She had already pulled the trigger. A loud gunshot rang through the house.
"DAD!" I screamed, tears running down my cheeks. My dad was my best friend. He sunk to his knees, clutching his stopped heart. "DADDY NO!" Athena screamed. I kneeled by my father's body, and listened for a heartbeat. Nothing.
"YOU MURDERER!" I turned, only to find the gun in my face, my evil mother trembling.
"One has to do what the Lord tells us." she said shakily.
"SO HE TOLD YOU TO KILL HIM?!" I screamed. She pressed her finger slightly on the trigger.
"No, he told me to do the right thing. And right now, it feels as if the right thing to do is to kill you too. However, I won't harm you if you give me Athena and leave. And believe me, I will shoot."
I raised my hand and back slowly to the door, not turning away from my trigger-happy mother. I sobbed. As soon, as I got to the stairs, I ran. I packed a full suitcase with everything I needed. Clothes, toiletries, my iPhone and charger, pink headphones, and lastly, my ragdoll that my dad had brought me. I walked downstairs cautiously. Mom was still there, holding the gun. Athena was by the door, waiting for me.
"Don't think you're going to contact Athena. I've taken her phone away."
I looked at Athena.
"I'll come back for you. I promise." And with that, I ran out the door. I got into my red Kia Soul. I wanted to be far away from that crazy bitch. I went through my list of contacts on my iPhone. Kelly Ebber, Nora Edams....all of them were in Phoenix. I needed to get away. My eyes locked onto one specific contact. Michael Emerson....he lived in California now. He was my best friend until he moved last year. I dialled the number. Ring, ring, ring, ring...
"Hello?"
"Michael, it's Scarlett. Could I stay at yours please? I know this is sudden but-"
"Of course!" He seemed delighted. "Okay, I live in a place called Santa Carla. Once you get there, just call me. Okay?"
"Yep. See you then." I said hoarsely. I hung up the phone, and revved up the engine.

Santa Carla, here I come.
♠ ♠ ♠
For an idea of what Scarlett looks like, check my characters list.

Hope you enjoy this!