Status: on indefinite hiatus, I'm so sorry.

Mistaken.

Running.

I stood at the edge of the bridge, my eyes darting around like a wild animal's. There were a million and one thoughts buzzing around my head, my chest literally burning as I deeply, though not by choice, inhaled the smoggy air that I'd become so familiar with after all the years I'd lived here. I ran a shaking hand through my messy, dirty hair, my eyes widening and my feet carrying my already worn out body across the rickety bridge as I heard the voices getting closer, like a shadow creeping up on me, ready to suffocate me.

I nearly tripped over my own feet as I passed over the bridge, coming to the edge of a forest. I cursed under my breath, a soft cazzo, as I suddenly realized how dark it was, a few fat drops of rain beginning to fall, soon enough slicing through my peripheral vision, the sound thick as it immediately became torrential, my feet almost slipping in the mud as I started running again, not caring that the forest was abandoned, my mind ceasing to think about the many rumors of manic people living in it.

As soon as I made my way through the first batch of bushes and thorns, the sound of the rain was suppressed, and all I could now hear was the heavy panting of my labored breathing. I slowed down to a stop, leaning against an old oak tree that had been in the forest longer than I'd been alive.

I ran my fingers over the wet bark, my lips parting slightly as my breathing calmed down a little. I raised my head and saw the silhouette of the sky through the canopy of the leaves that dominated the top of the trees, just barely disguising the now dark grey, almost light black colour of the rain strewn sky, a shiver running through my sweatshirt clad frame, my hands instantly rubbing up and down my arms, trying to keep the whipping wind at bay.

My eyes stayed wide as I looked around, as if to make it easier to spy my tormentors who had been chasing after me for half an hour or so now. My legs were trembling as I tried to keep my eyes on everything, on all of the lighter spots between the bushes that were dotted around in mass clumps as I tried to make out if any of them were hiding behind the bushes, and I swallowed thickly.

Snap!

I quickly spun around and a soft whimper left me as I tried to determine where the snap of a twig had come from, my feet beginning to carry me through the middle of the forest, my mind reeling and my stomach churning as a shout of there he is, get the fucker! rang through the air.

"Frankie, Frankie, where are you?" Tears sprung to my eyes as I heard my twin brother, Romeo, call out to me, and I tried to locate him.

We'd split a few minutes ago and I desperately tried to locate him as the sounds of thudding footsteps came closer and closer, my breath coming in short, uneven gasps. I nearly tripped over a plant root that was sticking out at an awkward angle, my breath hitching and my stomach beginning to burn again.

"G-god, Romeo, where are you?!" I cried out for my sibling, stitches beginning to form in my sides as I tried to keep ahead of my pursuers, the edge of the forest and the path leading down to our house now in sight.

"Frankie, wait, I can't- offt!" Romeo's voice was cut off by a loud bang and I froze, my eyes widening as I came to an abrupt halt, looking up to the looming top of the forest, wisps of smoke coiling into the early evening sky.

"Shit, he's down, c'mon, let's get out of here!" I heard a frantic shout, followed by numerous amounts of footsteps trailing away, back the way they'd come from, and I raced back through to the middle clearing of the forest, not giving a shit about how much my sides were hurting, just wanting to find him.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter of a new fic idea that's been floating around my head for a few days now.

Comments? xo