Status: Completely Rewritten!

At the Ball

Neville Longbottom

I adjusted my tie and glanced at myself in the mirror once more. I wasn’t much for dressing up and I certainly didn’t look my best in these dress robes, but I finally gave up on looking any better and decided I was presentable. I turned my attention to the clock on the wall performing its chime seven times and realized I was late to meet Ginny, although I was sure she wouldn’t mind. Ginny didn’t really want to go to the Winter Ball with me, but since she was a third year she didn’t have much choice. Anyone less than fourth year wasn’t allowed at the ball unless they were accompanied by someone of age. I was just Ginny’s ticket into the dance, but it didn’t bother me. She was Ron’s sister and a very nice girl, and I needed someone to take. I rushed down the stairs of the boys’ dormitory to meet Ginny in the common room, but didn’t see her anywhere.

I had been waiting for nearly 15 minutes, which wasn’t that long, but the dance had already started and everyone had left the common room. I decided to go upstairs and check to see if Ginny was possibly maimed or injured. The girls’ dormitory door was propped open and I tapped gently on the door in order to make my presence known.

Whoever was behind the door was giggling quite loudly and it was clear there were two people in the room. I didn’t want to disturb them, but I did want to see if they happened to know where Ginny was. I cracked the door open a little further, just enough so that I could see inside.

I peeked my head in and saw Ginny laying on her bed, curled into a ball. Cedric was leaning over her, kissing her forehead and tickling her furiously. They were really rather cute.

I didn’t find myself feeling jealous, as one might expect when they find their date to the Winter Ball being tickled by another man, but I did feel a twang of sadness for poor Cho Chang. It occurred to me that Cho would definitely not approve of what was going on, but I didn’t feel that it was my place to tell her.

I decided I would leave Ginny and Cedric to their playtime and let Cho figure out about the goings-on on her own. Thus, I headed toward the ball by myself, planning to meet with a few of my mates upon my arrival.

When I walked into the ball, the bright, snow-white decorations stung my eyes and I wished that I had brought a pair of the sunglasses Gram had sent me. I walked over to Seamus and chatted with him and Dean for a little while until Ginny finally entered. To my surprise, she started walking over towards me. I had assumed that she would know be Cedric’s date to the dance, but it appeared that they were not acknowledging one another. Then I realized what was happening. Ginny and Cedric had no intention of making their relationship public and I assumed would continue seeing each other behind closed doors, although, none of this was any of my business. I had managed to keep under the radar by staying out of other people’s drama thus far, and I had no intention of getting noticed now.

Ginny approached me and apologized for being late, saying she had spilt something on her dress. I gave her a strange look and then realized she had no idea I knew what was going on. I decided it was best to keep it that way.

Ginny stood with me for a while, but excused herself shortly after arriving.

When she finally returned, she apologized for being gone so long, but this time she didn’t even offer an excuse. The room’s attention was quickly brought to the small quarrel going on between Cedric and Cho. I knew this fight could only have one logical cause, and that cause happened to be my date. Ginny looked up at me with a shocked expression and I had no clue what to say to her.

Cho ran out of the room crying and Cedric sat down at a table, placing his head in his hands. Everyone went back to their own business and it became clear that Cho was not coming back, Cedric was not getting up, and they were no longer together.

I turned to Ginny who was still staring at the space the fight had taken place. I knew she wanted nothing more than to go over to Cedric and tell him everything was going to be alright, and at that moment it became clear to me what my mission in life was. I turned back to the place Ginny was focusing her attention on and placed my hand on her shoulder. I avoided eye contact and said in the least awkward voice I could imagine, “I know you don’t particularly want to be here with me and I do thank you for trying to act like you do, but it’s very clear you want to be with Cedric. I’m not very good with relationship stuff, but I can give you one piece of advice. Don’t let him just keep you on the side. You deserve more than that, Ginny. Now go over there and tell the boy how you feel.” I gave her a small nudge and she moved forward, walking across the dance floor and taking a seat next to Cedric.

I have no idea what happened with Ginny after I left her and I don’t care much to find out. I moseyed around for a bit, popping in and out of different conversations, until I saw Luna flailing about on the dance floor. I will admit she looked a bit strange, but she was beautiful, nonetheless. I walked over to her, gave her my awkward smile and threw my arms up, dancing with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am super excited to get this posted again(:
Things have been rewritten and I hope you all like the changes!