Status: Completely Rewritten!

At the Ball

Ginny Weasley

I made a failed attempt at stifling my laughter, as Cedric pressed his fingers into my rib cage. He planted a few soft kisses as on my forehead as he continued my torture. When the tickling became too much to bear, I begged him to stop and he plopped himself next to me, running his fingers through my hair.

“I’ve got a good one,” Cedric laughed.

“Go ahead.”

“What’s the difference between a terrorist and a ginger?”

“I don’t know, Cedric. What’s the difference?” I answered, clearly not amused.

“You can negotiate with a terrorist!”

I gave him a light punch, “Those are not funny!”

He laughed and kissed me lightly. We lay on my bed for a few moments, with his arms wrapped around me.

I realized that we had lost track of time and quickly got up from my bed, straightening my dress. Cedric stood beside me and pressed his lips gently against mine.

“I love you, Ginny,” he whispered into my ear.

“You know I wish you wouldn’t say that.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s not true. If it were true, you wouldn’t still be with Cho, and you wouldn’t be embarrassed to be seen with me in public.”

“Ginny, it’s not that at all. I just haven’t figured out how to break things off with Cho yet, and I would gladly flaunt you around if we were together.”

“But we’re not together. Every day you promise me that we will be and I have yet to see that happen. I’m starting to believe it will never happen. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to meet my date.”

I hurried down the stairs to meet Neville, but no one was there. It was much later than I originally thought, so I left for the ball by myself, hoping to meet Neville there.

When I entered the ball, I saw Neville standing in a corner talking to Seamus and Dean. I walked over to him and apologized for being late, saying I had spilled something on my dress. Across the dance floor, I saw Cedric and Cho dancing together. Jealousy hit me immediately. I stared at Cedric, and from the look he gave me back, I knew my feelings were written all over my face. My eyes begged him to meet me outside and he nodded. I excused myself and quickly left the ballroom. I walked over to the spiral staircase in the corner and sat down, waiting for Cedric to meet me.

Cedric came out a few minutes later and sat next to me on the stairs. He gave me a sympathetic smile, and I gave him one back.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“I know.”

“I’ve got another good one.”

“Go for it.”

“What’s the difference between a ginger and a Styrofoam cup?”

“No clue.”

“Burning styrofoam is bad for the earth.”

I smiled up at him and he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me closer to him, “It’ll be over soon. I promise.”

I wanted to believe him more than anything, but every time I saw him and Cho together I believed Cedric less. He acted no differently with Cho than he did with me, and there was always the possibility that if he did this to Cho he’d be willing to do it with me, too.

I gave Cedric a light kiss on his cheek and went back into the ball. I walked back over to Neville and apologized for leaving him again. I tried to talk to him, but my attention wasn’t on Neville long before it was brought to the shouting in the middle of the room.

Cho was yelling at Cedric, something I couldn’t make out, and she began crying. I hoped that Cedric had finally told her about me, but at the same time I hoped that he didn’t. I wanted to be with Cedric, but I didn’t want anyone to be mad at me for causing there break up. I liked Cho and under different circumstances I would consider being her friend.

I looked up at Neville for an answer, but it was clear he didn’t have one. Cho ran out of the room, tears rolling down her face, and Cedric took a seat at a nearby table, resting his head in his hands.

For some reason, I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even stop staring at the place they had been fighting. The one thing that stood in the way of making me the happiest person in the world just came crumbling down and I was unsure how to feel about it. I wasn’t sure if I was ready to be Cedric’s girlfriend. I wasn’t even sure if he wanted me to be.

Neville placed his arm gently on my shoulder and said, just loud enough so I could hear, “I know you don’t particularly want to be here with me and I do thank you for trying to act like you do, but it’s very clear you want to be with Cedric. I’m not very good with relationship stuff, but I can give you one piece of advice. Don’t let him just keep you on the side. You deserve more than that, Ginny. Now go over there and tell the boy how you feel.” He gave me a small nudge and that was all it took to give me the confidence to talk to Cedric in public for the first time since I’d fallen in love with him.

I pushed through the crowded dance floor and took a seat next to Cedric. He looked up at me and gave me a soft smile before placing his head back in his hands.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

We sat for a few moments in awkward silence. I began wondering if this was going to be the end of Cedric and me. I knew he would be a little upset when he and Cho finally broke up, but I didn’t think he’d be upset to the point where he’d just ignore me completely. I did the only thing I could think of to do.

“I’ve got a good one.”

“Go ahead,” Cedric said, straightening himself in his chair.

“What do you call a ginger whose phone rings on a Saturday night?”

“Shocked,” he answered, smiling.

“That’s not fair! You already know all of them.”

He got up from his chair and grabbed my hand, “Would you like to dance?”

“I’d love to.” I stood up from my chair and followed Cedric onto the dance floor. He placed his hands around my waist and I wrapped mine around his neck.

“This feels right,” Cedric said, kissing my forehead.

“I told you it would.”

Cedric glared at me, “I’m so sorry Ginny. I never should have put you through all that. I should’ve been with you right from the start.”

“I know, Cedric. It’s alright. I forgive you and I’m sure you’ll make up for it.”

“I promise I will.”

“What do you think everyone will say about us?”

“Well they’ll probably hate me and I’m sure they’ll call you a ginger whore. Nothing out of the ordinary,” he winked.

“You are just ever so charming.”

“I love you, Ginny.”

“I love you, Cedric”

Cedric pulled me closer to him and whispered in my ear, “Just wait a little while for everything to die down and I promise I’ll make you my girlfriend.”

"I'm counting on it," I replied, resting my head on his chest.