Status: I'll update once a week:) Enjoy!

To Live Another Day

Just the Two of Us Now

SMACK. All my books scattered around on the dirty school floor. “You’re such a nerd” “Get a life ” “You don’t have to say anything. Your face offends me by just being in the area” I stared at my dark blue converse with my head down as one by one all the girls walked past me, done with their attack. As soon as I was sure they weren’t going to come back for round two I picked up my books that they smacked out of my hands. I weaved my way through the crowd of high schoolers, getting bumped in the shoulder every now and then. I finally arrived to history and sat down in a seat in the back. It was no use though. The teachers would always call on me because I was the only one who really knew the answer so when no one raises their hands the teachers put me as the center of attention. I hated it. It was all the more reason for everyone to bully me.

It didn’t always use to be like this. I use to have friends and now I don’t. I guess I kinda did this to myself though. My mother, Abbey tells me and my twin brother, Connor, that we are the only good things in her life. It’s funny because I never saw it that way. She had a Harvard Scholarship and was going to be a doctor, but she had to stop school when she had us. But after both our grandparents died of natural causes my mother had no one to support her. So she put off school and got a endless series of part time jobs. So my mother trys to make me into the girl that she could have been, if she hadn’t had me. I see me and my brother as mistakes. My mother never planned on having us, she never even had the idea of having children in the first place. It was all because of HIM. That guy that jumped my mother while she was walked back home late at night. The guy who ruined my mother’s life. She could have been a successful person if not for that sorry excuse of a man. Nobody ever caught him. He ran away after he was done with her and she never saw his face since it was to dark out.

So that’s how I see things. My brother on the other hand is a completely different story. He isn’t that sharpest tool in the shed but getting good grades didn’t seem to matter when you were the captain of the football team and could get away with anything by flashing a dazzling smile at the teachers. We were close and my brother is very protective of me. Only when were not in school. He doesn’t want to be seen with the geeky girl who gets teased every day. He never said it but who would blame him? He just ignores me and doesn’t glance my way if we happen to cross paths. He was strong and fast and had a group of girls swarming around him at all times as if he were a ticket to getting into the ‘In’ crowd.
***********************************************
My brother and I were walking home in comfortable silence. The sun was beating on me. I really wish I’d brought my sun glasses.
“So, I heard that you have a game on Saturday” I say, trying to make conversation
He nodded, seeming lost in la la land. “Hey do you think-“ He was cut off by a scream followed by what sounded like a dozen more.
We looked at each other for a second before we both dashed toward where we heard it, Connor being way ahead of me already. The screams continued.
It was coming from our trailer park where we lived. As we got closer we saw just about everyone who lived there, running away from the park, all wide eyed and screamed in terror.
I didn’t have time to get out of the way before I was trampled bumping into everyone and spinning around until I hit my butt on the hard sidewalk. What the heck? Why’s everyone running, what’s happening?!?! I quickly got up when I saw a old neighbor of mine jogging to keep up with the rest. I grabbed hold of her shoulders and looked her in the eye. “What’s going on? Why is everyone running away?” She was shaking and looked like she was about to burst into tears.
“You have to run, come with me it’s not safe her anymore dear.” She tried pulling me with her but I broke away from her hold and ran down a once familiar street, now trashed and abandoned.
I have no idea what’s going on but the old women said it wasn’t safe. I have to get to my mom. I need to know if she’s ok.

I opened the screen door that was practically off it’s hinges and was about to turn the corner into the hallway when I heard noises. It sounded like a mix between a tiger growling and someone moaning in pain. I peered my head over and looked into the hallway afraid of what I might see. My mom. Her blonde hair was dirty and her clothing looked like it hadn’t been washed in weeks. Her neck was partly gone. She was covered in blood and eating what looked like raw meat from the fridge. “Mom” I whispered, tears welling in my eyes.
I felt a hand on my back and jumped and was about to scream when a hand covered my mouth. I turned around to meet the blue eyes of my brother.
“We need to go now!” He whispered. My eyes widened. Was he seriously even consider leaving our mother. After everything she sacrificed for us. What was he thinking. I shook my head violently.
“We can’t leave mom!” With that I turned around but Connor had his hand around my mouth again and was hauling me over his shoulder. “That’s not mom anymore” he whimpered, sounding like he was about to cry. I’ve never heard him cry before. I started struggling against him. Finally I caught a glimpse of my mothers face. Gray. Life less red blood shot eyes. Her mouth was crusted with blood.
“Mom? Mom...-“ I keep whispering over again. This isn’t happening. My mother might just be sick and she need our help. I kicked and punched Connor with all my might, quietly sobbing. He needs to let me go so I can help her. She needs my help.
Connor only held me tighter and as he was walking through the door way, I couldn’t take it anymore. I broke down sobbing loudly and screaming.
“Mom!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked it. I'm trying to update more frequently. Comment if you want and tell me what you think.