Status: Work in Progress

Straight Through My Heart

015

I knew Gerard was trying to give me a shoulder to lean on and a hand to hold on to, but something about dealing with this disappointment alone just seemed better. I basically just screwed up the one true friendship I've had in a long time because of my stupid refusal to acknowledge that I wasn't alone.

I've had to fight a lot of my battles alone due to the negligence of my parents, so believing there was someone out there who really cared about my well-being and wanted to prove to me that it could get better was too knew for me to accept.

I almost pissed myself when Mikey sat down beside me and rested his head on my shoulder. "Your brother walked off," I said, sounding about as numb as I felt. "No idea where he went."

"Diner," Mikey replied, causing me to glance down at him and sigh. "Said to tell you not to come by. Some of the basketball team is there and trying to get a rise out of him."

"Son of a bitch," I said, standing up so quickly I had to stop Mikey from bashing his head on a nearby street lamp pole. "We got to get there. If they get hold of him, there's no telling what they're going to do."

"But Gerard said --"

"Fuck what he said! I know what they're capable of, and not even he is able to fend them off. I barely escaped when they decided to use me as a scapegoat for their anger." Grabbing Mikey's wrist, I pulled him down the road, telling him to not text Gerard.

Time Elapse -- Gerard's Point of View

Still continuing to try and get a rise out of me, the guys started saying shit about how my mom is fat and how anyone could have laid her to give birth to such a freak. Biting the inside of my cheek, I tried my hardest to refuse any acknowledgement. The door of the diner came open and out came the owner of the restaurant.

"Frank, you're an hour late!" he said, giving Frank a hard look. Frank apologized profusely, stating something had come up at home and he tried to take care of it as quickly as possible. Throwing on an apron, he quickly started clearing tables and wiping them down, barely giving me a second thought.

One of the players must have caught me glancing at him because he then started bashing on Frank. Mikey rested a hand on my shoulder, but that didn't stop me from spinning around and throwing the hardest punch I could muster at the closest person.

"And there's the rise," one of them said, a smirk appearing on his face. Feeling my blood boil, I removed any personal items from my pockets and handed them to Mikey.

"Watch my back, Mikes," I said, causing him to pocket my things.

"Whoa whoa!" The owner said, coming back in from the kitchen. "No fighting in my diner!" I looked at him and he seemed to shrink back a bit. For being at least 6 foot 2 inches, I don't think he could have dealt with how furious I was.

When the diner door opened again, I glanced and saw Jimmy and his gang walk through. "Well, well, well, if it isn't the Way brothers," he said, patting me on the shoulder before high-fiving Mikey. I quickly cooled down and looked at him.

"What the fuck is up with you, Jimmy? You hate us," I said, looking at him increduously.

"I never hated you two, just had to keep up the dramatics, y'know how it works," he said, giving me a grin before placing the order for him and the three boys with him. I quickly stole a glance at the basketball players and nearly gagged on my own spit in laughter when they shrunk out of the diner and made their way to the arcade.

Looking at Mikey, I raised an eyebrow, mouthing, "Whatt the hell?" Mikey only shrugged before handing me my things. "So what's with you four being here?" I asked Jimmy, causing him to take the seat next to me and lean on his elbows.

"I could ask you two the same thing," he replied, glancing at me and Mikey. Before I could say anything he looked over at Frank who had, at some point, gone to the back and was now coming back out with cleaned menus. "And now I know." His eyes met mine, and I didn't see hatred, or resentment, or even sadness. I just saw kindness and happiness.

Grabbing a pencil from my pocket, Jimmy started writing on a napkin. A few moments later he pushed both towards me and smiled again. Grabbing his order, he and his gang walked out. Looking at the napkin, I read what he put on it.

"Meet me here next week. Same day, same time. Come alone. - J

Folding the napkin up, I stuck it in my pocket along with the pencil and ordered some food for me and Mikey as well as another cup of coffee. Glancing at Frank through the corner of my eye, I saw a sad smile appear on his face.