Status: Oh so sinful

Blurring the Lines

Greed & Charity

“So what are you going to do? “ Gray said into the phone, twirling the coiled line in her fingers. She had a cellphone but she enjoyed using the landline a lot more. It felt as if it had been a lifetime since she and Casely had spoken but really it had only been a few days. They talked for hours before Casely really told her what was going on.

“For Christ sakes. There is nothing that important that you guys could still be talking about.” Instantly Gray shot Renner a look telling him that he needed to back off. He held his hands in defense. “I’m sorry that I want to spend time with my other half before she runs off with some Virtue.” He said it just loud enough so Casely could hear his words.

“Wait, what?” Casely asked Gray. She sighed knowing that there was no way she would be able to lie to her best friend.

“Yesterday I met a Virtue, Niall is his name.” she stopped and took a breath letting her own brain comprehend what she was saying. “He was nice to me. Like not in the “I have to be” way. He wanted to help me.” She had no idea why she had to explain herself to Casely but she didn’t completely mind knowing that they were in a sense spending time together. She could practically imagine the look on her face at that very moment. Being that Casely still live in the virtuous city Gray didn’t have the chance to hang out with her as much.

“So we both have dates with Virtues… Who would have known?” The lazy tone suggested it was a joke but Gray knew this was a complete shock to both of them. Neither of them ever expected to have anything to do with a Virtue. Gray sucked in a deep breath looking at the clock.

“Shit Case.” She scrambled off her bed, began to pull her shoes on and picked up a hoodie. “I hate to cut this topic short but I have to go. I’m supposed to meet him in 10 minutes. I’ll call you later to tonight to fill you in. Good luck with Liam by the way.” And with that she hung up the phone and bounded for the door. She was quickly intercepted by Renner, who still wasn’t happy about this whole Virtue thing.

“And where are you going again?” he had been pestering her all morning on the subject. Where are you going? What are you doing? Do I need to go with you? Will you be ok? All redundant questions that made her feel like a child. “Renner, for the last time I’m going to the rose garden. I’ll be fine. Actually I’ll be home before you know it.”

Gray shivered once the cold air hit her face. Although it was warming up, the chilled wind always made her shiver. She practically ran the whole way there, or at least until she crashed into some Virtue police. She gazed up at the man that she had nearly run over. She picked herself up off the floor and went to apologize to the man. Before a word could get out her cheek was met with his hand. She held her tongue praying for no further punishment.
“Watch where you’re going you worthless piece of dirt.” It took ever ounce of Gray’s concentration to not cry from the stinging in her cheek. She knew it would bruise and Renner would reprimand her for going out at these times. Quickly she ran away from the group, making sure she wasn’t being followed. When she got to the rose garden she didn’t stop until she was in the center of the maze.

She collapsed on the ground, unable to feel her legs. It was warm in the center of the maze. Large hedges blocked all of the wind off. Slowly she turned on her back, caressing her cheek. It was sore to the touch but luckily it would be gone in a couple days. Shutting her eyes she soaked in the calming area, listening to the birds chirping and feeling the warm sun on her face.

Her relaxing was cut short by the sound of footsteps approaching. She sat up quickly, eyes met by the brilliant blue ones of Niall. He smiled at first, but it quickly faded as he saw the red mark on her cheek. Gray had completely forgotten about the incident which had just happened, but that’s what this place was for. It was a sanctuary that only she knew about. Renner had been the only other person that she had told to meet her there.

Niall sat down in the grass beside her, and gently turned her head by her chin. Butterflies filled her stomach as electricity sent sparks from his hand to her skin. She had never felt something like this and it scared her a little.

“Who did this to you?” he voice was so calming and melodic; she just wanted him to talk to her forever. She shrugged her should at his question thinking of a lie to tell him.

“It was an accident. I slipped on the way out of my house and smacked it on the doorframe. No big deal. “ It was obvious that he didn’t believe a damn word she was saying but he kept quiet. The silence continued for a while, as if they were having an unspoken conversation.

Finally Gray broke it. “Why do you want to help me?” she could hear the hurt in her own voice but never the less she was intent on getting an answer. “You’re supposed to hate me. I’m a Sin…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of short but I left you on a Cliff Hanger!! Muahhahah.

Up next is Meghan #2!