Status: Active!

If You Ever Come Back

Claudia's Pizza part 2

Flashback – Alison – Age 21
 
Veronique was yelling. Again. I sat back against the wall, pretending to be totally engrossed in whatever magazine I had randomly picked up off the table. I don’t want to be part of Vero’s mess at the moment.
 
As soon as the employee of the little boutique left Veronique alone she sat down next to me. “Ma cherie, you’re going with me tonight. I don’t care if you don’t want to. You’ll have fun, I promise. I don’t want you to miss out Ali.”
 
I looked into her dark eyes and placed the magazine down on my lap. “And I don’t want to be your little shadow all night long.”
 
She pushed some strands of my blonde hair back, “You’re coming Alison. And I know I’m an,” She thought for a second, trying to find the proper word. “You could say I’m an aggressive shopper. But you’ll have fun at the party with me.”
 
I know Vero is going to make me go, and I won’t be able to get out of it. It’s just another Pittsburgh Penguins party thing. Apparently it’s a whole family thing. Families and friends of all the players are going. Sure Marc and I are friends, but does that mean that I have to go to this party that’s going to start off innocent and end naughty? Vero said that all the kids go and they’re all gone by 10:15 and that’s when all the adults get all boozed up and everyone regrets everything the next morning. What’s so fun about that?
 
I groaned, “Fine.”
 
“It wasn’t your decision in the first place ma Cherie.”
 
“I’m well aware of that V.”
 
She giggled and handed me a bright orange dress that looked about 10 sizes too small. I said uncertainly, “Vero that’s not going to cover anything. What size is that?”
 
She huffed, “I remember when I was the responsible and you were the slutty one! What happened Ali?”
 
Yeah, I’d had QUITE a slut phase. It had been pretty bad, and now Vero’s going through it. It happens to all of us at one point or another.
 
*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *
 
Veronique grabbed my wrist as we walked into the restaurant that doubles as a bar. According to Vero, this whole party is in the restaurant until the last kid leaves, then it moves up to the bar.
 
I sighed as she dragged me in and we signed our names on some required sign in list. “They can’t have over 400 people. So basically it’d first come first serve. For seating and the hot guys. The first girls here get to fuck the hottest guy. That’s just how it works.”
 
I nodded as if I could possibly enjoy that thought. A few years back it wouldn’t have bothered me in the slightest. Why is it such a big deal to me now?
 
I trailed my best friend for the first hour. She introduced me to everyone.
 
We came up to a guy I didn’t recognize and she said, “Okay Ali, this is James Neal. James, this is Alison.” I shook hands with him and looked him in the eye. His eyes were a greenish blue color and his smile was contagious.
 
Veronique looked away suddenly, “Ooo James can you watch her for a second?”
 
“I don’t need watching!” I protested, but James responded, “Of course Vero.”
 
I rolled my eyes at him as she walked away in the direction of a tall dude with silky black hair. “Thinks she’ll wait until the last kids leave?”
 
James laughed and said, “No way. Did you hear about what she did last year? She and Marc almost broke up because she almost cheated on him!” His eyes grew wide.
 
I smiled at him. He’s kind of cute, a little taller than me and his eyes remind me of a very clean ocean or something like that.
 
I asked him, “I don’t mean to be rude, but how long have you been here? Honestly I don’t remember ever seeing you before.”
 
He said, “Oh it’s not rude! I started here this season. Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby filled me in on what happens at these galas.”
 
I laughed and replied, “It’s my first time at one of these. Veronique told me about what goes on here.”
 
James smiled at me and we continued to talk, sitting down at a small circle table. We talked a lot about him and Dallas and when he was a little kid. He’s a really great story teller; he makes you want to listen to him. He just gets so into it, and his facial expressions are priceless.
 
By the end of the night I knew a lot about him. He was one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met. He has information about anything and everything. He’s adorable especially when his eyes grow wide and he says something he finds particularly shocking or just amazing. He is so jovial that his positive attitude is rubbing off on me, and I want to be here.
 
I looked at him sadly when Sidney called, “Hey you two, we have to get out of here soon or else I have to pay for another night of renting this place out!”
 
“Oh please Sid, you wouldn’t miss it!” I shot back and his smile was visible.
 
James smiled as we got up. “Alison, it was really nice to meet you. I havd so much fun tonight, would you like to do this again with me some time soon?”
 
I beamed and said louder than I anticipated, “Yes!”
 
He gave me a hug and grabbed my coat from the back of the chair and held it open for me as I slipped into it. I couldn’t help but grin as he pulled my blonde hair back and said in surprise, “Whoa, your hair is so soft! I didn’t think hair could be that soft!”
 
We heard Sidney laugh from somewhere in the vacant restaurant. “Nealer, I could have sworn you were the hair expert!”
 
His cheeks flamed red and he looked down. I ran my hand through is hair. “Hey James, your hair is pretty soft too!”
 
He smiled broadly and said, “Yours is softer.”
 
I couldn’t stop grinning as he took my hand in his.

*Present Day*

it clicked in my mind who was standing in front of me. The soda in her hand didn't go unnoticed, especially since she opened it before she said anything.

I choked out, "Alexa?"

She nodded and tried to wrap her arms around me in a hug but I dodged her. "Oh my God Alison! You have no idea-"

I wanted to sound fearless when I said, "Don't talk to me!" but it came out barely audible.

Someone growled, "Don't touch her Lex."

I looked behind me to see Patrick and James watching from afar. I silently begged him to come over, I don't want a whole Buffalo reunion right now. There are two NHL players in here, shouldn't some one notice?

Alexa said, "But you always said-"

"I. Said. Nothing." Patrick growled.

Alexa hung her head, "Yeah, I knew it. Alison is number one."

I looked between the two in confusion. Alexa continued, "I'm always second place. The moment Alison is back I'm suddenly some sort of criminal. I knew this would happen!"

Patrick softened and said to her, "Listen Lex, I haven't seen her in over twelve years." He kissed my cheek and I pushed him away.

"You can't do that!" I protested and that made James come over.

Alexa looked at me desperately, "Alison, Alison please! I just want to talk. About Vancouver and your life there. And I have a few things to say."

I looked into her crystal blue eyes that appeared to be made up of little, sharp shards of cold ice. James said, "I'm afraid we haven't formally met, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave Alison alone". He said it so politely and so coolly that I had to admire his
confidence .

Alexa said sadly, "Whenever you're ready Alison. Whenever you're ready."

I finally gained the bravery and confidence to say something, I did. "Listen Alexa, I can't just talk to you. Because you made Buffalo hell on Earth for me for the fkrst twelve years of my life. So no, we can never 'just talk' so to speak. I'll never be just 'ready' to have a calm and rational conversation with you! I just can't do that Alexa! I just can't!"

James put him arm in the small of my back and I leaned on him a little bit. "I think the four of us can agree that it's time to leave, what do you say?"

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ****** ***** ****** ****
Once James and I got to the hotel, I yawned and James pushed some of my hair back. "Ready to go to bed beautiful?"

He sat down on the couch next to me and I snuggled close to him. "I don't know James. I can't stop thinking about Alexa McGovern. Was I rude?"

He just gave me a little grin and kissed my nose, "Not in the least bit. Especially after all of that shit that she did to you."

I nodded and James continued, "But I think it would be beneficial for the both of us if we both went to sleep now. In bed and not on this sort of uncomfortable couch."

James took my hand and we stood up together. He led us to the bed. James laid us down on the convers, himself on top as he kissed me.

I kissed him back, letting my body go limp. If he wants sex, he'll get it. If he just wants a few kisses, that is what he will recieve.

He picked me up bridal style and carried me to the top of the bed, pulling the covers over my body. He slid in next to me. "I'm so glad I'm going to marry you." He mumbled into my ear.

I turned around so I was facing him. I whispered, "Do you have any idea how ecstatic I am to spend the rest of my life with you?"

James replied, "I bet that I do."

When he closed his eyes, I ran my hands through his lovely hair. The corners of his lips pulled up into a small smirk. I pulled him close to me and ran my finger tips over his face and he moaned quietly. I kissed his forehead and he reached out to pull me as close to his body as I could get. He didn't open his eyes when I turned around so we were spooning.

"I love you," I said breathily.

He mumbled back, "I love you too Ali. I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!
thanks for reading!