Status: Finished

I Hope You Like the Stars I Stole for You

Chapter Nine-Little Blue Boy

Vic’s POV

I fidgeted in the car, why hadn’t my parents told me I had a dentist appointment sooner ? I could have at least warned Pruitt. I felt horrible, she was obviously having a bad day, and here I was, her best friend, skipping out on her. I sighed, hitting my head on the car window.

“What are we…” I started. We had pulled into my own driveway. “Mom ?” She turned to me with fear in her eyes. “Honey, we have to talk about some things…Come inside.” Now I was starting to freak out, had someone died ? Was dad okay ? I realized that Mike would be here too if someone had died, so at least I could rule that out. But now I was more confused than ever…

It all made sense when I entered the living room.

My mom had my journal on her lap.

Every thought I’ve ever had, since I was fifteen is in that thing. Two years worth of my depressing thoughts…any parent would be worried. Tears were streaming down her face now, and a man I’d never seen before entered the room. I backed away, a little scared. “Sit, please Victor.” She barely ever called me Victor, so I knew this was serious. “Honey…we need to talk about the things in this diary.” “It’s a journal mom, not a diary” I cut her off. “Okay, the things in this journal. They are very….dark. Vic, you’re depressed. I’m scared you’re going to hurt yourself, or worse…I love you sweetie, I care about you. I’m sorry your father and I haven’t always shown it the best way…We were just trying to give you some space, since you’re getting older and everything. I’m sorry.” The last part was a whisper, and it was evident she was holding back sobs. “This man is a adolescent psychologist, and he’s going to take you to a facility with him.” “How long ?” I demanded to know, my voice rising. “However long it takes…” “For what ?” My mom and the man stayed silent. “I’m Dr. Garland,” The man offered. I simply nodded. I didn’t say anything more, because the things I wanted to say were going to hurt my mother, and it was clear I had already put her through enough. “I packed a bag for you, Victor. It’s in your room.” I went to grab it, then hugged my mom tightly. This was all so surreal. “Let me just grab my phone from the car…” I said, desperate to text Pruitt. Maybe she could help bust me out. Dr. Garland placed his hand firmly on my shoulder “That won’t be necessary, we have phones there.”

I followed him out to the car, vowing not to say anything to this dumb bastard who looked down on me just because I had depression. I really didn’t feel like dealing with his shit while my mom was sending me to the crazy house.

An hour later, we pulled up to my worst nightmare-a low brick building with ‘serene’ fountains and green shrubbery everywhere. I followed him inside while he got me all checked in, and I was introduced to a room that was smaller than a prison cell. It had one small window in the center of one wall, with actual bars over it. It was entirely white, with a bed, a nightstand, and a lamp- all bolted to the floor. There was an adjoining bathroom without a mirror, only a toilet and a shower. Dr. Garland left me alone in there while he went to find me a schedule, and it was all I could do not to scream. I have to admit, I was so scared. My mom thought I was crazy, she thought I was insane enough to go away to a ‘special place.’ No offense Mom, but this is not the way to show you care.
My mind wandered to Pruitt, she was going to be so mad at me when I didn’t show up to class or to walk her home. I was letting everyone down, and I couldn’t do anything to stop it.

I ended up staying at this horrible place for the rest of the week, and I can honestly say I hated every minute of it. Every moment of my day was planned out-

Wake up at eight AM.

Shower

Eat breakfast in the main hall

Group therapy

Scheduled activity (ie sports or something)

Specialized therapy (just me)

Group interactive time

Lunch

Solitude

Dinner

Scheduled movie with group

Bed at 10PM

It was undoubtedly the worst time of my life, and I barely said three sentences the entire time. I wasn’t there to make friends, hell, I didn’t even know why I was there, because it wasn’t helping at all. It was only making me more pissed off and more depressed, more angry with myself. I didn’t contact anyone, because the only person I wanted to talk to or be with was Pruitt, and that wasn’t happening.

Dr. Garland ended up taking me home on Saturday morning, and I was not looking forward to a long car ride with him. What had given him the right to take me away from my family and my home to bring me here ? This only further proved how little my family understood me.

When I finally got home, it was about noon. I jumped out of the car and ran into the house. My mom stopped me “Victor ! How was it ? Did you have a good time ?” I hugged her quickly “Um, yeah. It was uh, cool. But mom, can I go see my friend ?” She looked at me in surprise. “Friend ?” She looked pleased and consented. I threw my stuff in my room and hastily ran out the door.