Zombie preparation and Defense

Epilouge

What happens next depends on a lot of variables. Are there any other survivors? I can imagine a naval fleet having no problems defending itself from zombies. Nuclear powered submarines should be especially safe, they can run for decades. Maybe enough people survived somewhere to come rescue you. If everyone else is zombified, well then that would suck.

How long will zombies "live"? This has never been addressed to my knowledge. Even though they're dead, they still maintain some kind of metabolism and thought process. You'd think that eventually they'll cease activity and it will be safe enough to venture out. Then again, they might be immortal, in which case you are screwed. It's kind of hard to kill 6 billion zombies with just a few 22s and a shotgun.
Here is about another 20 or so rules that maybe many people have heard, but That I think are some of the most important rules to follow.
You are not safe. EVER.

Cardio- be able to run for an extended period of time

Always carry a minimum of 2 reliable, lethal weapons (I cannot Stress "ALWAYS" enough)

Better safe than stupid (example-Use your head; Cut off theirs!)

Know where you will be sleeping before the sun sets. Be prepared to move out before daybreak

Travel light- no dead weight (this goes for both objects you carry and people you're with. If someone can't pull their own, ditch them)

Save one bullet (Do I need to elaborate?)

Dress smart (Tight-fitting, comfortable clothing, with large, accessible pockets, and preferably Velcro sneakers)

Don't be a hero(Only pull the trigger if you're ok with every zombie within hearing-distance knowing exactly where dinner is.)

Stay nourished and healthy (if you're living off canned food, make sure to take multi-vitamins! and remember, if you get sick, there's no hospital to treat you)
If you can avoid it then do.

Never, ever, ever, under any circumstance shall you EVER go anywhere alone (yes, this includes the bathroom) (void if everyone you've ever known/loved is a zombie)

Enjoy the little things

Leave no doubt-know your way out

Know you're environment; use it to your advantage

Tread carefully (watch where you’re going and NEVER walk backwards)

Never give up

Think outside the box. Example; fleeing survivors have raided the drug stores, hospitals, and doctor's offices and left you behind with no medicine. Solution, go to the pet store. A big chain pet store has everything from vitamins to sedatives (be VERY careful converting dosages).

Calculus (Example- it takes you .75 seconds to hit a zombie in the head with a baseball bat and then prepare to strike again. If a zombie is within 3 feet of you, you can't wind up for a successful kiss-swing. It takes a zombie 3 seconds to walk 2 feet. The situation: you have 5 zombies walking towards you. Before you even prepare your first strike, look at the distance between each of them and determine if it will be possible for one of them to get within 3 feet of you while you dispatch the others. Plan out your kill order and know when you're going to need to back up (but remember rule 17!))

Drive safe! (And by that of course I mean drive in a hummer or a large SUV with bars welded to all the windows, and if possible an escape hatch in the roof)

Natural gas is your friend. Long after all the power gets cut the gas will still be flowing. It is fire, light, heat, and a weapon. If you have time to apply a pipe wrench to the union in the pipes then you don't need to save that last bullet.

1 shot, 1 kill (slow is smooth, smooth is fast)

Stay with Your Group (If you’re lucky you’ll happen upon a group of US Army Rangers when the brains hit the fan. They’re tough, well-coordinated, and won’t freeze in terror at the sight of blood and guts. They’ll teach you zombie slayage and which bugs and plants are safe to eat. Chances are higher that you’ll end up with a group of random people with varying skills and that you will really hate a few of them. Doesn’t matter. Stay with your group. Never wander off alone to contemplate the corruption of your companions, because that is precisely the moment when the hordes will descend upon you and eat your highly morale filled brain. There really is safety in numbers so stay with your group).

The Missing are Doomed (Back before the zombies, if someone you knew went missing, then you looked for them. There were probably many uniformed people from several government agencies that helped you in your search. Random citizens were likely to join you in the effort especially if the missing person was a child. Not so post-zombie. If someone in your party goes missing, observe a moment of silence, shed a tear or two and move on. It’s not cruel, it’s survival. Likely the missing person broke Rule #24 so there’s no excuse risking your lives searching for an idiot who wanders off and has probably already become a zombie snack).

Don’t Go Out at Night (This seems obvious, but the folks on The Walking Dead break this rule all the time. Usually they’re searching for a missing member of their party, which, as we established in Rule #25, is a bad move. At night you can’t see your companions and may accidentally shoot one. You also can’t see the zombies. Yes, yes, I know you can walk very quietly with all your senses on high alert, but if he’s leaning his half-dead self against a tree and doesn’t animate until you pass by then you’re a goner. And you should be. What the heck are you doing wandering around in a dark, zombie infested forest?)

Always Carry a Weapon (Every minute of every day you should be equipped to kill a zombie. It doesn’t have to be a gun or a flamethrower or a chainsaw or anything big, but it has to be capable of taking out a zombie at a moment’s notice. A simple knife or a screwdriver works well. A gun that you have taken apart to clean and don’t know how to put back together yet does not count, as Andrea discovered the hard way. A weapon of zombie destruction. Don’t leave home without it.

When the Zombie apocalypse comes, I am personally going to board myself up in Costco with 10 of my closest friends...... my weapons will include the following, An AR-15, a .357 magnum, a crossbow for stealth missions, a machete and a katana. When choosing your base of operations with your team don't forget to discuss the possibility of abandoning your base every once in a while to avoid being discovered by zombies, that's really all I can give you for now....... so unless I see you in the zombie apocalypse then good luck and good hunting.