Status: Updated almost daily depending on responses

Game

Game; 20

Tobe's POV

The weekend was ending and I realized I'd have to return home to my mum and Courtney. It was as if reality was lurking over our heads and it wasn't the good kind.

'You alright?' Eli asked from the bathroom doorway.

He was clad in jeans only and his hair was damp. I'd become increasingly accustomed to Eli's frequent shirtless appearances this weekend and I can't say I've complained.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, I shook my head sifting through my overnight bag.
It was more of a distraction. I knew I had everything packed and ready to go but somehow, the thought of leaving our little paradise bubble was heavy on my chest.

Since our fondling session, we'd decided to keep it strictly PG-13. I was becoming more ready as time wore on though even in the short time we'd gotten more physical.

'I can pick you up from work tomorrow, you know.' He said coming over and put a hand on my cheek. I leaned into his touch as if savouring it.

'I'll leave after dinner, that okay?'

Eli nodded and leaned down to kiss me on the lips. His hand fell from my cheek to my hip and then trailed back up again to brush against my side. I lost breath every time we kissed and I knew I'd never tire of it.

Just as his tongue was brushing my lips, there was noise downstairs. The sound of a door opening and closing. I froze and so did Eli. Pulling away, Eli cocked his head listening for any more sound as I stood silently, my breath a little rapid due to the kiss was the only thing I could hear.

Then the sound of cup being placed on the counter sounded and Eli was off, taking the stairs two at a time as he quickly descended, me close behind him confused.

I hadn't realized he'd stopped until I charged into the back of him but he barely even stumbled. We stood at the kitchen doorway and I peered around him to take a look at the woman who was happily sipping on some red wine in the kitchen.

'Ellison.' She greeted with a small smile before her eyes rested on me, she put her glass down, 'you have a guest?'

Eli didn't say anything and I pursed my lips. Feeling polite, I leaned around him to accept the outstretched hand she offered.

'I'm Tobe.'

'Vivienne.' She introduced herself. I knew her now as Eli's step-mum. I took some time to look at her properly. She had long dyed blonde hair and bright eyes. She looked young - really young. She couldn't be more than a few years older than Eli and me.

'Tobe, how about we go out to eat?' Eli asked and offered me a smile but I could see hopefulness in his eyes. He was too easy to read sometimes. I felt like considering he'd met my sister, he could repay me by allowing his step-mum and me to meet. We would get to the main parent authority figure in our lives later.

'Really?' Vivienne looked bashful, 'I could cook you two something. I'm sorry,' she turned her back to us, 'Eli hasn't mentioned you, Tobe.'

I didn't miss the roll of my boyfriends eyes as she said this, he probably thought I was hurt but I wasn't. I knew Eli hardly spent time with his dad and Vivienne, it didn't surprise me he hadn't told them about me.

'That's alright, but you don't mind if we eat here, do you?' I directed my question at Vivienne but Eli knew I was asking him too. I glanced at him and saw him shake his head a little before Vivienne turned around, clapping her hands together.

'I can cook something.' She repeated and started rummaging through the cupboards, 'pasta?'

Eli was about to interject but I interrupted, 'sounds perfect.'

He glared at me from the corner of my eye but I didn't spare him a look before I offered to help Vivienne who was reading the instructions on the back of a pasta sauce jar.

Through cooking, Eli didn't talk to us. He sulked in the living room, I understood why this might have put him in a tough position but I wanted to know more about him and I knew the best way to do that was meet his step-mum. Vivienne was actually nice. She was courteous and polite, totally innocent with the way she giggled at inappropriate jokes and her youthful age came through when she seemingly had no idea on what a stove was.

'You and Eli are dating?' She asked.

I nodded and smiled, 'a few months.' I realized this was a bit of stretch but figured nobody would mind.

'I can't believe he hadn't mentioned you before.' She stirred the pasta sauce while I cut salad. She frowned, 'I haven't been around a lot.'

I sensed that with the way Eli was constantly alone. Before I hadn't liked the thought of a gold digging step-mum leaving her step-child home alone 24/7. But I was beginning to sense she was mildly unhappy herself.

'Sterling is rarely home either, I worry about him sometimes.'

'Why don't you stay home with him?' I offered confidently. 'He'd probably appreciate it.'

'He's not home when I am. I think he feels weird around me. I wouldn't even know what to say even if we were in the same room together for more than ten minutes.'

Vivienne seemed torn between her heart and head. She knew she should make an effort with Eli, get along with him, be like a step-mother should be but at the same time she was too young to really know how and she seemed to know how to take a hint. I knew for a fact Eli probably didn't make it easy on her to get along with him.

'You girls almost done?' He asked from the doorway, he'd put on a shirt and shoved his hands in his jeans pockets.

He was glaring at me and I knew he was mad. I only smiled and said, 'almost.' I figured Vivienne had it under control now and wiping my hands on a rag, I moved away from the kitchen counter and towards Eli.

Taking his hand, I pulled him away from the door and towards the living room. 'Are you gonna glare holes in my head?'

Eli shrugged and made his way to the dining table off to the side of the room, he put out napkins and cutlery for three people.

'Don't ignore me,' wrapping my arms around him from behind, I rested my cheek on his muscular back and sighed.

He didn't tense and instead sighed himself in what sounded like defeat. He stopped setting out cutlery and turned to face me, he put my cheeks in his hands and leaned down.

'I didn't want you meeting her yet.'

'Where's the harm?' I asked innocently and moved away from him when Vivienne walked in with two plates.

When we were all sat down, me opposite Eli and Vivienne at the bottom of the table where I assumed her usual seat was during a family dinner, conversation began.

It began with Vivienne asking what I did, where I lived, siblings and eventually turned to me and Eli. How we met, if he's met my sister or mother. I answered her honestly leaving out Eli's little game before.

Before long we were finished and thankfully, Eli had participated in some of the conversation. He even laughed at something Vivienne said.

She excused herself from the table eventually taking her plate with her and leaving us alone. I leaned my foot up to rest on his thigh, 'wasn't so bad, was it?'

He didn't answer right away but he soon nodded, 'could've been worse, I'll admit.'

'Now I just gotta meet your dad.'

'No,' Eli answered firmly. My smile dropped and I swallowed uncomfortably. Eli sensed this and cleared his throat, 'he isn't as understanding as Vivienne.'

'Understanding about what?'

'I guarantee you, he will do or say something that will insult you. Whether indirectly or unintentionally.'

'I'm a big girl,' I argued stubbornly.

'Let me meet your mum then.'

I frowned. My mum wanted me to break up with him. He knew that, it was why he was using it against me. I didn't expect him to be okay with the fact my own mum wants me to break up with Eli but I didn't expect him to use it as an excuse of why I couldn't meet his dad.

'Let's take slow steps,' he said finally and stood up from the table, 'in the meantime, I'll see you out.'

I knew when I was no longer welcome and I sensed I'd upset Eli somehow by mentioning his dad. It wasn't my intention but I felt it be better I leave like he asked instead of trying to reason with him and risk getting him more frustrated.

At the door, he kissed me goodbye but it wasn't heated and I barely had time to kiss back before he pulled away.

'Quinton.' I simply said and I saw his eyes narrow and he threw a hand into his hair tugging on the soft brunette strands before sighing.

'I know.'

Shifting my weight I chewed my lip, 'shall I leave you alone?'

I was expecting him to say no but he didn't. He looked at me before tensing his jaw. 'I will call you when I get things sorted.'

I knew what that meant. It meant we were on a temporary break just until Eli sorted out this Quinton situation. I knew it was inevitably coming but I didn't think I'd have to lose my boyfriend over it, no matter how temporary it was.

Eli leaned down to give me a peck on the cheek but I moved away towards the door. He went to say something so I interjected. 'Don't. I understand. Just,' I felt my throat get heavy, 'call me when you've decided something.'

I had a feeling Eli felt he only had two choices. Break up with me and suffer the consequences of losing the bet or lie about it.
Either way he was hurting me and hurting himself. I was okay with him lying to get him out of trouble but the repurcussions were massive. Everyone in Devonton would know I was a whore and we would either have to act like we've broken up or actually break up. I would lose him either way.

This weekend had been too perfect for it to end in such a dreadful, upsetting way. I opened the door and walked out into the dawn, I didn't bother turn around knowing Eli wouldn't call my name. This was so damn hard. I hated the fact he'd made the stupid bet in the first place but I cared too much to hold it against him.

I hated the fact he had me in this kind of situation but he made me feel things that were peculiar - passionate and euphoric.

I just knew I needed him - I couldn't lose him, not over something like this. I wasn't aware of what Quinton might be capable of and had only had a small taste of it back in the shop with one his pitbull bodyguards but I didn't suspect he'd kill an eighteen year old boy over a bet.

I hoped I was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait, guys. I wanted this chapter to be longer but felt it was nice to end it there and I hope the spaces between the lines will make it easier to read especially on mobiles because I know how frustrating that can be when there's a huge chunk of writing. Anyway, keep comments coming, they give me motivation.