A Life Less Ordinary

Playing With Fire

“Why so tense, Schöne? Don’t you like to fly?” Victor shot her a smile. Isla had herself pressed against the wall of the chopper, trying to put as much distance between them as possible. “Where are you taking me?” she asked.

“I have orders to bring you back to base.” he replied.

“Why? I was on my way with Barsad.” Isla gasped as they hit a bout of turbulence.

“Barsad’s orders changed. Bane asked for you to be brought to home, that is what I am doing. You should relax, I’m a professional pilot.” he said.

Isla kept her eyes shut for the remainder of the flight. Only when they landed on the roof of the hotel did she allow herself to calm down. Victor walked around to her door and opened it, extending his hand for support. She hesitated momentarily, but accepted it. She stepped onto the slick helipad and allowed him to escort her onto the elevator.

“I don’t believe we have ever been properly introduced.” he said, shaking the snow from his cap.

Isla stood against the wall of the elevator opposite him, arms crossed.

“Victor Lindemann…” he extended his hand. She arched a brow, eyeing his hand.

“Do you treat everyone like a criminal, or is it just me?” he asked with a smile.

She sighed. “Isla Sloan.” He took her hand and planted a kiss on her knuckles. She snatched her hand back just as the doors opened and stormed out into the basement.

She looked for Bane as she passed groups of men.

“Have you seen Bane?” she asked three men who were taking quietly amongst themselves. They said nothing, only shook their heads.

“Where is he?” she asked, making her way to the back computer room. Two men sat in front of computers, it was apparent that he wasn’t there. She turned on her heel and hurriedly made her way to the elevator. Victor stood waiting for her.

“You said he wanted me brought to him so where is he?” she demanded.

“Nein fräulein. I said the orders were to bring you home. Bane is not here.” he replied. Isla suddenly felt panicked.

“What do you mean he isn’t here? Where is he?” she asked.

“Taking care of some business. He left me in charge, so if you need anything, please let me know.”

“He left you in charge?” Isla gave a short contemptuous laugh and made to push past him. He held out his arm, barring her from entering.

“Remember, If you need anything…” He lowered his face towards hers.

She narrowed her eyes. “If I need anything, I will get it myself.” she knocked his arm away and entered the elevator.

OoOoOoOo


Some hours later, Isla paced back and forth in her room, in the midst of a full on anxiety attack. How could he leave her alone? Where had he gone? Was he even coming back?

The last thought caused her heart to feel as though it would stop. What if he didn’t come back? What would happen to her then? She ran her hands through her hair like a mad woman. She knew exactly what would happen to her if he didn’t return.

The knock at the door stopped her dead in her tracks.

“Isla? It’s Cooper…I brought you some food.” Isla wasn’t familiar with this Cooper and just barely opened the door, peering out from the crack. A man with bright blue eyes, curly blonde hair and thick five o clock shadow stood holding a covered tray.

She eyed him suspiciously. “I don’t know you.” she replied.

Cooper ducked his head slightly. “Well with all due respect miss, none of us know you either.” he answered. Exhaling through her nose, she opened the door and stepped aside.

“Set it on the table by the fireplace.” Cooper walked past her, doing as she asked. Isla wrapped her sweater tight around her.

“When is Bane coming back? Where is he?” she asked. Cooper made his way back to the door.

“No one knows.” he replied.

“Why is that?”

“Makes it more difficult for us to give up his whereabouts and plans, should we ever get caught. Only two people here know the details of his present mission, and no one knows who they are.” It made sense, but didn’t make her feel any better.

“Thank you for bringing me my dinner…” she said. Cooper smiled and gestured like he was tipping his hat.

“My pleasure.” he closed the door behind him. Isla wasted no time locking it. She returned to the table and removed the cover over the tray, digging into her luke-warm meal of vegetables and some sort of braised meat drizzled with something that tried in vain to look like gravy.

Tomorrow, she would set out to locating Bane’s whereabouts.

OoOoOoOo


The next morning was a cold and cloudy one. Isla stood by the fireplace trying to stay warm as she dressed. A knock at the door tore her from her thoughts. Before she could dress or even answer, the door opened and Victor entered with Cooper in tow carrying another covered tray of food.

“Excuse me!” she cried angrily, pulling the sheet from the bed and wrapping it around her.

“I apologize Isla. I thought I heard you give me permission to enter.” Victor replied. Isla glared at him.

“Somehow I doubt that. What do you want?” she demanded. Victor let his eyes linger too long on her body before meeting her angry stare.

“I’ve come to bring you food.” He yanked the tray from Cooper and placed it down on the table.

“You may leave.” he called over his shoulder to Cooper.

“No you may NOT leave, Cooper.” Isla said, narrowing her eyes at Victor. “But you can, Victor. Your being here is inappropriate.”

Victor’s left eye twitched slightly and he smirked. “As you wish. Cooper, with me.” They turned to leave.

“I want to speak to Barsad.” she said. Victor stopped and turned.

“Barsad is busy at the moment.” He replied.

“So send him up when he isn’t busy.” Isla snapped.

Victor nodded but made no reply before closing the door behind him. Isla pulled the lid off the tray, revealing an plate of table scraps, and sighed.

OoOoOoOo


A week later, an SUV sped through the Amazon down a very narrow dirt road. Bane leaned forward from the backseat of the SUV. “How much further, Mr. Cortes?”

“Another forty-five minutes, sir.” Cortes replied.

“Make it fifteen.” Bane ordered, sitting back. He felt the SUV speed up and turned his head, popping his neck. He looked out the window at the greenery passing by in a blur, allowing it to put him into a semi-trance. He felt uneasy about leaving Isla alone with his men, but when the information came that he had been waiting year for, he couldn’t allow it to slip away again.

He wondered if she was alright, feeling his chest constrict with brief longing for her.
“Sir, we are coming up on Puerto Carreño now.” Cortes replied. Bane lifted his head.

“Excellent.” He said, glancing behind him at the two other vehicles following closely.

OoOoOoOo


Isla made her way down the stairs slowly one night, taking in the commotion around her. Men were everywhere, some eating, some talking, most were working on some part of some super secret plan, no doubt. She was mainly looking for Victor so as to avoid him, but luckily, he was no where in sight.

She spied Luca by the elevator. He looked less than happy to see her.

“Isla.” he replied, giving her a terse nod.

“Hello, Luca. Have you had any news about Bane?” she asked. Luca pressed the elevator button impatiently.

“Not since you asked me yesterday, or the day before that, or two days before that.”

Isla sighed. “Is he coming back?”

“If the mission is successful.” he replied.

“So he is on a mission…do you know when he’s coming back?” she asked.

“No, I do not. Isn’t there somewhere else you should be?” he asked, pressing the button again.

“No at the moment.” She followed him onto the elevator. Luca sighed, obviously annoyed.

“What is your problem, Luca? Have I offended you in some way?”

“You are annoying. You ask too many questions.” She opened her mouth to respond but he cut her off. “Questions that could get you in trouble.”

“I haven’t done anything to anyone here.” she argued. The elevator opened and the pair walked into the basement.

“You are an outsider.” Luca said quietly, walking over to a sparring mat and began to wrap his hands. She hurried after him, pushing through groups of men.

“I was kidnapped.” she said.

“I have heard otherwise.” He stated.

“What do you mean?!” Isla cried. How could anyone know what went on between them? Luca’s answer was interrupted as Barsad took her roughly by her upper arm and pulled her into a nearby corner.
“What is your problem?!” Isla cried, yanking her arm free. The roaring of men talking quickly died down to a dull rumble.

“Lower your voice. Are you crazy?” Barsad whispered angrily.

“What are you talking abo-”

“You can’t go around asking these men questions, Isla. They don’t like it.”

“Do you men like anything? All I want to know is when or if Bane is coming back.” she said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Come with me. There are too many eye and ears down here.” He took her once more by her arm and practically dragged her through the crowd and into the elevator. She caught a glimpse of Victor staring at them from across the room.

Once the doors closed, Barsad turned to her. “You are playing with fire, Isla.”

She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes.

“Do you think that I am joking? You are snooping around and asking questions to men who are already don’t like the idea of you being here.” he said his face inches from hers.

“Please, Barsad…I only want to know when he will be back…” her eyes filled with tears.

Barsad’s face softened slightly. “I know this. And I tell you he will return, I only don’t know when. You need to trust me. These men will not answer your questions because they do not know you. For all they know, you could be law enforcement or a spy. You can’t give away information they haven’t given you.”

Isla shook her head. “I’m not a cop, you know I’m not. Bane knows I’m not. I have no one except for him. I don’t know my way around here. I’m no threat.” she pleaded.

They stepped out of the elevator onto her floor and he escorted her into her room.

“I realize that you aren’t a threat. But they do not. I am asking you, please, stop this inquisition. I will tell you what I know as the information comes in. And don‘t venture out anywhere without myself or Cooper as your escort.” She plopped down on the couch, defeated and tired.

“He will return, Isla.” Barsad assured her.

“Why didn’t you go with him?” she asked. He knelt at the fireplace and added more wood.

“My orders were to stay here and look after you.” he said, watching the fire roar to life.

“Does he not trust his men?”

“He doesn’t trust anyone.” he chuckled, standing up. He brushed the soot from his hands.

“Do you want me to have your food sent up?” he asked. Isla nodded.

“Are you eating here as well?” she asked.

“If you want. Makes no difference to me.” he said.

She noticed that when Barsad was around Victor tended to leave her alone, and so she had clung to him. He still had his defenses up and acted annoyed at having to be her bodyguard, but he talked to her. And he wasn’t afraid to talk to her around the other men. It was the closest thing to friendship that she had had since Bane left and she was grateful for it.