Cute Is What the Gods Aim For

Three

I was found moments later by Phillip, Mike, Ricky, god knows what all of their names were. Confusion crossed their faces when they saw me hanging out with Raven and Joshua. Joshua rolled his eyes and walked away. Raven bit her lip yet stayed put. I smiled as well as I could and my friends obviously relaxed. Raven latched on to my hand and smiled. I saw Peter [who was highly religious] narrow his eyes and make a quick cross on his chest.
"Go back to hell you spawn of Satan."
The group took a sharp breath in. My eyes flicked back and forth between them and her. Her eyes began to softly gather with tears. I bit my lip. Phillip saw this and rolled his eyes, he didn't think I would actually stick up for her. When I saw the group begin to smirk at her reaction, and the fact that I wasnt involving myself, I felt a tiny spark of something which I've kept locked up for all my life.
I glared at them. "Shame on you. She's new, give her a break."
Peter laughed and sighed. "Are you serious? She's a spawn of Satan."
I held onto Raven's hand tighter. "You don't know what, what is!"
With that I stalked off pulling Raven after me. Once I had gotten around the corner of the gym I stopped us. I turned to look at her but she was gone and I spun around trying to find her. I suddenly felt like a little boy again.

I spun around and around with my arms held out for the wind to catch.
My mother sat and chatted to the priests wife, sipping from a glass of lemonade.
My father had invited the adults over; he didn't really like their kid.
My mother frowned at me and I stopped spinning, instead pouting.
Suddenly I felt a large hand on my six year old shoulder.
I smiled up into the priests face.
He took me by the hand and called to my parents he wanted to teach me something.
They nodded and smiled; what a privilege this was.
I grinned and followed the man I had been taught to look up to.
He led me to a secluded part of the house; it was more like a closet.
He pulled me inside and whispered into my ear.
What kind of secrets do you keep little Kevin.
I shivered and told the priest of the toad I kept under my bed.
I told him about how I fed him the food I didn't eat at dinner.
As I was doing this the priests hand slowly crept up my leg.
His hand made its way up onto my
I stared into his eyes. What are you doing?

I pressed my lips together and felt my throat close as I leaned against the brick wall. One of the memories I had always tried to repress. Always tried to keep from my mind. I curled my hands into fists and my breathing hitched. I heard my name being called and I opened my eyes. Around the corner trouped Susan and the gang of girls that followed her around as she was my girlfriend. I sighed. Never a moment of peace. She smiled with concern written all over her face. Her group of girls giggled among one another as she approached me.
"Kevin darling what is wrong? Phillip said you were hanging out with that, that slut. He said you defended her? What is wrong with you? I know the pressures of school are weighing down on you, there is no need to cheat on me like this." I shook my head; if only she knew.
I stroked her cheek and mentally shuddered. "Sweetheart, I'm not cheating on you."
Her smile was fake but I let it pass. She tugged on my hand yet I remained still. Her frown shone through and she dropped my hand leaving me once again alone. I knew rumors would be probably spread so much it would end up in the school newspaper. I tried not to sigh again, Ive been doing it too much. Suddenly I was tackled to the ground. I looked up and saw Ravens face smiling down at me. I grinned slightly. I was still slightly unsure about her, not only that but, she knew/thought she knew too much. She got off me and dusted her skirt off. She picked at her painted fingernails for a while.
She looked at me and giggled. "Get off the ground Kev-kev."
I got up slowly to be faced with Joshua and Raven. Joshua dug a cigarette out of his pocket and lit it. I didnt know were he got them from; they weren't sold in the shops. Joshua sat down sliding slowly down the brick wall. I watched him. Raven saw this and smiled slightly. I shut my eyes. Her gaze was too knowing. I liked my own world too much, as much as I hated being perfect, it was like an extra skin. I felt like it protected me from all evil. I felt Raven tug on my pant leg and I stared down at her.
"Earth to Kevin." She giggled. I puzzled over how she could be so, cheerful.
I sat down crossing my legs. I smoothed the creases out of my pant legs. I heard a snort and saw Joshua smirking at me. I looked down and bit my lip. I wasn't used to this. Raven pinched Joshua's shoulder and she frowned at him. A smile tugged on his lips and he raised his eyebrow. She stuck her tongue out at him and he pinched it which to she whined and slapped him on the head. I felt my self begin to smile.
Joshua stared at me. "What are you smiling at?"
I ran my tongue over my lips anxiously and looked to Raven. She, however, was lost in her own littler world. Her eyes were cast downward and she was mouthing words to the book in front of her. Joshua tapped my knee. I felt a current on electricity course through my body and the place he had just touched felt electrified.
"What. Are. You. Smiling. At?"
I shook my head. "Nothing."
He rolled his eyes. I stared at his eyes for a moment before looking at Raven. I had to go, he hated me, and, I couldn't stand that fact. I had to go. I got up and began to walk away when Raven called out to me. "Bye-bye Kevin."
I entered the cafeteria as lunch was wrapping its self up. I thanked whatever it was for that. Susan smiled when she saw me. Phillip and Mike nodded their heads and the whole entire atmosphere of the place seemed to relax. I gritted my teeth; I hate being perfect.
The rest of the day was basically the normal dull day. People smiled way to much at me and Joshua's presence really impacted my concentration. This was because him and Raven were absent for the rest of the day. I worried. What else could I do? The religions of Catholics cause your senses and neurotic-ism so I was conditioned to worry so much. Throughout the day I planned various different scenarios in my head to what might of happened to them. For example; Raven bit Joshua, and because she has rabies he got rabies and died instantly. I know, my imagination is far to developed. Anyway, I was so relieved to see that Raven and Joshua were in the main office getting a stern talking to. Joshua was slouched and not listening whilst Raven was staring at him with wide eyes and nodding; she was making a fool of him. My eyes lit up when I saw them that I walked into the room and smiled at the principal. He looked startled but smiled back. Raven saw me and took my arm.
"This here, is my new friend."
The principal smiled uncertainly and glanced at me. "That's uh, nice Michelle."
She frowned. "My name is Raven."
The principals brow wrinkled in confusion. She had spoken too fast again. I cleared my throat and glanced at Raven before saying. "Her name is Raven."
He looked at me. "Can I speak you with you for a moment Kevin?"
I nodded and he shooed Raven and Joshua out of the room. Once we were alone he stared at me. "What is going on with you Kevin?"
I kept a completely blank face. "What do you mean?"
He cleared his throat. "They are not Catholics they are heathens."
I'm a heathen.
But I didn't say that. Instead I said nothing. He looked at me for a moment longer before waving his hand at me, telling me to go. I exited the room to find Raven standing near the door; waiting. She tugged on my arm to lead me outside. On my way out I saw heads turn, whisper and some even did the cross on their chests. Joshua smirked at this and glanced over to Raven. She shrugged, yet still seemed to be slightly fallen. We got to the courtyard outside when Philip and another gaggle of people came up to me, Joshua and Raven.
"Eh, Kevin, are you coming to bible school today?"
They glanced at Raven and Joshua then at me. I showed no expression on my face. Raven glanced at me. "Bible school?"
I turned to her. "Every under 18 residents has to go at least twice a week."
She nodded and glanced at Joshua. His eyes flicked to me and I got lost inside them. I don't think it looked like I was staring at Joshua, rather, just right by him. He turned around to look what I was looking at. I shook myself and glanced at him before I said, "Sorry."
Phillip and everyone else came up to me, and gathered around me and looked at Raven and Joshua disapprovingly. I tried looking at Raven with sorrow, yet it was hard with everyone eying my reaction. I could only remain indifferent for this situation to end its self. Eventually Philip turned to me. "So are you coming?"
I shook my head. "No, sorry."
Philip sighed and the rest of the group went their separate ways to their own homes. Joshua elbowed Raven. She turned to him.
"Yes Joshie-poo?"
He rolled his eyes but I could see a tiny smile form on his lips. "We should go to bible group, since its law, and Dad is making you go." He looked at her for a moment and she nodded quickly. "And since it will literally just be you and me, we can do what ever we want."
His voice sent shivers down my spine. Raven nodded earnestly and then turned to me.
"Are you coming Kev-Kev?"
I glanced around me and found the school empty. I nodded. "Yes."
Raven squealed and jumped on Joshuas back. "Go horsy, go!"
He rolled his eyes yet smiled slightly and began to walk forward. I stayed instep with him. My face cast down wards to the pavement. I heard Joshua murmur something. I glanced at him. I felt my face get hot. He had said something that sounded like;
"Now we have the fucking religious icon with us."