Status: Complete <3

Steam Punk Goggles and Ink Stained Hands

Your Tears Don't Fall, They Crash Around Me

DREW’S POV

~

I’ll tell you what, there is no better way to spend your Friday evening than in an arcade with your mates.

Me, Kier, Laurence, Luke and Luke’s friend Vicki (the girl he’s trying to set up with Kier) were sat by these machines lined up against the back wall taking it turns to kill virtual zombies. I was in a really good mood actually. Barrone opening up and us becoming friends yesterday was one of the main reasons for this.

“Come on, Kier! Buy the lovely lady some chocolate like a real gentleman!” I heard Luke exclaim. I briefly turned my attention away from the game that Laurence and I were engaged in. I watched as Kier retrieved a bar of chocolate from a nearby vending machine and dramatically dropped down onto one knee to present it to the girl with the coffee coloured hair.

“For you, ma lady!” he said, trying to make his English accent comically stronger and more regal.
Vicki laughed and wrapped her arms around his waist once he stood up.

“Thanks, Kier” she grinned.

My attention was drawn back to the screen by the built in sound system blaring out ‘game over!’. As I shifted in my seat I saw Laurence watching the display between Kier and Vicki with a small glare. I was about to make a comment along the lines off ‘Oooh is Laurence jealous that Kier is making Vicki laugh and getting hugs when you want it to be you making her smile?’ when I hear Laurence growl out “lucky bitch” under his breath.

Wait, is Laurence jealous of Vicki?!

“What did you say, Laurence?” I asked, quietly enough that the others didn’t hear.

“What? Oh, nothing…” he mumbled back.

“Really? Because it seems like you are getting a bit jealous of Vicki…” I ended openly, waiting for him to respond.

Suddenly he looked panicked and before I could fully register what was happening he’d taken hold of my arm and dragged me towards the bathrooms by the arcade entrance. The wooden door swung shut behind us and after Laurence took a quick glance at the floor under the stall doors to check that no one’s feet were visible he started to talk.

“Wha-what?” he stuttered. It was kind of funny in a way; Laurence never stutters unless he’s really nervous.

“Let’s not beat around the bush here, Laurence. Do you like Kier?!” I couldn’t help but ask; it was definitely an unrealistic guess and probably completely wrong but I had to ask even if it was a stupid question.

Then I saw Laurence’s cheeks redden; maybe it wasn’t such a stupid question…

“Laurence?” I tried again when he didn’t reply.

“Drew, can I tell you something?” he started quietly.

“Of course you can, Laur” I said reassuringly; why did he even ask? He knows he can tell me anything.

“Drew… I think… I think I’m gay…” he mumbled, avoiding my gaze. Well, I wasn’t expecting that admittedly but why was he so nervous, did he think I was going to judge him? I reached out and took his hand in mine.

“Laurence, look at me. You don’t need to be nervous or embarrassed. I get how hard it is to come out, okay? I went through the same thing” I reminded him and squeezed his hand gently. “That brings me back to the original question; the one you artfully dodged earlier. Laurence, do you like Kier?”

Laurence has always been very good with his emotions. He can stay strong at the hardest times and has always been the group’s emotional support but yet here he stands, close to tears.

This must be really serious.

“Yeah… but it doesn’t even feel like a normal crush, it feels so much stronger than that… Drew, I think I’m in love… and I don’t know what the fuck I’m meant to do…” It broke my heart into a million pieces to see Laurence cry. He leant back against the wooden counter of the sinks and put his head in his hands, trying to stop the tears that had spilt over onto his cheeks. “And the worst part is that it’s with Kier! He’s my best friend! This is so messed up…”

I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around his shaking body and hugged him tight just like he does with me when I’m upset. I nuzzled my head into the front of his hoodie in a comforting way and just held him for a minute until he got his tears under control again. He wiped his eyes with the edge of his hoodie sleeve and looked at me.

“I’m so sorry, Drew…” he mumbled into my shoulder, clearly embarrassed about letting his emotions take over. He hates being like this; he feels weak. I pulled back slightly and took his hands in mine again.

“Hey… don’t apologise, Laur” I started and lifted his chin up so he looked at me rather than the floor.

“Crying doesn’t always mean you’re weak, sometimes it means that you’ve been strong for too long. It’s okay to be upset and confused, Laurence. I’m here for you, we’re all here for you and you know Kier is here for you because believe it or not he loves you too. Whether it’s in a relationship way or a brotherly way I have no clue though, which is why you need to talk to him and find out how he feels” I finished soothingly, hoping Laurence will find comfort in my words.

“Yeah but Drew, you saw how he was with Vicki out there! I doubt he’s gay and if their little display and Luke’s not so subtle hints are anything to go by it wouldn’t surprise me if they got together! I can’t just walk up to him and say ‘oh, hey Kier, you know how we’ve been best friends for years and like tell each other everything? Well here’s something I bet you didn’t know – I’m gay and in love with you! ... Did we have any chemistry homework?’ and just continue on as normal! Everything will change and I doubt it’ll be for the better!” he sighed.

“Laurence. I’m going to give you the same advice that is given to love struck characters in every clichéd love film, in every romance novel and in every rom-com tv show. You don’t know how it will go unless you do it, you’ll never know if he feels the same unless you tell him. You and Kier are such good friends that even if he didn’t feel the same I doubt that it would ruin your friendship or anything. Kier isn’t the sort of guy that would just turn his back on you. Just remember that things might not happen straight away, you gotta give it time” I advised.

Laurence chuckled quietly and before looking at me seriously.

“You think?” he whispered.

“Yes, Laurence. Now stop being a clichéd love struck 16 year old because I know you and you’re far from clichéd. You’re unique, funny, kind and Kier would be a fool to push you away” I would have continued had I not been engulfed in a tight embrace from Laurence.

“Thanks Drew, you’re such a good friend”

“That’s okay, Laurence. Just go on being your happy self and when the times right, talk to him”

His usual smile crept back onto his face making me smile as well; I really hate seeing my friends upset. We stepped away from the bathroom counters and made our way towards the door; the others were probably wondering where we’d gotten to.
Laurence stepped out first and actually ended up running into the subject of our previous conversation – Kier.

“Oh, there you two are! Guess what!” he said brightly.

“What?” I replied, slightly curious of the reason for Kier’s megawatt smile.

“Me and Vicki are together now! We were both awkwardly trying to suggest it and getting nowhere so in the end I just grew a pair and asked and she said yes!”

Laurence pasted on a smile real quick but I still caught the hurt that flashed in his eyes before they returned to normal. Looks like Laurence has gone back on the emotional defensive again.

“Good for you, Kier!” he sounded pretty genuine but that might just have been practice with concealing emotions; it may surprisingly have been real though as at the end of the day Laurence just wants Kier to be happy. He’s always felt like this and that’s not new, we all knew just how much Laurence cared for Kier. Now though, it seems I’m the only one who understands just how deep that love runs.

As Kier raced off again back to where the others were presumably now gathered I gave Laurence a sympathetic glance.

“I’m going to get some Coca-cola, okay?” he asked with a sad smile. I nodded and watched him walk over to the drinks and confectionary stand on the other side of the arcade. After realising that I was also thirsty, I went to follow him but then stopped immediately when I hurt someone gently crying.

Confused, I walked back into the bathroom and looked around; I couldn’t see anyone in here. Then I heard shuffling coming from the stall on the end with the door slightly ajar.

Curious as to what was happening, I walked over to where the crying was coming from and gently pushed the door open, not expecting to find anyone in there since I saw no feet on the floor underneath.

I felt my jaw literally drop when the door swung open to reveal Barrone; sitting on the edge of the toilet lid with his knees drawn up close to his chest.

“Barrone!” I exclaimed, making his head shoot up in surprise.

“Dre-Drew?” he stuttered and studied me with tear glazed eyes. What’s with all the crying today? I think there’s something in the drinks at this place…

I was immediately concerned about the boy with steam punk goggles hanging around his neck and what looked like ink smeared all over his hands. I was about to ask him what was wrong when he suddenly jumped to his feet and darted past me towards the door.

“Wait, Barrone!” I called after the retreating boy in a futile effort to make him stop. When his pace didn’t slow even a little but instead turned into a full out sprint I started to chase after him. I’ve already had one friend in tears today, I’m not letting Barrone be upset as well. I did the only thing I could think of in the current situation and chased after him, praying that I could catch up to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow a lot of shit went down in that chapter...

Laurence coming out, admitting his love, Kier getting a girlfriend, Drew being emotional support, finding Barrone crying...

Well, that was a happy chapter! not.

Will hopefully be updating again on Friday :)

Thanks for reading! <3 ~KilljoyAndProudOfIt