I Want You On My Team

I Can't Turn Back

From dinner we got a police escort to the location of prom so that we could bypass the line of cars that had to show their student identification and tickets to get into the parking lot. Holland was through the roof. She was loving the star treatment. The limo pulled up to the building. Our door was opened. I let Kyle climb out first and then help Holland out behind him. I gave Nick a peck before he stepped out and held a hand out for me. I took it gladly and slid out the door. He held my waist as we climbed the steps and entered the building. It was like everyone inside was waiting for us. It was kind of weird. I had started getting used to everyone staring, but every person in the room stood to greet us and shake Nick’s hand. Awkward was an understatement.

“Principal Simmons has an announcement.” The DJ spoke causing everyone to turn and look that way.
“Students and staff, under no means should you act foolish in anyway regarding Mr. Jonas’s presence here today. Treat him like you would your peers. He is one of you tonight. Thank you. I remind you that all outside cell phones, cameras, and other recording devices must be checked in at the front desk. They will be returned to you when you exit. Cameras for the event will be provided and all photos will be available on the school website tomorrow at eleven. Also feel free to get professional pictures out in the lobby or the photo booth located over in the north corner. Thank you for your time.” Hopefully people will actually follow the rules. I didn't want any unnecessary trouble. Holland turned to me.

“Girl, you want to go get some formals taken? Better do it before I get to dancing and mess my hair.” I nodded and lead the group out to the lobby where the photographer was stationed. Another friend of my mother, he used to photograph me as a kid. He smiled when he saw me walking towards him. Once I reached him he hugged me tight.

“My have you grown up! I remember when you were this tall!” He motioned to three feet above the floor. “When you mom called and asked if I would photograph for your prom I was like oh no she’s not old enough for prom. Then I realized you are an adult and oh it made me feel so old. And look at you, you look just like your mom. I hear you are going to have a little baby coming into your house soon. Hope it’ll be as pretty as you are. So, you are probably coming for pictures not to chat. Here, here.” He led us to the back drop. “You and your date first.” He positioned me so Nick and I had chests almost touching and his arm was around my waist. “Look at me. Smile.” He reminded us as if we had never had our picture taken. “Such a lovely couple. You should have babies and let me photograph them. They would be beautiful.”

“You are going to have to wait for that. A long time.” I laughed with that. He dragged in Holland and Kyle and rearranged us again. Finally, Nick and I stepped away from the camera. Holland and Kyle got their couple pictures done as we escaped back into the ballroom. The dance floor was loaded so we figured we would slip in unnoticed. I wasn't too good at on choreographed dancing to fast music, but I did my best not to let that show. I conformed to those around me and especially Nick because he was better at this then I was. It was however, my time to take the lead when the song we were dancing to turned to a slow, love song. He was momentarily confused until I put his hands on my lower back. I placed mine on his neck. He laughed and then took one of my hands pulled me close.

“I don’t want to fit in.” He whispered and twisted me around. The ballroom dancing lessons I took when I was twelve kicked in. We turned and dipped. By the end of the song the whole occupancy of the room were watching us. When the last note played we were applauded. Which made me blush just a little until the next song started up and everyone went back to dancing. I pulled Nick out of the crowd so we could take a break. He got us drinks and we sat down at an empty table. He pulled out one of the rented cameras and held it out.

“I picture to commemorate our first night as a couple.” He explained before pushing the button and nimbly turning to kiss my cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last chapter, but the sequel is posted.
<3 Kelsey