Status: Feed my comment box pls.

Unconditional.

Chapter Three

It was like at that moment my body took control of itself, and all I could do was watch. My feet carried me hastily forward in a sprint, and my fist came down on him just as he reached for her. He was a lot bigger than me, but I had the element of surprise. He staggered backwards, his hand flying to his face where I'd hit him, and I seized the opportunity to shove him backwards, as far away from Holly as my strength would allow. His body slammed against the opposite wall and he crashed to the damp ground.

I knelt in front of Holly. She was curled up tight, her head resting on her knees, her frail body trembling. I didn't say anythnig to her. Truth be told, I didn't really know what to say. I'd never been in this situation before. As gently as I could, I wrapped my arms around her and picked her up, my only priority getting her as far away from her attacker as possible. Slowly, she curled her arms around my neck and rested her head on my shoulder. I could feel her shaking against me, hear her soft whimpers in my ear and feel her tears soaking into my shirt, and all I wanted was to protect her.

I carried her back inside, the music enveloping us once more. The whole ordeal had barely taken a minute, but it seemed as if I was walking in on a completely new atmosphere. It's amazing how a single moment can change the course of your entire day.

Aidan caught my eye as I approached the bar, still cradling Holly, and his eyes widened in shock. I got there as quickly as I could, my eyes scanning the club for Brewer, because really I had no idea what to do. How was I supposed to explain to my new boss that I'd just saved his daughter from some stranger?

"What happened?" Aidan demanded when I reached the bar.

"Some guy..." I said vaguely, rather unsure of what happened myself.

I tried to set Holly down in the chair I'd originally found her occupying, but she didn't seem to want to let go of me. As I stooped to put her down, her arms tightened around my neck and she held her body close to mine. I straightened up, confused, but she only held me, saying nothing. She wouldn't even look up at me.

"Luke," said Aidan venomously. "I'm betting it was Luke."

I turned around, still holding Holly, and frowned. "Who?"

"Her ex," he explained. "He's been following her ever since she dumped him a few days ago. We've been hoping if we ignore him he'll go away, but..." Aidan smiled grimly. "She doesn't like it when we talk about him. Look, why don't you take her home? I'll find Felix, he's bound to be around here somewhere..."

I objected, a small groan escaping me, and Aidan raised an eyebrow. "Look man, it's my first day. I can't go home early! That is the worst possible impression I could leave..."

"Trust me," he said reassuringly, "Brewer will thank you for this, and it's not like Holly's giving you a choice." He searched the crowd around the bar, as if he'd already made my mind up for me, and summoned someone to him. "Hey, Brett! Is Felix around, have you seen him?"

I sighed. It seemed it had been decided. With difficulty, I collected Holly's bag, trying not to drop her. It was just typical something like this would happen to me on my first day. I should have known it wasn't going to go the way I'd wanted; nothing ever did. I turned back to Aidan, who smiled at me.

"All sorted," he said. "Felix can work the rest of your shift. Go."

I nodded and did as I was told. The cold hit me like a tonne of bricks when I stepped outside, and I tightened my grip on Holly as she shivered. Naturally I'd forgotten to wear a jacket to work. I'd left via the back door, but I saw no sign of Holly's attacker. I carried her through the alley and onto the dark, lamplit street, looking up and down the road for a taxi. I didn't even know where we were going.

I walked slowly down the street, my back starting to ache, keeping my eyes peeled for a taxi, wondering how the hell these things always happened to me. Drama just seemed to gravitate towards me, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get away from it. I never asked for it, I never went looking for it, but it seemed I didn't need to. Trouble always had a way of finding me.

Finally I managed to hail a taxi, and finally Holly found her feet. I let her climb into the taxi first and then followed her, and as soon as I was comfortable she was leaning on me again, her hair falling over her face. I draped my arm around her trembling shoulders and pulled her into me.

"Where to?" asked the taxi driver as the car began to move.

"Can we go to your house?" Holly whispered, peering up at me through the gaps in her hair.

My eyes met hers and I shot her a questioning look. Would taking Holly to my house rub Brewer the wrong way? Would I be asking for trouble if she didn't arrive home that night? It was my first day of work and I was already considering kidnapping my manager's daughter.

I don't know what possessed me to do it. Maybe my body was working itself again, because I found myself giving the taxi driver my address.

We didn't say anything the entire journey home, but somehow it wasn't awkward. It didn't feel weird sharing a taxi with a girl I'd met a few hours ago. All I could think about was the guy who'd attacked her. I wondered what would've happened to Holly if I hadn't followed them, and it sent shivers down my spine. What if I'd followed ten minutes later, only to find her lifeless body behind a bin? The very thought was terrifying. I barely knew her, yet already I felt the need to protect her from harm.

I wanted to ask her what happened back there, but somehow I knew she probably wouldn't answer with another person in the car. Something about the look she'd given me told me she was hiding something. Something told me she was bearing a burden her father didn't know about. How much did Brewer know about his daughter's ex boyfriend?

We arrived at my house, and I prayed my parents were asleep already. I didn't need Mum asking me why I was home early from my new job, and why a girl was hanging from my arm. I dug in my pockets for change and handed it to the driver before we stepped out of the car. Silently, we crossed the threshold into the house, Holly looking around in quiet wonder. Unfortunately, I heard someone moving in the living room as the front door clicked shut behind us, and my older sister Billie poked her head around the door.

"You're home early," she observed, and Holly edged behind me as my sister's gaze fell on her.

"Why are you even here at all?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes. "Did Zack kick you out again?"

"No," she said, frowning and leaning against the doorframe. "I walked out on him this time. He'll be begging for me to come back by tomorrow. So...?"

"I'll explain later," I sighed, my hand closing around Holly's.

With that I hurried upstairs to my room, dragging Holly with me. I let go as soon as the door was closed behind us, throwing her bag onto my unmade bed and flicking the light on. I kicked my shoes off and loosened my shirt collar, never taking my eyes off her. She drifted around my room, touching things and looking at things. I smiled sheepishly. It was kind of a mess, with clothes strewn across the floor and empty mugs crowding the desk. The sheets on my bed were scrunched up and crumpled, and the curtains were shut.

I kicked a pile of dirty clothes under the bed in an attempt to tidy up a bit, but she didn't seem to mind the mess. She stroked the spines of the books on my shelves, pulling a few out to read the summaries before gently putting them back.

I cleared my throat quietly and she finally turned her full green gaze on me, but I didn't understand her expression. Tucking her hair behind her ear, she went silently to the bed and sat down, still looking at me.

"Do you want a drink?" I asked, and she shook her head, patting the empty space on the bed beside her.

I sat, my eyes searching her. She didn't look bruised or hurt, but for all I knew, she could've been hurt under the jacket she was wearing. Gently, I pushed her hair out of her face, my hand moving down to tilt her chin up. She just sat there, watching me examine her. Finally, I dropped my hand and sighed.

"His name is Luke," she breathed, before I could say anything. "He's been my boyfriend for the past year, but I broke it off a few days ago."

"Has he been hurting you?" I asked, tentatively reaching for her hand.

For a moment she said nothing. She broke eye contact and her gaze sank to the messy sheets beneath us. Sadness overwhelmed her pretty face, and I wondered if holding her would be inappropriate. She just looked so helpless and fragile, and suddenly I didn't want an answer because I knew what it would be.

"I haven't told anyone," she whispered, her voice quavering.

At that point I didn't even care if it was inappropriate or not. I reached out and pulled her into my lap, wrapping my arms around her and letting her bury her face in my shoulder. I stroked her soft hair, breathing in the sweet scent of honey and feeling her tremble against me like a frightened animal.

She sank into me, just letting her weight fall against me, and I knew sharing her burden with me was a relief for her. I held her for a long time, my arms secure around her, letting her know she was safe. It was a while before she stopped shaking, and I wondered if she'd fallen asleep. Her breathing was slow and even, and she was completely limp against me.

But before I could lift her onto the bed and tuck her under the duvet, she stirred.

"Josh?" she murmured.

"Yeah?"

"Please don't tell."

I hesitated, knowing it was probably the wrong thing to do. If Brewer knew what Luke had done to Holly, he could do something about it. He could keep that monster from ever hurting his daughter again. But I knew it had taken a lot for her to trust me with this secret, and I didn't want her to feel like she couldn't trust me. Maybe me knowing was enough. Maybe I could keep him away from her myself. Maybe now someone had actually stepped up to defend her, he'd leave her alone.

"Josh," she said again, pulling away so she could look at me. "Promise you won't tell?"

I was scared for her. I wanted to tell her father, because what if Luke came back and I wasn't there? What if he got her for real next time? But her eyes were begging with me, and there was something in those emerald gems that made me bend to her will.

"Okay," I said quietly, and she leaned back into me, sighing with relief, "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Erm yeah hi. Here's a new chapter and I hope you all like it. I just wanted to say thanks if you're still with me, and please keep giving feedback. It's nice to see people are reading and commenting, so yeah.

Also, if you're enjoying this please do me a favour and share it around?

Thanks, expect a new chapter soon!