Status: Writing

My Best Friend's Ex-Boyfriend

8

“Anna!” I jumped in surprise, I looked out my window and I saw Zach at his.

“What are you doing, freak?”

“Where was my walking home buddy today?”

“I had free period last, so I went home,” I turned my laptop off; “I didn’t know we were buddies.”

“We are now.”

“Hm. Why don’t you hang out with Christa?”

“I am on Friday afternoon, why?” He ran his hand through his hair.

“She was upset at break today because you never hang out with her.”

“I always hang out with her, she just doesn’t realise,” he sat down on the window sill, “she forgets that I have football practice all the time, yet I am the head of the team.”

“True,” I drew circles with my finger on the table, “just try and make time for her? I don’t want to see her upset like this.”

“I know, I will,” He smiled then I did back, “I’ll catch ya later? I got some shit I need to do.”

“Sure thing,” We smiled at each other again and I closed my window.

I made an early dinner for myself, another bowl of corn beef and rice. I watched a couple episodes of Skins; it was my favourite TV show ever. It was 8:30 and I didn’t feel like going to sleep yet, so I went to bed and started texting Christa.

Anna: hey babe, what’s up?
Christa: eh, not much. i just wanna be with zach right now. you’re lucky you live right next to him. :(
Anna: aw poor you. honestly, i don’t talk to him even though he is my neighbour.
Christa: really? if you do, can you ask about me?
Anna: sure, i will. anyway, i’m going to hit the hay, night. xxx

I woke up on Thursday morning, feeling as shit as ever. I reminded myself just today and tomorrow and you can sleep in for the next six weeks. I picked out a floral playsuit and a pair of brown sandals. I did the usual make-up routine and tied my hair in a high ponytail. I grabbed an Up&Go drink and started drinking it while I locked the front door and walked to school. I was about to turn the corner until I heard someone yell my name.