Status: Writing

My Best Friend's Ex-Boyfriend

9

“Anna, wait up!” I turned around to see Zach running up to me.

“Ditching your car?” I sipped from my drink.

“Yeah, I figured that I could walk today, with you.”

“Well, uh, that’s nice of you,” I sipped again, “wouldn’t Christa be a little on edge?”

“You two are best friends? She wouldn’t hate you forever if we walked to school together.”

“Yeah, but the last person she would see you walking with would be me…” I threw my Up&Go in a local trashcan.

“Why would that be?”

“I used to talk about how much I disliked you to her, but us being best friends, she didn’t have a problem with it.”

We both laughed.

“Well, I suppose you don’t dislike me so much now, right?”

“Hm… I guess you are ok,” I smiled, “Just don’t make her upset. I will fuck you up like I said the other day.”

We continued to walk to school. I didn’t really feel comfortable walking through the school gate with him because Christa might be at school already, waiting for me at our table. I forgot about the thought and just went with the flow. Just my luck, she was already waiting and she saw Zachary and I walk in together towards her.

“Hi guys?” I knew exactly what she was thinking, why the fuck is my best friend and boyfriend walking together?

“To sum it all up, I WAS walking by myself and some idiot came running up to me,” Zachary nudged my arm, “End of story.”

Christa laughed nervously, I could tell since I am her best friend, I can tell how she is feeling just how her body reacts. Zachary had to go to football practice, so he kissed her on the lips and walked off with his friends. Christa and I both had double free period first up, so we hung out at the library. I knew what she saw this morning made her feel weird, so I tried my best to confront her about it.

“Christa, what’s up?”