Make Me Feel Glorious

Chapter 7

-PJ’s POV-

A banging on the door brought me round from my train of thoughts, I was part way through editing my latest video, the banging could not be ignored there was something desperate about it, like some one was trying to gain entry to my small flat.

I sighed confused and walked down the long hallway, I pulled the door open to be faced with Chris,

“I was meant to meet Sophie at 8 she’s not there she went to Frankie’s” he stopped for a few seconds to catch his breath “Peej I think something bad has happened”

Panic ripped through my insides as my heart raced, I snatched my door keys from the small table in the hallway and rushed out of the door slamming it closed behind me.

Chris and I sprinted in the direction of Frankie’s place with Chris leading the way, as we rounded the corner my heart fell in to the pit of my stomach, I stopped dead in my tracks, outside Frankie’s house where two police cars and an ambulance, my eyes stang as tears fell, adrenaline pumped through me and my body surged forward in to a sprint, several uniformed bodies milled around out on the street, everything seemed to move in slow motion around me as I looked on as my sister was brought out of the house on a stretcher, her face swollen bloodied and bruised, I remained speechless not finding the words to express the anger and sadness I felt at that moment in time, I should have been there to protect her I should have stopped her from seeing him, now she was fighting for her life.

I sat in the small cubicle sealed off by a curtain with a garish pattern watching as Sophie slept peacefully blissfully unaware if the anguish that was around her, Chris sat staring silently, the odd tear streaming from his eyes, he rubbed them away aggressively with his sleeve leaving angry pink marks on his face.

Sophies arms twitched violently as she came to and instantly sobbing, unaware anyone was In the room with her

“Peej? Chris?”

Her voice was quiet and hoarse; we both sprung up and took one of her hands to hold, Chris’s tears falling faster now, she glanced up at me with fear coursing through her, I gently stroked her hair

“Hey there little one”

I smiled as her features seemed to soften, her eyes still full of tears as she stared in to mine,

“I’m sorry I should have listened to you”

“Don’t apologise, look Chris is here”

She turned her head and smiled at him as he leant forward and kissed her forehead gently, he helped her sit up taking extra care not to knock any pipes or wires that she was attached to, I pulled her pillows up in to place so that she could lean comfortably.
I glanced over at Chris,

“Chris? Can I speak to you outside for a sec please?”

He looked taken aback

“Yeah sure”

We left the small cubicle and spoke in hushed tones

“Look it’s not that I don’t trust you, you’re my best friend and you have been for a long time just please I beg you take care of her”

He nodded

“I will”

We walked back into the small cubicle and he back at sophies side playing with her hair and caressing her hand, we stayed for a few hours making Sophie laugh and running errands for her, she was still very timid and visibly uncomfortable.

A silver haired middle aged nurse came in clasping a clipboard to her chest she smiled warmly at us all

“Hey guys! So are we family or just friends of this young lady’s?”

She had a strong American twang

“I’m her brother”

Chris smiled at Sophie Fondly

“Yeah I’m just a close friend”

She smiled

“Great! So I’m Delilah and I’ve been taking care of Sophie since she was admitted to us and I bring fantastic news, considering the velocity of the attack Sophie has been lucky enough to only escape with flesh wounds! We’ve had all her results back from the lab and the only thing we can suggest to you is painkillers and a lot of rest, right now she’s getting her painkillers through the drip but ibuprofen or paracetomol should be fine for her to take”

For the first time in a long time Sophie was smiling, chris leant forward and kissed her on the cheek still gripping her hand,

The nurse tilted her head slightly

“You two would be super adorable together” She laughed “I’ll just go and get your discharge forms and you can be on your way”

I walked over and pulled the nurse in to a tight hug

“Thank you so much!”

She laughed loudly

“Oh sweetheart it’s my job!”

She made a quick dash out of the room leaving the three of us alone again, there was a brief silence, before Sophie’s quite voice broke it,

“Pj? Can I stay with you?”

“Sophie you’ve got your own room don’t ask stupid questions”

I laughed before she cut me off

“Can Chris stay?”

I glanced over at him, he smiled back at me trying to look as innocent as possible

“Fine for a few weeks until you get better”

He held her close to him, making me smile at last she was getting looked after.