The Perfect Fan

Chapter 13

After everyone had given their statements, Veck followed Norman, Paige, and Leo to Norman's apartment. Veck wanted to check the place out and see how safe it was. Once things were settled, Veck left, making sure the building was going to be watched. Norman showed Leo to his spare bed room then led Paige to his room. He was going to sleep on the couch. His son was out of his town with his ex so they didn't have to worry about the boy.

" So, you can put your stuff my bathroom. There are towels in the closet just outside the room. My cat might creep up into the bed with you but just put her off and she will leave you alone." Norman said quietly, setting Paige's bags down. Paige sank down onto his bed but was still not talking. He sighed and sat down beside her. Her hands were resting on her lap. He frowned but reached out and took one of her hands. He squeezed it tightly. " It's going to be okay." He tried to reassure her. Paige closed her eyes at the same time his phone went off. He took it out, noticing it was Veck's number. " I'll be back, okay?" He patted her hand and stood up as he answered it.

" Norman, it's Veck. I have the FBI agents down here. They would like to come up and speak with Paige. Can you let us in?" Veck's deep voice asked.

" Yeah, yeah, sure. Give me five minutes." Norman said. He hung up his phone, faced Paige then knelt down in front of her. He placed his hands on her knees. " I'm going to run downstairs for a minute. The FBI is here. They want to talk to you. I'm going to get Leo to sit with you." Paige was staring at his chest but still not talking. Norman brought his hand up and cupped the back of her neck. He brought his forehead to hers and closed his eyes. " Please talk to me." He said softly. When she didn't say anything he sighed and pulled away. He took a hold of her chin and let his fingers stroke her skin, trying to give her some comfort but she didn't knowledge him in anyway. Norman shook his head and stood up. He walked out of his room and to the guest room. He told Leo where he was going then walked out.

Standing outside the doors to his apartment building was Veck and five other people. Norman opened his door and hellos were exchanged between Veck and Norman before everyone walked into the building. Veck quickly introduced him to the agents then they followed him to the floor his apartment was at. The agents all looked worried which didn't make Norman feel any better.

Once in his apartment, the group followed him down the hallway to his room. Leo was sitting beside Paige, holding her hand and talking quietly to her. She was still staring straight ahead. Her skin was washed out and she looked like she was made out of stone. The only movement coming from her was the slow rise and fall of her chest and a few blinks of her eyes. Leo stood up and everyone started to shake hands with Norman standing back, arms crossed over his chest.

" Paige, it's Derek Morgan." The well built, black man said as he came forward. He sat down on her left side.

" Hey, it's Dr. Reid." The younger man said as he sat down at her right side.

" Has she been like this long?" Agent Hotchner asked. Norman figured out quickly that he was the one in charge.

" She hasn't spoken a word since we found the scarf." Norman said quickly. The only woman in the group came to her knees in front of Paige. She swept her hand over Paige's hair.

" Paige, Honey, it's Prentiss." She said gently.

" She's in shock." Agent Rossi said.

" Reid, take her vitals." Hotchner ordered. Morgan and Prentiss were talking to her in low voices while Reid took a gentle hold of her wrist to check her pulse. Hotchner turned towards Norman and Leo. " Let's step out. I'd like to talk with you both."

Veck, Rossi, Hotchner, Norman, and Leo walked out to his living room with Prentiss, Morgan and Reid stayed in Norman's bedroom with Paige. Norman and Leo sat on his couch with Veck and the agents stayed standing. Hotchner was frowning and rubbing his chin. Rossi had wandered over to the windows and was looking out. Veck was waiting for the agents to take the lead in the questions.

" Have either of you noticed anything strange or any strange people hanging around?" Hotchner asked.

" No." Norman answered while Leo shook his head.

" After her store was broken into, we checked around your guys home town," Rossi said as he walked over to them. " Mike was seen around, asking about her. We think that's how he found out she was here. What we can't figure out is how he found her store. Leo would notice him right away if he saw him. Have you ever talked about her in the open?" Norman shook his head as he frowned.

" Are you sure it wasn't in passing?" Hotchner asked.

" Well, I said something about her to Sean once." Norman said. Then a thought dawned over him, making the Agents take notice.

" What is it?" Hotchner asked.

" I was at a Starbucks with my buddy, Sean. I told him about Paige. I said I kept running into this girl I met at the Comic Com. I said her name and that she was from Ohio. I told Sean I thought she hot and I wanted to ask her out. Then this guy ran straight into me. He knocked over my drink. I remember looking up at him because he didn't say he was sorry. I remember him now because he was wearing an Ohio State hoodie. I thought it was weird because I was just talking about her being from Ohio then this guy runs into me wearing an Ohio State hoodie." The Agents exchanged a look before they looked back at him.

" Would you be able to pick him out of a series of pictures?" Rossi asked.

" No. He was wearing a hat and I never got a look at his face." Norman said.

" Was this before or after her store was broken into?" Hotchner asked.

" Before. I had found her book store and was surprised she was there. She ordered a book for me then I met Sean at the Starbucks." Norman explained.

" And when did you go to back to the store?" Rossi asked.

" The next day to pick up my book."

" And when did the break in at her shop happen?" Hotchner asked. His arms were crossed over his chest and he was still rubbing his chin.

" The day after I picked up my book." Shock went through Norman as Hotchner and Rossi looked at each other. His blood went cold and he felt like it was hard to breath. " Oh fuck me. I led him right to her, didn't I? That's what you're thinking isn't it?" He felt all his blood drain from his face.

" I think it was him that ran into you at the Starbucks. I think he was angry with you because maybe he thought you were dating her." Rossi said. " I think he followed you, hoping you would take him to her store."

" And I did." Norman said softly. " I served her up on a platter to him."

" You didn't mean too. You couldn't have known someone was tailing you." Hotchner tried to reassure him.

" So that means he knows where you live and what you drive." Rossi said.

" Are you thinking he needs an officer with him?" Hotchner asked.

" I think it's good idea. I think Mike knows she is here now. I think he thinks they are a couple and he will target Norman. He has already acted out in an aggressive matter towards him. There is a good chance he will come after him to get to her." Rossi said.

" Well, " Prentiss said as she came out of the hallway. " she isn't talking. Ried said her vitals are strong but he thinks she is in shock. He thinks she just needs to sleep. Have we figured anything out?"

" We believe it was Mike that broke into her store." Rossi said. " I think he has been watching her, learning her schedule. He let her get comfortable after the break in then staged the scarf. He wants her to know that he knows where she is."

" So what's the plan?" Prentiss asked.

XXXXXX

" Come on, Baby Girl." Morgan said gently to Paige. " You need to talk to us. Let us know you're in there. Don't let him pull you back under like this." The group heard when they walked into Norman's bedroom. Everyone was looking at her. Rossi came forward and sank down in front of her.

" Paige, It's David Rossi." He said quietly. Paige's eyes shifted to his face. " We are going to get him this time. He is not going to hurt you again." Finally, for the first time in hours, an expression went over her face. She looked like she was in pain.

" He's here." She whispered. " He came for me."

" He did but he doesn't realize how many people you have here that care about you and will protect you. He won't have the chance to take you again." She closed her eyes as a tear slipped down.

" He will never stop." She said.

" Don't think that way, Baby Girl." Morgan said. Paige opened her eyes and looked at him.

" You all know it's true. He won't leave me alone until either he is dead or I am." She said.

" Paige," Hotchner said as he came forward. " We will stop him. We will find him. Veck and the other officers are checking with all the hotels. His picture will be hitting the news tonight. We set up a hot line for information on him. He won't get away this time." Paige swallowed and looked away.

" You need to rest. The building will be watched tonight. We will take you to work. We will be with Leo and Norman as well." Rossi said. " Get some sleep, okay?"