Status: On-going. Have done a number of chapters already! ;)

Give It to Me

Cinq: Intoxicated

All the guys went for a drink since the next day was one of the limited off days the tour had. Mauve was left alone in the tour bus, very happy that she finally had the place to herself. She decided to tidy up; picking up food wrappers, a couple of soda cans left on the table, and wiping the dirt off the tiny kitchen countertops. Not bothering to mess with the other bunks but her own, she grabbed her phone and headed to the back of the bus. She popped in a random movie from the goody bag a fan gave to Pat (which was now on the couch) hoping he wouldn’t mind. In the middle of Lion King, her phone buzzed and lit up. It was her mom asking if she was fine and where she is.

“Mom, I’m fine.”

“But sweetie, you’ve gotta co-” She cut her mother off and thought of what exact words to say.

“Really, mom. I need this. You told me I needed to live my life, right? Promise, I’m doing well. All I can say is that I’m having a good time here in New York. I’ll come home as soon as possible.” She knows her decision to go was rash but this was something she wanted to do.

“Your dad and I miss you so much. I trust you on this. See you soon. I love you, sweetie.”

“I love you, Mom. Tell Dad I miss him too.” Mauve ended the call before her mother could say something to convince her to go back to Arizona.

Weary and a little guilty from the call, she chose to wait outside get some air and simultaneously wait for the boys. It was a humid April night and she stripped off her hoodie showing her A Rocket To The Moon tank top with the phrase “Are you on our side” in big font.

Minutes later, the band and the crew emerged heading towards the bus. “A little help here, Mauve?” Kennedy called out to her, in his ever youthful voice. Her eyes widen as she saw Garrett being dragged by Larry, the band’s tour manager, and the drummer while John was surrounded by Jared and the others as he was telling along some silly story with some profanities here and there.

She opened the bus door and approached them. “What happened? Why are Garrett and John so drunk?”

“Oh, it’s the usual with John. He drank a little too much whiskey and got a tad bit more talkative.” He sighed. “With Garrett, though? I honestly don’t know. He downed beer bottle after bottle like there’s no tomorrow. It’s unlike him.”

They all went back to the bus. Mauve made coffee which the others helped themselves with. John settled into his bunk after finishing his random story that involved. Along with Mauve, Kennedy and Jared helped Garrett into his bunk.

“Mauve, thanks for the coffee. You’re the best. I’ve got to sleep this off. I’m drunk myself,” Jared thanked her, adding a yawn instead of a period to his sentence.

He gave her a bear hug and trailed off to the sleeping quarters. “Welcome. Good luck with the hangover!” She laughed to herself, yet wondered why the bassist got himself wasted.

As she washed the empty mugs, someone’s hands grabbed her waist. She froze on the spot as she felt lips near her ear.

“Hey.” The one behind her greeted in almost a whisper. She turned herself around. It was Garrett, drunk Garrett. Mauve was about to speak, but his lips crashed forcefully on hers. Her fan girl self would kiss back, but she pushed him away and slapped his face.

The morning after was synonymous with head-splitting hangovers. Kennedy and Pat took the liberty to go to a convenience store and bought various hangover cures suited to each one on the bus. When they got back, Mauve just served breakfast and all started to dig in.

“Soooo, last night was pretty interesting.” John opened up the conversation. He took a bite of his waffle and sank down on the brown couch. He was sandwiched between Larry and Jared.

Kennedy chuckled. “Yuh huh. You were John the story teller again.”

“I know that already. My hangover keeps reminding me. I’m wondering about Garrett.” The vocalist massaged his left temple on cue.

On the right side, the bassist was in the dining booth and scowled. “Fuck off, John.”

“Hey, hey. Stop with the profanity. What made you drink all that booze last night, anyways? ” Pat questioned. “You gotta thank Mauve. She’s the one who cleaned you up.”

Mauve was uneasy. She tried to hide it and sipped her coffee, the mug never left as if hiding her lips. Garrett raised his Alka-Seltzer-filled drink and raised it to her. “Thanks.”

The auburn-haired girl smiled as a reply, her eyes focused on him and looked down on her coffee in an instant.

The Maine booked two shows in New York. They decided to check in a hotel close to the venue. Three rooms had three beds each. After checking in, the rest of the day was spent at the Santos Party House.

Pat was done with checking with his drums and approached the merch booth. “Hey, Mauve. Can we talk?”

Mauve was thinking about doing the same thing, really. “You beat me to it. I need to tell you something.” She looked at Larry.

“Everything’s set up and ready for tonight. You can go have your girl talk.” Larry assured Mauve with a grin on his face.

The two walked away and found a spot far from everyone. Mauve went on and shared to Pat what happened yesterday.

“Gar, did what?!” The drummer was flabbergasted of what he had just heard.

The merch girl just nodded. “Then, I went straight to bed after I slapped him on the face.”

“You did what?!” Pat simply cannot wrap his head around the idea that his friend would do such a thing.

“Shh. People might hear you.”

“Sorry.” He sighed. “It’s just that, I’m very surprised. Although, I know for a fact that he only gets wasted when he has problems with his love life. I mean, he’s not in a relationship right now. He and Erin broke up a few months ago.”

“Not sure. Gar’s not the one to share about his personal life, obviously.”

The show was amazing. Sold out and no problems arose during the first night. To celebrate, the whole crew along with Lydia and Arkells had a late dinner at a restaurant two blocks away from the hotel The Maine was staying at.

Throughout the whole feast, Lydia’s vocalist, Leighton has being eyeing Mauve. On the other hand, the redhead has been too busy to notice and had her mind fondling over the kiss attack the other night. Everyone was about to proceed back to their hotels when the vocalist approached Mauve who was still lost in her own thoughts.

“Been seeing you at every show manning The Maine’s merch booth. You distract me when I perform, you know.”

“I’m sorry, then.” She then looked up and laughed.

“Decided it’s time to talk to you about it. I’m Leighton.” He took Mauve’s hand in his and kissed it.

Out of nowhere, Garrett intervened. He dragged her away by the arm from Leighton. “I need to talk to you about something.”

“What’s your problem, Garrett?” She confronted him, removing herself from his grip. “Great timing, by the way.”

“Sorry. I’m saving you from heartbreak. That guy’s is a known ladies man.”

“Uh huh,” she replied in a doubtful tone. “...and I’m supposed to thank you, right?”

“You should. Whatever, I can’t help noticing how you keep ignoring me.” He sighed. “I owe you an apology, I know.”

“For what?”

“Don’t act like you don’t know.”

“You’re the one who’s doing that, love.”

“I’m sorry I kissed you, okay? I was drunk.” He apologized. “To get even with you, can I treat you with a parfait? There’s this ice cream parlor two blocks away from here.”

“Apology accepted. Sure, I can’t turn down ice cream.”

They walked down the street, enjoying small talk. She could feel Garrett still seemed bothered. New York at night is not at all different when the sun is up. People in the street were like ants, busy and hectic. Not minding the traffic lights the slightest bit just like the locals, the two cross the street.

Finally, they reach the destination. The ice cream parlor was aptly named Dolce. It was romantic and cozy, looked and felt like the Paris cafes featured in travel magazines. They picked the table behind the glass. They could see the people outside who were too caught up in their fast-paced lives. Mauve ordered a chocolate parfait and Garrett chose to indulge in an old-fashioned banana split.

“Here you go. Enjoy.” The waitress, in her forties, served their orders on the circular table. “I must say, you guys are a lovely couple.”

Mauve’s cheeks turned red. The bassist gave the waitress a tightlipped smile and a “Thank you.”

At first, they ate in silence. The redhead was thinking of small talk, but Garrett finally started the conversation.

“My girlfriend…uhh,” he stuttered and started again. “My then girlfriend and I broke up last November. It just stung that she’s already in a new one, and... My god, she’s engaged now.”

All she could do was listen to him. He was opening up to her. “I loved her. Cliché, but touring broke us up. She said she fell out of love. Distance sucks.”

“Maybe fate’s got something in store for you. You’ll find the right girl.” She assured him, then putting a spoonful of chocolate ice cream in her mouth.

Her smile was infectious that Garrett coaxed a genuine grin back. “See, it’s going to be fine! I cheered you up, didn’t I?”

“You did. Thank you.” Tucking a few strands of her hair at the back her ear, he replied. “You really are quite distracting, Violet.”

“Fast change of emotions, eh? First, you’re sad. Now, you’re being cheesy and trying to dazzle me like Leighton. Are you just making me fall for you?”

“What if I am?”

“Jerk.”

“Come on, let’s go back to the hotel.”

“Yes, please.”
♠ ♠ ♠
How was it? Haha. Chapter 6 is ready to post, but I'll make you all wait. Maybe comments or recs would change my mind? ;)

Anyways, thank you for subbing and reading! You're all lovely!

- Tisha c: