Still the One

C.

Six in the morning came fast as it always did. Harry groans from his side of the bell as I roll over to silence my alarm clock. The flashing bright numbers seemed like they were laughing at me repeatedly. ‘Stay home again.’ Harry mutters from his pillow as I stand up to head to class, ‘Think about it – it’ll be just like yesterday. Do you remember how much fun we had yesterday?’

‘Tempting.’ I giggle, standing up to stretch my arms, ‘but you know that I can’t miss again. Actually, neither can you. You cancelled your studio session once already.’ I crawl back into the bed to kiss his cheek, ‘Get up and go write some good stuff.’

‘Yeah, yeah, yeah.’ Harry scoffs through a short laugh, pulling the white sheets over his head.

To wake myself up, I decide to take a quick, hot shower. Mostly letting the water run all over me. ‘I’m leaving now Harry, bye bye.’ I call as I grab my backpack and purse from the chair in the corner of the room.

‘Kiss first.’ He sits up in the bed rubbing his eyes with his large hands, ‘I love you.’

‘I love you.’ I repeat falling into his grasp, instantly feeling warm and at home. ‘Please no takeout tonight,’ I speak in between kisses, ‘We can cook something together once I leave Glamour.’

‘Alright, whatever you want.’ He agrees with a nod of his head, ‘I’ll see you tonight.’

‘See you then.’ I sneak in one more kiss before heading out to the garage.

The drive to university came much quicker than I hoped. I knew that I would miss it one day as Harry suggested, but I could not wait for the day I drove out of this parking lot for the last time. Mr. Jacobs casually strolls in right before 8, slipping his thin arms out of his leather jacket. His aviators coolly hung from the collar of his shirt. I direct my attention towards my Communications presentation assignment as he leans against his podium to speak.

‘Alright class, there is no paper due today so you can all take a bit of a breather. However, do not get too excited because I expect the final draft of your paper in my hands first thing Monday morning. If I were you, I would ring up my mates and cancel any plans I had to hit up the bar this weekend. Just explain to them how this paper is worth 20% of your final course grade and how Mr. Jacobs does not tolerate late work. Maybe if you have a really good excuse – I know, I know I am bit of a pushover but I want you all to actually put your best effort in this assignment. I mean, I think that’s only fair. I could have had you write some twenty-page paper with 10 cited sources, but no. All I want is a six-page paper saying why you love the person you love. That’s not so bad, is it?

‘So, if the paper isn’t due today, what will we do in class?’ Some voice eagerly chimes in from the back of the room.

‘I am so very glad you asked. Today, is optional. I know, I made you waste your gas and energy this morning and I do apologize, but I needed to make sure everyone heard about the paper being due on Monday. So, I am going to sit at my desk in the front and if you need any last-minute tips before the weekend, I am happily waiting to listen and to answer any of your questions or concerns. If not, go, take an early day. Go to the library, grab some breakfast, study, ditch, whatever. Just make sure that your paper is in my hands on Monday at the start of class. Have a good weekend everyone.’

I gather up my things and wonder what to do for the next hour before my Communications class. I end up finding a nice spot outside the library and finish the final draft of my paper so I wouldn’t have to worry about it this weekend. Writing this paper definitely made me love Harry that much more. I couldn’t wait for him to read it tonight after work. Hopefully, Mr. Jacobs agrees. During Communications, I make plans with Max and Christopher to get started on our presentation over the weekend. They decided to come over on Sunday, while Harry’s at the studio for another session.

‘There she is!’ I beam, rushing over to hug Tiffany once I step off the lift at Glamour. Tiffany had been gone for the last six weeks on her maternity leave. ‘I have missed you!’

‘Ah, I’ve missed you too.’ She singsongs, swaying the two of us side to side, ‘I see I came back right when things were getting hectic around here.’

‘It’s been nonstop.’ I nod, looking at all of the fellow Glamour workers shuffling from office to office with the revamp details still being sorted out. ‘How is Charlotte? Do you miss her terribly already?’

‘I may or may not have already called the sitter four times this morning making sure she’s adjusting okay. I can’t help it, she’s the absolute love of my life.’

‘I’m sure the sitter loves you so much.’ I tease while walking to my office. Tiffany and I decided to get lunch together where we did some much-needed catching up. Tiffany may or may not have called their sitter two more times within an hour to see if Charlotte going in her feeding at lunch and was down for a nap.

Harry’s Point of View

‘Hey baby,’ I smile into the phone once I see Libby’s calling me. I ignore my band’s laughter in the background as I close my guitar case to leave, ‘I am leaving the studio right now.’

‘Hi, I’m leaving here soon. Wanna get dinner started for me?’ She wonders and I could practically feel my stomach tighten as she laughs into the receiver. Like music to my ears. The best kind of music actually.

‘What will you do for me?’ I taunt with a hushed down as I push the door open, heading to my car, ‘In exchange for starting dinner?’

‘Um, do you remember that really fun night we had a while ago where you were on the sofa-…’

‘Yes, I remember it quite well actually.’ I blurt cutting her off mid-sentence, ‘Is that what you had in mind for tonight?’

‘We’ll see,’ She teases in a mere whisper and it drives me crazy, ‘Get dinner started.’

‘Consider the table set and the food done.’ I laugh hanging up the phone after blabbering an I love you to her.

I rush to Tesco and grab one of the carts waiting by the glass doors. I decide to go with some quick and easy, chicken. My specialty. As I’m looking through the vegetables, two young girls walk uneasily towards me. I could see how nervous they were from where I stood. Down the aisle, their mom or so I thought, encouraged them to come up to me. I signal them with a wave of my hand as I lean against the cart.

‘Hi Harry!’ One beams throwing her short arms around me, ‘We’ve been trying to meet you for years now!’

‘Who knew we’d see you at a Tesco!’ The other laughs joining in on the hug, ‘we’re such big fans!’

‘Well I appreciate it more than I could ever say, thank you.’

‘Could we possibly get a picture?’

‘Of course, you can.’ I agree placing my arms around each of them as the woman grows closer with her phone already out, ‘Are you girls ready?’

‘Can we maybe see your new hair?’ The smaller fan wonders after several pictures were taken.

‘Um, no not yet.’ I laugh shyly pulling the beanie down on my head to secure it. ‘Soon though.’

After my trip to Tesco, I head home to get things started before Libby got there. I pour two glasses of wine as I hear her footsteps grow closer. She silently wraps her arms around my waist as I tend to the chicken.

‘I have been waiting all day for this.’ She smiles taking the wine glass to her lips, ‘How was the studio?’

I loved how no matter how her day was, she would always jump in and ask about mine. She would sit there for minutes upon minutes listening to me ramble about the song writing process or how some interview went. She loved it. Every bit of it. She would even demand that I didn’t leave out any details, no matter how small. ‘It was good,’ I answer pressing my lips to her forehead, ‘and yours?’

‘Well I finished my paper.’ She speaks excitedly walking over to her bag to retrieve her laptop, ‘Do you think you have time to look it over before bed?’

‘I’ll look at it now.’ I smile sitting down at the table with her on my lap, ‘The chicken still has about twenty minutes left anyway.’

I read over her paper, which was about me. I was honored. The way she described me, I couldn’t write something better about my own self if I tried. From the corner of my eye, I could see her watching me nervously. She was always nervous when I read her writing. I don’t know why, she’s great it. Better than great actually. ‘What do you think?’ She inquires as I scroll down the screen one final time.

‘I love you,’ Were the first words I was able to think of, ‘I can’t tell you just how often I’m in awe of you but this is one of those moments. Thank you for choosing me to write about it. Please, print me a copy so I can take it with me when I go to film.’

‘Really?’ Her shoulders drop with ease as a smile plays on her face.

‘Really.’ I confirm kissing her, ‘I loved it.’

‘I love you.’ She nestles herself against me as I reread the paper.

After dinner, I’m upstairs in bed as Libby insists on washing the dishes since I cooked without her. Thankfully, she didn’t have to be up in the morning because all I wanted to do was lie with her. I look at my watch as she finally walks past me to go shower.

‘So, um, I got dinner started.’ I speak bluntly taking my eyes off the screen to focus on her.

‘You did.’ She smiles, ‘just sit tight.’

And so, I did.

Libby’s Point of View

I take a quick shower, washing the day off me before glancing at myself in the mirror. My skin felt warm, nerves. I ordered one of those sparkly lingerie outfits a couple of weeks ago and I was finally testing it out. For a mere five seconds, all I had to do was not fall flat on my face in these possibly too high heels. ‘Just make it to the bed without falling.’ I coach myself, spritzing my wrists with my usual perfume, his favorite. I decide to cut out the light and walk out of the bathroom before Harry fell asleep. When I get into the bedroom, he’s sitting straight up looking at me with wide eyes.

‘That- that new?’ He stammers running his hand across the light specks of stubble on his chin.

‘Uh huh.’ I nod, giving him a quick twirl before carefully falling into his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N:

First, I want to express my condolences for the people of Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, and any other places. Thinking of all of those affected as well as their loved ones in such difficult, tragic times.

Next, 100 chapters down!! To anyone who has ever read one chapter or all one hundred, thank you! I hope that you continue to follow along with this story for another hundred more. Feel free to comment, subscribe, or recommend Still the One.

Hope you all a safe, wonderful day (: