Still the One

LVIII.

Harry’s Point of View

I sat in my car driving through the small town looking for my girlfriend. She was wandering somewhere through a town she’s never been to. My hands were trembling against the cool steering wheel. Where could she be? I dial her number again but she doesn’t answer. She could’ve left it back in that godforsaken house. She left in such rush. I would’ve too if I witnessed what she did.

‘I’m going to the toilet.’ I whisper into Libby’s ear as I stand from the table.

She nods her head as she politely continues to eat the meal she probably hates. Lauren’s mom made some kind of beef stew and it was horrible. Then again she wasn’t the best cook from as long as I remember. I snake around the table and down the wide hallway into the familiar toilet room. Now that I was much older it seemed smaller. There was a light knock on the door as I finished up.

‘Coming out baby.’ I call back turning the water off.

I open the door to see Lauren standing there instead of Libby. With a sigh I step back into the dim lighted hallway face-to-face with Lauren.

‘May I help you?’

‘It’s about Libby.’ She answers.

‘What about her?’

‘She just doesn’t seem like your type.’ Lauren starts out cuffing the collar of my shirt with a finger. ‘You know, she just seems so boring.’

‘You don’t know a thing about her.’ I try my best to keep my voice down and my tone low.

‘I know that you can never be fully happy with her. You know it. You’re going to get bored one day. I bet she leaves you wanting more. Not like me. I will always fulfill your every desire and need. Always, H.’

‘I told you that I’ve moved on and you should do the sa-…’

She cuts me off midsentence by smashing her lips to mine and shoving me into the wall. The picture on the wall rattles before hitting the ground.

‘Oh my.’ Lauren’s mom calls out from the end of the hallway.

Her daughter released her grasp on me revealing just who stood at the end of hallway. My dad, Lauren’s mom, and Libby stood in the entrance. Libby’s mouth was formed in a full O and her eyes were wide. She glances from Lauren to back and me again.

‘Harry!’ Lauren squeals as if I was the one who pounced on her.

‘Baby, listen.’ I rush to Libby even though my legs felt like Jell-O. I reach out for her but she yanks away from me.

‘No. Just- just leave me alone right now Harry.’

I watch as she rushes out of the front door and Gemma follows behind her. Connor is sat at the table confused. Soon Gemma comes back in, alone appearing defeated.

‘She wanted to be alone.’ Gemma calls aloud.

‘Stay away from me.’ I bark in Lauren’s direction.

I wasn’t one for disrespecting women so I left before I had zero control over what may escape my lips. I run out onto the porch to see Libby out of sight. She had to take off running. I run back into my dad’s house to find it empty. She’s somewhere in this mysterious town. I snatch my keys from the rack and jump into the car. The streets were fairly empty besides a few late night workers locking up shops. There were a few people at the only bar in town. Something told me she was here. I sure hope I’m wrong. I cut the engine and slowly make my way into the familiar bar. I definitely hadn’t been in here in awhile. I remember drinking inside of this place until everything was black. I’ve had at least thirty fights in here. Good thing the owner was already drunk himself so I was never kicked out. In fact I was actually considered a regular. The bar was dark and loud as I always remembered. I let my eyes scan the building looking for Libby.

‘Harry!’ the old bartender shouts out. ‘Haven’t seen you round these parts in ages.’

‘Yeah, lots of memories.’ I nod pulling a wooden stool. ‘Have you seen a small girl in here? Curvy figure? Dark hair?’

‘You mean her?’ he points across the dark small building.

I follow his finger to see my girlfriend sat alone at a table in the back of the bar.

‘Can I get a shot of whiskey?’

‘It’s on the house.’ Dan slides a small glass of the dark liquid.

‘I knew I always liked you.’ I stiff out a small laugh downing the drink.

Dan immediately slides two or three more before I finally make my way over to Libby’s table. In front of her was a small glass of what I’m sure was water. Just as I step toward the table some guy slides down into the chair next to her.

Fuck no.

I should break his face for even looking at her. I stay back as I watch her fan him off. He touches her shoulder and she moves over uncomfortable. The drunk asshole tilts his head back with laughter. She presses her fingers to her temples, clearly uncomfortable. I watch as he grabs her shoulders and forces his lips to hers. A train crashed right into my chest, forcing the wind out of my body. I literally felt sick to my stomach and my body shook with rage. I shove people out of the way as I fill in the wide space between my girlfriend and I. I grab the back of his shirt and yank him from the chair.

‘Harry.’ Libby blurts out, stunned. ‘I- I- I didn’t kiss him. He kiss-…’

‘I saw.’

Saw is an understatement. The image was burned into my head.

‘What the hell, mate? Find your own!’ the guy I tossed is now up.

He shoves me into the table, hard. Libby squeals rushing to my side. She touches my face staring into my eyes.

‘Are you okay?’

I look up from where I laid on the floor. The guy was making his way over with balled fist. He obviously was looking for a fight unfortunately with the wrong person.

‘Don’t try to stop me.’ I warn Libby as I come to my feet.

Just as I stand up the prick punches me in the face. Then again. Everything went from black to red. I don’t remember much after that.

‘Harry!’ Libby shrieks. ‘Stop it!’

I look down to see this guy’s nose gushing blood everywhere. Shit. Libby drags me off of him falling in the process. I reach to help her but she moves aside. In her eyes was something I never saw before. Fear. I look at my bloody fist ashamed. Blood was coming from my lips, for the umpteenth time. So this was my thirty-first fight in this place. Drunken chatter ran through my ears as I rushed out behind her. Thank God everyone in this damn place was too drunk to process what was going on. Libby snakes her body through the cars. She walks right past the Range Rover and along side the road. Instead of getting in the car I follow right behind her.

‘Libby, will you stop?’ I ask, the words come out unfortunately slurred.

‘You’re drunk.’ She points out with a tone I couldn’t read.

I wouldn’t call it drunk. I’d say I was borderline drunk. God she was walking fast.

‘Please stop.’ I beg quietly.

She stops in her tracks and turns to face me. Her soft cheeks were stained with fresh tears. I take a few steps getting right in front of her. I reach to place a hand on her cheek but she moves away.

‘You know I would never, ever hurt you. Right?’

She nods but I could see it in her eyes she wasn’t one hundred percent sure and that killed me.

‘I love you. That shit back there with Lauren-…’

‘Was shit?’ She fills in.

‘Exactly. I could honestly care less about her. You are my life.’

‘How cliché.’ She teases with the straightest face.

She starts walking again leaving me to catch up with her. I couldn’t stop staring at the perfect curve of her body.

‘I knew she would turn out be a bitch.’ Libby swears not bothering to look back at me.

She very rarely swears. Only when she’s beyond pissed off you’ll hear Libby White swear. I must say how attractive it actually is.

‘Can I ask you something?’ I wonder keeping a few feet between us.

‘What?’

‘I can’t think that I scared you back there in the bar.’

‘I was actually scared for him. I think you broke his nose.’

‘Well, he did punch me twice.’

‘And you yanked him from the chair.’

‘Well he kissed you.’

‘And Lauren kissed you.’

The air was dead silent for a few moments.

‘That kiss meant nothing. Did yours?’

‘It meant nothing.’ She repeats coming to a stop.

‘So am I forgiven?’

‘I wasn’t mad at you. I was upset and directed it to you.’ She explains looking into my eyes.

‘Is that a yes?’

‘Only if you stop jumping on every guy who pisses you off.’

‘Okay sure.’

‘I mean it Harry.’

She offers the smallest smile as we continue walking to the house.