Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

Meeting an Old Friend

They walked through the forest, with Gandalf as their new lead, and he now wore a grey Elven cloak over his white robes.

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins. We must ride to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras? That is no short distance!"
Gimli remarked

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king."
Aragorn commented.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured."
Was Gandalf's answer.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank, tree-infested -"

Gimli remarked, and once more the angry Groans of the trees reviberated through the forest.

"I mean, charming, quite charming forest."

Arryn laughed, lightly, and the groans from the trees ceased, almost immediately. Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas turned to face Arryn, and there was a small smile graced their lips. Arryn turned to look at them, and she looked away, a bit embarrassed.

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great poer has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."
Gandalf said, as he looked at the Hunters.

"In one thing you have not changed, dear friend."
Aragorn said to Gandalf.

"Hm?"

"You still speak in riddles."
Aragorn clarified, and they both shared a laugh.

"A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The ents are going to wake up ... and find that they are strong."
Gandalf added.

"Strong?!"
Gimli exclaimed, before he heard the trees groan.
"Oh, that’s good."

"So stop your fretting, Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be."

"This new Gandalf’s more grumpy than the old one."
Gimli murmured to himself.

When they reached the outside of the forest, Gandalf whistled piercingly. Soon an answering neigh was heard and a white horse appeared from the plain, as it answered the call.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell."

The horse came around to stop in front of Gandalf.

"Shadowfax."

Gimli bowed in the background.

"He's the lord of all horses and he's been my friend through many dangers."

When the other horses came around, the Four Hunters and Gandalf rode across the plains to Edoras.