Status: Please comment and subscribe! Thanks for reading

Beauty and a Beast

The Heir of Númenor

They rode all day and made camp at night. She slipped off of Aldavinur, and almost fell over in fatigue, but somehow, she miraculously managed to stay awake to go hunting. She was able to shoot 4 rabbits, and a small but fat quail. She cooked the rabbits and the quail, and split them up equally throughout the 5 of them. Surprisingly, she wasn’t all that hungry, so she fed her share to the horses. She sat by the fire, trying desperately to warm herself, which wasn’t working very well. So she was sitting by the fire shivering, and her stomach groaning in hunger, but she just wasn’t feeling that hungry.

Immediately after eating, Gimli fell asleep, and Arryn continued to stare out at the fire. She felt someone sit down beside her, and she slightly turned her head to see that Legolas had sat down beside her. She looked cold, even at the fact that she was so close to the fire.

"Are you alright, Arryn?"
He asked, and she nodded, quickly.

"I'm perfectly alright, Legolas."
She replied, and at that moment, her stomach rumbled.

Legolas frowned. Arryn mentally frowned as well. Damn her bloody stomach. She was not feeling hungry. She usually had given her share of food to the Hobbits, but since they were no longer with them, she gave them to the horses. They needed it more than she did.

"Are you hungry, then?"
He asked, prepared to go get some of the Lembas that they had left if she was.

"No, I'm not, Legolas."
She replied, before she sighed.

She did not need someone else looking out for her. According to Lady Galadhriel, Nyx was relying on her for things. A host for her bloody soul. Shelter. Protection. Arryn shook her head, as she pulled the corners of her cloak tighter around herself.

Gandalf was looking at the east. Aragorn got up from the fire and joined him.

"The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dûr, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Númenor still lives."

Aragorn turned to look at Gandalf, as the wizard's voice dropped to a whisper.

"Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of Men. He will use his puppet, Saruman, to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The king's mind is enslaved,"
Gandalf shook his head.
"...it's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But for all their cunning we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a Hobbit. Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest."

Aragorn looked troubled.

"Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone."

"He's not alone. Sam went with him."

Gandalf looked pleased.
"Did he? Did he indeed? Good. Yes, very good."

Gandalf sighed, and Aragorn turned to look at him.

"There is a greater threat, Aragorn. Greater than Sauron..."

Aragorn nodded. He knew of whom Gandalf spoke of. Almost every living being in Middle Earth knew.

"Nyx."
Aragorn answered.

When Arryn heard him say that, her face filled with fear, even though she tried her best to hide her clear discomfort.

"She is growing. Stronger. Stronger than Sauron himself. This war will not end until she is dead. She, like her father. They are both slowly regaining their full strength. She is going to come back. Whether we want her here or not."

Arryn felt something rip through her chest. Nyx had obviously heard the comments between Gandalf, and Aragorn. She winced slightly. Another thing her demon could do was, cause her pain from the inside. Legolas looked over at Arryn. As much as she tried to hide it, he had noticed that when Aragorn had mentioned Nyx, her facial expression changed. So. She had also heard of Nyx's...reputation. Well. She should have.

Her kin was the one that had destroyed Nyx in the first place. That was years and years ago. Out of all the times, she could have come back, why would she choose to come back now? The better question was, why was she coming back? How was she coming back? He looked at Arryn, and without even thinking about what he was doing, the Elf took her hand, and linked his fingers with her own. She was surprised at the sudden gesture from the Elven Prince, but she ignored it, and she leaned into him. Neither of them said anything, as they both drifted into sleep, with Arryn still leaning into him, and their fingers still intertwined with the others.