Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 13

Three months and no contact with Louise, it is the longest he had gone without talking to her. He expected her to call, to send a text or just show up but she didn’t and his ego stopped him from doing anything about it. He knew he would eventually see her. They did move in the same circles. They were bound to come face to face soon. But Louise has been MIA from every polo match, every party and even from their monthly football games.

Like every other night Harry drowned himself in alcohol. Chelsy was back in South Africa so he went out with his mates to yet another new posh club in London. Harry was enjoying himself when he saw Jake with a brunette on the other side of the club. For a second he thought it was Louise and he felt the similar anger in the pit of his stomach but then he noticed that the girl was nothing like Louise. Jake and the girl was laughing, leaning on each other almost touching, definitely flirting. Again he felt anger again thinking Jake was a dick to cheat on Louise.

“Who is the girl with Jake?” Harry asked Guy.

“That is Isabella Davis, his new squeeze” Guy said.

“New squeeze? What about Louise?” Harry asked trying to sound not interested.

“What about Louise? They broke up even before they got back together” Guy said with a chuckle.

“She dumped his sorry arse. He has been moping for months before Isabella came along”

----

“Are you really sure about this, sweetie?” Simon asked his daughter for the tenth time since morning. From her facial expressions he could see she was losing her patience now.

Sighing “Yes dad, I really want to do this” Louise said playing with her cereal.

“I am just worried about you. You haven’t lived…” He continued.

“Dad” Louise cut him off. “I will be fine” She said placing her hand on his.

“If that’s what you really want. In that case, I must go and make necessary phones calls” Simon said excusing himself from the breakfast table.

Louise could feel Luke’s eyes on her but she ignored still looking at her cereal bowl.

“Lou, I know you were devastated with what happened with Cambridge but there are still better
Universities here…”

“Luke, please. I would have thought you would be happy for me” She said giving him a weak smile.

“I am happy and damn proud of you Lou but I have this nagging feeling you are running away from something or someone” Luke said.

Even though Louise was shocked by what her brother had said she didn’t let it show on her face. She
had been getting better at hiding her emotions.

“Maybe I am. But that doesn’t matter; it would be such a brilliant experience Luke. You guys can always
come and visit me”

“You talk like you’re going to be an hour away” He said putting his spoon down. “You going to be
across the ocean, it’s an eleven hour flight, Lou”

Louise grinned “You sound exactly like dad”

Luke narrowed his eyes “It’s true isn’t it. You are leaving us all to go study at a fancy university in
America. How am I suppose protect my little sister when I am not even going to be on the same
continent as her?”

“You don’t have to protect me Luke. I am eighteen; I can take care of myself”

“Says the girl who still gets paper cuts constantly”

“Oh, sod off”

Luke smiled “I am proud of you. You know that, right? I never thought one of use can get into such a
prestigious university let alone on a scholarship. Mom would be very proud of you”

“Thanks Luke” Louise said blushing.

---

Harry sat across from William as they attended yet another garden party thrown by their grandmother. The entire garden was filled with their family and close friends. Beatrice, Eugene, Zara and Peter filled the rest of the chairs on their table. William was talking to Peter while Harry made light conversation with Beatrice.

“I am so excited about Louise party this Friday” Beatrice said.

“Louise’s party?” Harry asked.

“Yea, I met Mark last weekend at the polo club he invited me. I didn’t even knew Louise was going to America to study”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion “America?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, he said she had enrolled in UCLA. You must be gutted though. You two have been joined at hip since you were diapers” Beatrice said with a chuckle.

Harry nodded still in puzzlement he looked at William, who was still busy talking to Peter.

Later, Harry found William alone “Will, is…” Harry said rubbing the back of his neck. “I heard Louise is going to UCLA” He said. He didn’t want to show he cared, his ego was far greater than that but he was flipping out right about now.

“You are asking me or telling me Harry, because I am already aware of it” William said.

“So it’s true then she is leaving for America”

“Yes, she is leaving this Sunday. Her classes start in two weeks. She just wanted to go ahead of time to
setup” William said.

“What happened to Cambridge?” Harry asked still utterly confusion. All this was just not making any sense to him.

William looked at Harry titling his head slightly. “She didn’t get in, Harry. Didn’t she tell you that?”

“No” Harry said rubbing his hands over his face suddenly feeling like a dick for not even knowing this much about his best friend.

“You haven’t talked to her, have you?” William knew the answer to the question but he just wanted to hear it coming from Harry.

Harry shook his head.

“Mark and Luke are throwing her a going away party. You should go” William said.

“I wasn’t invited” Harry said going red with embarrassment.

“Does it matter Harry? She would still expect you to be there”

“I don’t think so” Harry said ruffling his hair. “I did say some…” He sighed. “She had clearly made up her mind. She is leaving. I don’t think there is anything to do here anymore”

“Harry” William said placing his hand on his shoulder.

“It’s ok. We should get back to the party” Harry said turning around.

----

Louise stood with a glass of champagne in her hand as her brothers made a toast. She was surrounded by her friends and family. She was flying to America with Mandy this Sunday, who also enrolled to UCLA with her. To anyone who saw her, she seemed happy but inside she was miserable. Her eyes wandered around looking for his face. Hoping he would show up. She didn’t expect him to, she knew him too well but still she hoped for it none the less.

“Louise” She was greeted with a highly intoxicated Tom.

“Tom” She said with a smile. She knew she was going to miss her life here, especially her family and her silly friends.

“Can you please tell me why are you leaving again?” Tom asked slurring a little.

“To study Tom” She said.

“You know your abandoning our ginger prince” Tom said getting serious. “We had an agreement of share custody and now you are leaving”

Louise walls came down for a second but then she put them right back up “I am not abandoning anyone Tom, I am giving him all to you. Now he is all yours” She said with a forced smile.

“I don’t like it. He doesn’t talk about you and you are fucking leaving. It was not supposed to be this way” Tom rambled.

“It’s alright Tom” Louise said.

“I am going miss you” He said giving her a weak smile.

“Awww Tom you’re going to make me cry now” She said hugging him.

“It’s very easy to make you laugh too Louise” He said breaking the hug.

“How so?” She asked.

“I just have to show you some of my amazing dance moves”

Louise put her head back and laughed.

She didn’t even realize and soon the party came to an end. Everyone was leaving saying their goodbyes. Telling her how much they are going to miss her. Natasha cried for half an hour straight. Jake came, though it was still awkward between them, she appreciated him being there. Kate took her in a tight hug, telling her she expected her to keep in touch. The last one to say goodbye to her was William, who took her in a bear hug.

“Louise, nothing would be the same without you” He said giving her a sad smile.

She gave him a smile in return. She was too emotional to say anything at the time.

“I know it’s not my place to say anything, but I would really like to apologize on my brother behalf…”

“Will, don’t please” She said as tears filled her eyes again.

“If you want I can drag his sorry arse here right now”

“You can’t make Harry do something he doesn’t want to do Will, we all know that” She said laughing lightly.

“He is an idiot to let you go” William said caressing her cheek with his palm. “I am really going to miss
you” He said giving her a kiss on the cheek before he left.

---

Harry sat in his car as he instructed his driver and Albert to keeping driving around Louise’s house. It’s been more than three hours since they had been circling her house back and forth. He tried urging himself to stop the car and get out. But, he was angry, hurt and still baffled by the news of her leaving. His heart told him she would not leave without telling him but his brain reminded him that he had gone too far with her, saying those things were wrong.

He sat there looking at people coming and going out of the house but he didn’t have the courage to face her. He couldn’t when she didn’t want to see his face. His ego was stopping him from getting rejected.

“Master Harry” Albert voice bought him back from his thoughts. “Everyone is leaving, it seems. Shall we pullover?”

“No, just take me home” Harry said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Going Away Party Outfit

Soundtrack - Michelle Branch - Goodbye To You

This is a short one but your guesses were right she is going away. What do you think?

Thanks again for all the commenting and subscribing.

A big shout out to whatsamme, Lucy579, Daybreak1996, Freeing Conscience and Death_to_Roses for their lovely comments!