Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 21

When Louise exited the Novel café it was already getting dark outside. Clutching her guitar she made her way to her apartment. She had a nagging feeling that someone was following her which was absurd because it was a busy street with throngs of students all around her. She took a short cut and entered her apartment building. The elevator had been out a service for a few days now so she took the stairs. It was only three floors. As she entered her hallway she saw a strange man standing outside her apartment door. She dug her hands in her backpack for her keys and checked if she still had the pepper spray Mandy gave her when they first moved to LA nearly three years ago. Thankfully she had never needed it before today. She kept her head down walked to her door trying to avoid eye contact with the stranger.

As she got closer to her door she heard another pair of footsteps behind her. Her heart started beating wildly. All sorts of bad scenarios played in her head. She mentally cursed Mandy for never being in her apartment. She peaked at the person standing in front of her. There was something familiar about the man.

“Albert” She said not believing her eyes. What in the world will Harry’s security aid will be doing here?

“Miss Tomlinson” He said taking off his baseball cap.

“What…” She opened her mouth as she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to come face to face with the red haired prince.

“Harry” She said furrowing her eyes in confusion.

He was panting, resting his hands on his knees.

“I’ve been following you since you left the café. You are fast, woman” He said.

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

“I can get a glass of water first” He asked smiling weakly.

Standing in her kitchen Louise watched Harry as he gulped down second glass of water. It felt odd to have him in her apartment. Her place seemed too small for his presence. She was accustomed seeing him in huge palaces and homes. He just looked wrong standing in her two bedroom apartment.

“Thanks for that. It was so bloody hot out there” Harry said putting the glass down.

“What did you expect? It’s California not London” Louise said getting defensive about the place she called home for the past three years. “What exactly are you doing here?” She asked again.

“Why do you keep asking me that? Isn’t it obvious? I am here for your for birthday you nutter” He said with a smile.

She said nothing just stared as if not believing what he was saying.

“I remember promising my friend that we will get hammered on her 21st. So here I am” He said giving her his cheeky grin.

When she still didn’t say anything he continued.

“I know in the past I have been bad at keeping promises but I am here now and I have a bottle of tequila in my bag to get us started”

“You flew all this way just for my birthday?” She asked not quite believing him.

“Yes, just for your birthday” He said softly this time.

Slowly her lips twisted into a small grin.

“That reminds me. I should’ve started with this” He took two steps towards standing just inches away
from her. He smiled down at her. “Happy birthday, Lou”

Still grinning Louise jumped into his arms.

“Oh Harry” She said as she hugged him tightly.

“So, what is the plan for the evening?” He asked when she let go of him.

“My deranged friends are throwing me a surprise party, which is not so much of a surprise” She said
checking her wall clock. “I should probably change. You need to freshen up or use the loo?”

“No, I am quite alright” He said looking around her apartment.

“I’ll be just a minute and then we will leave for my friend Zack place. It’s not far from here” She kept talking as she changed in her bedroom. “He is actually Mandy’s boyfriend. I don’t know if you remember Mandy?”

“I do. She was the one who told me where to find you when she found me wandering outside your flat” Harry said as he looked around.

Her flat was exactly as he had pictured it. Very Lou… that was the only way he could describe it. Subtle colors on the walls. Decorated tastefully with things he had seen around her house when they were smaller. There was a tiny library in one of the rooms. And there were pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. There were pictures of her family, pictures of him and William when they were kids. Pictures of their friends from back home and there was another bunch of pictures of people he didn’t know. Then his eye landed on a picture of Lou with a brown haired guy. They were smiling at each other with that look in their eyes.

“You are very lucky to actually find Mandy at her apartment. She rarely comes home” Louise said coming back out of her bedroom. She had changed into a dark pair of jeans and a blouse.

“Do you want another glass of water?” She asked as she grabbed her bag and keys.

“No thank you” He said.

“Then let’s get the party started” She said.

----

Zack place was a few blocks away from Louise. They made it there in just a couple of minutes. She could hear the music turning off and Mandy yelling “She is here”. Rolling her eyes she looked at Harry telling him to just ‘roll with it’. She slowly opened the door and the room erupted in a loud “SURPRISE”. She was a little surprised when she saw a lot more people in the apartment then she initially expected. She got paler when she realized what bringing Harry to such a party meant. Back home she never had to worry about him being a prince or any of it. They only surrounded themselves with people that already knew him since childhood. Obviously Albert and Richard, his personal officers were with them but still it was going to be awkward and just might get out of control.

Mandy seeing the worry lines on Louise’s face rushed to her side.

“I have already briefed everyone about our special guest here and confiscated everyone’s mobile phones. Just relax and enjoy your birthday”

“Mandy, you’re the best” Louise said as she hugged her friend.

“Happy Birthday, sweetie”

“Thank you”

“Here is the birthday girl” Josh said picking Louise in his arms, twirling her around. “Happy Birthday”

“Thanks Joshie” She squealed. “Let go of me I need to introduce you to someone” She said.

He dropped her on her feet lightly.

“Josh this is Harry”

“Hey man” Josh said extending his hand.

“Hello” Harry said shaking his hand.

The rest of the introductions were made soon after. Zack had made it his personal mission to keep Harry entertained as it was his home and he was the host. There were some 20 odd people in the apartment. There was a lot of booze, an impromptu dance floor and a karaoke machine. Everybody seemed to be having a good time.

Harry was chatting with Zack who refuse to leave his side but his eyes were on Louise as she talked and laughed with her friends. It seemed surreal to see Louise being this friendly and close to a bunch of people he didn’t know. They always had the same group of friends. They always went to the same parties and yet here he was now celebrating Louise’s birthday surrounded with unknown people.
Excusing himself Harry went to Louise with a glass of vodka and coke. She smiled and took the drink from him.

“I hope you’re enjoying the party. I am sorry about some of the fan girls” Louise said sipping her drink.

“It’s alright. That’s what I get for crashing your party” He said.

“Holly is having a meltdown for being in the same room as you” Louise said giggling.

“Which one is Holly again?” Harry asked.

“The one in the silver dress” Louise said pointing.

“Ah!”

“I can see her blushing from way over here” Louise said shaking her head.

“I have that effect on people” He said with a cheeky grin.

“Very modest of you” She said shoving him. “Hey where is your drink? We were suppose to get sloshed together”

“No, I promised to get you sloshed” He said.

“That’s not going to work for me. I will get you one” She said walked towards the bar that was setup
not far from them. She leaned over the table to grab him a beer bottle when a guy wrapped his arms
around her and kissed her on her exposed shoulder.

“Happy Birthday” He whispered in her ear.

“Max! What took you so long? How did the interview went?” She said turning around.

“It went brilliantly. I went home saw Junior was still there. Thank god Colton was not back. So I went
to drop him to your apartment”

“I am so sorry. I totally forgot to pick him up” She said feeling guilty.

“It’s okay. Can I get a kiss from the birthday girl?” He said leaning in.

Harry witnessed the whole exchange and it made his stomach churn. They were gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes. Max leaned in and kissed her on the lips. When they broke apart he whispered sweet nothings in her ear which made her cheeks turn pink. Harry had never seen Louise like this before not even with Jake. Their love for each other was evident. It was written in their smiles and seeped out of their eyes. Harry couldn’t look away. He should’ve felt happy for her but he didn’t. He felt something he couldn’t explain. A sort of longing crashed over him which was paralyzing. He looked away when he saw them heading his way.

Louise didn’t even think about being in the same room as Harry and Max before Max showed up and now she was freaking out. Not because she still had feelings for Harry. She didn’t. She really didn’t. Then why was she dreading introducing the two, she didn’t know. She saw Harry look away as they approached him.

“Harry, this is Max,” Louise hesitated. “My boyfriend”

Max extended his hand. “It’s really nice to finally meet you. I have heard a lot about you from Lulu here”

Lulu really that’s what he calls her.

“Nice to meet you too” Harry said not really meaning it.

The rest of the night Harry observed those two closely. It killed him inside just a little bit to see the same looks Louise use to give him was directed towards Max. They way she dragged him to the dance floor was the same way she use to drag him not to long ago. He hated it. He hated not being the person that made her smile like that. He hated not being at the receiving end of her affections.

----

“She kicked him in the balls when he stole her juice box and we were just seven at the time” Harry said.

“NO!” Amber said in horror.

Harry and Louise were surrounded by Louise’s friends as Harry told them stories about their childhood.

“He is exaggerating” Louise chimed in.

“No, I am not. That was not the last time you kicked someone in the balls. Remember the time when you kicked poor Tom …”

“He was being a total prat at the time” Louise said in her defense.

“That doesn’t justify your actions” Harry said.

“It so does” Louise cried.

“How come I have never seen that side of you” Max remarked bring her hand he was holding to his
mouth planting a kiss on it.

“I don’t think you should wish for such a thing, mate” Harry said sipping his drink.

Max chuckled.

“I can’t get over the fact that Louise, our sweet Louise kicked someone in the balls” Zack in awe. “We should drink to that” He said raising the shot that lay in front of him. “To Louise and her kicking balls”

“Here here” Mandy said giggling.

Everyone drowned another shot. Mandy grabbed the lemon from Zack’s mouth and everyone made disgusted noises.

Mandy was an overly affectionate drunk.

“How did you two get together?” Harry asked. They seemed a bit of an odd pair.

“It was love at first site” Zack said putting his hands on his chest dramatically.

“Hardly” Mandy snorted. “I hated your guts”

“It took me sometime to woo her but not nearly as long as Max over here” Zack said.

“Oh god, I totally forgot about that. How long was that?” Amber asked.

“Hey! She was tough one to crack,” Max said. “But I got her now” He said squeezing her in his arms.

“That reminds me, you have to give me the name of the bastard that broke her heart, mate. I need to thank that asshole”

“Max” Louise said hitting his chest shaking her head, going pink.

Harry looked at her then back at Max. He had no idea who Max was talking about. Jake? It had to be Jake. She didn’t dated anyone other than Jake.

“I need a smoke, anyone?” Josh said getting up.

“Aye aye” Zack said getting up as well.

“I could use one myself” Harry said.

Harry felt Louise glare but when he looked to meet her gaze she looked away.

“Oh shoot. I don’t have my lighter” Josh said checking his pockets.

“Nor do I” Zack said.

Harry just shook his head.

“Fuck!” Josh exclaimed.

“Come on, there are people on the terrace we can always get a light” Zack said.

Josh was still trying to light up the cigarette with a broken lighter when Max came out to the terrace.

“Here you go” Max said throwing lighter at Josh.

“Thanks man” Josh said.

“Don’t tell Louise” Max said firmly.

“Our lips are sealed” Zack said zipping his lips.

Max turn around to leave.

“Not joining us, mate?” Harry asked.

“He quit” Josh said lighting his cigarette. “You shouldn’t even be here. If Louise gets a whiff of this,
your ass my friend will be whipped” Josh said which made Zack laugh.

“Fuck you and fuck you” Max said to his friends.

“Louise made you quit?” Harry asked taking a drag.

“She didn’t make me do it. I just did it for her. You know how she feels about cigarettes with her
mother and all” Max said at which Harry nodded thinking back at so many fights and arguments they got into because of his smoking.

“She loathes it” Harry said.

“So I quit. It’s nasty habit anyway. I am glad I got rid it,” Max said looking at Louise from the window.

“It’s totally worth it” He said beaming.

Harry wanted to hate Max, but he couldn’t. Max was perfect. He was madly in love with his friend. Harry could see it in his eyes as he watched Louise singing on the karaoke with Mandy.

---

“I think that’s enough. I am cutting you off. You’re drunk” Max said grabbing Louise drink.

“You can’t. Harry had flown all this way to get me sloshed” She slurred.

It was three in the morning. Only the six friends, Harry and Harry’s security left at the scene. Amber and Holly were passed out on the couch. Zack and Mandy were making out in a corner.

“I can’t fucking believe it. I partied with a fucking prince” Josh bellowed. “You’re cool, man. I like you” Josh said patting Harry’s back.

“Thanks, I suppose” Harry said.

“Louise is drunk. Did I tell you how much I like drunken Louise” Mandy said yelled from the corner.

“Lightweight” Max said teasing Louise.

“Hey, it’s like her first time to get proper pissed” Mandy said.

“She did good. In fact, she did great” Josh said patting her head like she was a dog.

“Sod off” Louise said shoving his hand.

Josh laughed.

“We should be heading home” Max said. “You sure you don’t want me to come with you” He said leaning closer. “I was promised hot drunken sex” He whispers so that only she could hear him.

Harry body tensed when he heard Max. He wanted to punch a hole in a wall.

“I promise to make it up to you and don’t you worry about me, Harry will get me home. Now go, you have a long day tomorrow” She said.

“No more drinking” He said firmly before he kissed her head.

---

Harry and Louise stood outside Zack’s apartment building waiting for Richard to bring the car to take them home.

“I’m tired and I hate waiting” Louise yawned, stretching her arms above her head. “Can we just walk please” She said looking at Harry with puppy dog eyes.

Harry draped his arms around her back to hold her steady. Louise buried her face into his shirt as they walked. She leaned in her weight on him as he guided her down the road. The air is chilly and she shivered against him.

“Why are you not wearing a jacket?” He asks rubbing his hand up and down her arm.

She shrugged as she stumbled over the curb and he caught her with his arm. Her eyes were barely open and she kept on stumbling.

Harry finally gave up and stopped in the middle of the sidewalk.

She blinked up at him. “What’s wrong?”

Harry letting go of her and spoke slowly and softly “I am going to pick you up and carry you back to your flat. Is that okay?”

She eyed him biting her lip and then looked up at his face “Okay”

He stepped closer to her “Put your arms around my neck”

She obeyed, sliding her hands up his chest and hooking them around his neck. She rested her head against his chest as he wrapped his arm around her back. Bending his knees, putting his other arm underneath her legs he scooped her in his arms. She nuzzled her face into his chest as he start up the sidewalk. He took his time because he loved the feeling of her being so close to him, the way she needed him, the way he needed to protect her.

By the time they reached her building, he felt a sense of panic of letting her go by putting her down.

“Lou, where are you keys?” He asked after he carried her up the stairs.

“In my pocket” She murmured, reaching for it but her arm fell slacked to her side. “Fuck” she muttered as she tried again and failed.

Shaking his head, he braced her against his chest and slipped his fingers into her pocket, quickly pulling the keys out.

“Lou, I have to set you down while I get the door open” He whispered in her ear.

She nodded and he carefully lowered her feet to the ground. She leaned back against the wall, her eyelids closing. He turns the key into the lock and the door unlocked. Flipping the lights on, he stepped back and picked her up, carrying her inside. He took her straight to the kitchen for water. He placed her on the counter and she blinked at him.

“You can just keep carrying me. It’s very relaxing” She said with a smile.

“Let’s get you some water first” He said as he took out a water bottle from the refrigerator.

“I am really thirsty” She said nodding her head up and down.

Louise moved the bottle towards mouth. She tipped her head back and gulped it down in one go. Then she moved the bottle away from her mouth and licked the water off her lips. Harry just stood there looking at her, staring at her lips. He shook his head when she hopped off the counter. He came closer to help her but she stopped him.

“I am better” She said stumbling her way to her bedroom.

Harry followed her.

“I am going to get changed. There is a spare loo in the other room you can use” Louise said before locking herself in the loo.

After washing his face and getting some water for himself, Harry came back to bedroom to find Louise sitting on her bed with her knees pressed against her chest and her chin resting on it. She was wearing a camisole and a night shorts. Her hair was in a messy bun.

“Look who I found” Harry said carrying the white fur ball.

“My baby” Louise said stretching her arms for her dog.

Junior yelped jumping from Harry’s arms into Louise’s.

“I missed you too baby” She tells Junior as he licked her.

Harry flopped next to her on the bed, watching her playing with the dog. She was talking in cute silly voice. She looked up when she felt his eyes on her and let go of Junior who then jumped off the bed and curled up next to Louise’s furry slippers.

Harry opened his mouth to say something then thought otherwise and closed it.

“What?” She asked. “What’s on your mind?”

Harry took a deep breath contemplating what he was about to say. “I didn’t even know you had a dog” Harry said shaking his head slightly. “There is so much about you I don’t even know. Tonight, being here, seeing you with your friends I got this sense that I don’t know you anymore. You have this whole another life with these new people and I am still there doing the same thing. Going out every night with same people”

He looked at her and she just blinked back at him. He thought she was too far gone to have this conversation.

“At least tell me what his name is?” Harry asked looking at the dog sleeping on Louise’s furry slippers.

“His name is Junior. Harry Junior” She said weakly.

Harry laughed. “You named your dog after me. Is that because I remind you of a dog?”

“No, I named him after you because I was missing a best friend” Louise said.

Harry got quite.

“Lou, I need to apologize to you properly….”

“No” She said firmly.

“No?”

“No, I don’t want your apology” She said. “I… what do you want to know?” She asked. When she saw Harry looking confused, she continued. “You said you feel you don’t know me. What do you want to know?”

“Do you love him? Do you love Max” He didn’t knew why that was the first question he asked but he felt it was the most important one.

“Yes” She said without hesitation.

“How long have you two been together?”

“Almost two years”

“Does he treat you right?”

“Yes, he treats me wonderfully”

Harry stopped.

“Why didn’t you tell me about him? Why did I have to hear about him from William?”

This time she hesitated. “I didn’t wanted to tell you”

“Why?”

“Harry” She said burying her head in her hands.

“What?” He said getting closer to her. “Talk to me Lou” He said placing his hand on her knee.

She shook her head, telling him to stop. He knew she was crying and he hated himself for it.

Louise didn’t want to cry. Especially not in front of Harry, but with so much alcohol in her system she was becoming an emotional wreck.

“I am sorry, Lou. Please don’t cry” He said putting his arm around her and she leaned in tucking herself under his chin. He hadn’t seen her cry since she was twelve and now seeing her like this was breaking his heart.

She buried her head in his chest, letting the tears flow. “I don’t know what you want from me Harry? I did what you asked me to do. You told me to get the fuck out of your life. I have been trying to do just that. I don’t want to be the same nagging pushy person I was before. I know you hated that about me. That’s why I try to keep my mouth shut now. I try to keep a filter when I am around you” She mumbled in his chest.

If his heart wasn’t already broken, her words just tore it to tiny little pieces.

“Look at me. Please look at me Lou” He said holding her face in his palms forcing her to look up at him.
“I never meant it. I never meant any of those words and I sure as hell never meant to push you away. I was a fucking wanker to have said those things to you. I have been miserable without you, completely lost. Nothing has been the same without you. Jokes don’t seem to be funny anymore if I don’t have you to share them with. Going out having fun doesn’t seem the same either because you are not there with me. Whatever I do, wherever I go all I think about what you would say if you would be here with me. I am sorry if I ever made you feel that you needed to change because of me. You are perfect the way you are” He said putting his head next to hers.

“You were right about me, you know. You were right about everything. My mother wouldn’t have been proud of the person I was back then. She would have hated my guts for being such a plonker. I needed to hear those things. I needed to get my shit together and I have. At least I have tried to, Lou. I have tried it for her and I have tried it for you” He said wiping tears off her face.

“For me?”

“Yes for you. You are the single most important person in my life, Lou and I miss you. I miss you all the fucking time. I miss that nagging, pushy, mental, infuriating, loving, caring, wonderful, kind, funny and special friend of mine. I miss talking to you. I miss your scoldings. I miss you worrying about me. I miss how you always put in my place. I miss you taking care of me. I miss taking care of you. I miss you rolling your eyes at me,” He said giving her a half a smile. “I miss your weird sense of humor. I miss everything about you even your guffaw”

She smacked him with a small smile playing on her face.

“You do have a very loud laugh”

“I do not”

“Yes, you do and I love that about you” He said taking her in his arms again. They stayed like that for some time, holding each other, comfortable in each other’s silence.

“Everything?” She asked in a small voice.

“Everything” He reiterated with a smile.

“Even the way I make fun of you for being a ginger?”

“Yes”

“Even when I don’t share Kit Kats with you?”

“Even then”

“Even me abusing you in front of everyone?”

“Mmm-Hmmm”

“Even me kicking you in the shin when I am angry?”

“Well, that not so much” He said grinning down at her.

He felt her delicate fingers grazing his neck lightly. He looked down to see she was holding his necklace in her hand.

“You still have this?” She asked.

“You still have yours” He said pointing his chin to a similar necklace she was wearing.

“I don’t wear it that often. I just put it on today for some reason” She paused still holding his necklace.
“Didn’t we buy it in Bali? I remember you absolutely hating it back then” She said.

“And you forced me to wear it for the entire vacation” He said.

“I didn’t force you. You lost a bet”

“Well, I like it now”

“How often do you wear it?” She said playing with it.

“Been wearing it for a year now” He said. He didn’t want to confess that he started wearing it because it reminded him of her.

“Really?” She asked.

“Hmmm” He said closing his eyes.

They stayed in each other’s arms slowly drifting to sleep.

“I miss you too” She said in his chest after sometime.

Harry opened his eyes. “You do?” He asked softly.

“I do. I miss talking to you. Not talking to you is exhausting”

“Then let’s never do that again”

“What?”

“Not talk”

“That sounds like a good plan” She said with a little yawn getting closer to him, tucking her hands under her cheek over his chest and curling her knees.

“Remember when we use to go camping as kids? At night it used to get so cold and you would sneak in my tent and we would snuggle under the blanket coz it felt warmer together then sleeping separately” Harry asked while his hands played with her soft hair.

Louise nodded in his chest.

“I want you to forgive me, Lou. I can’t do this. Living with the knowledge that you just might hate me, walking on eggshells so that I don’t offend you somehow. We have always been together and we have always been friends. I know I did you wrong and there are times you don’t even want to be in the same room with me but I am still the same boy you got under the blanket with and you are still the girl that kept me warm. So, you have to forgive me”

“I already have” She said in a whisper closing her eyes.

“You sure? Because I am ready to do this every day till you do” He said burying his head in her hair, inhaling her scent.

“I am sure” She said. He could feel her smiling in his chest.

He reached out and smoothing her hair back from her forehead. “Sleep” He ordered her.

She nodded her head and seconds later, the sound of her soft breathing surrounded him. Without even thinking he leaned over and gently kissed her forehead. Feeling like the burden had been lifted off his shoulders. First time in a long time he slept with a smile on his face as Louise lay wrapped around him like a blanket.
♠ ♠ ♠
Birthday Outfiit
Night Outfit

Soundtrack - Buckcherry - Sorry

Phew! This is the longest chapter i have ever written. These two characters have a way of getting me all worked up and I did promise you some Harry and Lou alone time. I wanted them to move forward and it had to happen. I tried breaking it up in two small chapters but that was just not working. So, I am sorry if its too much at one go. I really hope you like it. Do let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the continued support. I really love hearing from you all.

List of Awesome!

welovejbhmt

Lucy579

BrookieCookie490

Hawkchick85

mebg

Overflowing Ashtray