Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 22

When Louise opened her eyes her skull felt like it’s cracked and her brain was throbbing. She sat on the bed going through all that happened last night. She remembered getting drunk with her friends and having fun at her party. She remembered coming back to her flat with Harry carrying her. She remembered her talk with Harry and then sleeping in his arms but now the bed was empty.

Her door squeaked as Harry entered the room holding two cups of tea. He was wearing the same clothes he wore yesterday. He did a double take when he saw Louise was awake.

“I thought you were going to sleep all day”

Sunlight flickered through the window as Louise glanced at the clock on the wall above her bed.

“Shit. It’s almost evening” She said rubbing her eyes.

He handed her the tea and she gladly took it.

“Max called three times. I told him you’re sleeping off your hangover”

Louise nodded taking a swallow of tea which tasted like heaven.

“God, my head hurts so badly” Louise said.

“That usually happens when you drink too much” Harry said with a cheeky grin.

“You should know” She said nudging him.

He chuckled.

“Thanks for carrying me last night. I was a bit of a mess” She said.

“No problem” He said. “I am glad we got to talk last night” He said dreading the possibility that she might not remember their conversation last night because of her drunken state.

“What talk?” She said taking another shallow.

The color drained from Harry’s face.

“I am just kidding. You don’t have to look so mortified” She said laughing lighting.

“You just gave me a near heart attack” He said.

“I smell like death. I should probably take a shower and then try to eat something. Although, I feel like puking my guts out” She said pulling the blanket off her body and sliding her feet over the edge of the bed.

Harry placed a hand over her leg, enfolding his fingers around her knee. “You should take some aspirin first”

“It’s in the drawer next to you” She said getting to her feet and stretching her arms.

Harry opened the drawer and looked around cringing when he saw condom packets lying in there. He found aspirin and handed it to Louise, closing the drawer quickly. She took it and swallowed the pill with the remaining tea.

“I am starving so you better hurry up” He said getting up.

She felt a sudden urge to hug him but she somehow stopped herself.

“I’ll make it quick” She said as she headed towards the bathroom door but paused before turning the knob. “Harry, thank you for taking care of me last night”

“It’s not that big of a deal” He hesitated. “I owe you a lot more nights of that before we’ll ever be even”

“Harry” She said in a softer voice this time.

“Hmmm”

“I am glad you came”

Harry smiled “I am glad I came too”

----

The pair ordered Chinese take away and then sat in front of television enjoying their food. Both were not interested in one of many sitcoms’ that played on the telly. They were far too busy catching up. Conversation was easy and they talked like they haven’t talked in years. It was effortless like a second nature. It seemed almost natural. They were friends again. The awkwardness of the past few years evaporated as soon as Louise opened her heart and forgave him. And once she did that Harry started to feel less guilty about everything that happened between them. They were finally talking, not superficially but really talking like old times. Harry told Louise stories about his training days and all that he had to endure in his Afghanistan tour while Louise told him about her life at school and in California. Louise was telling him about her Friday gigs at the café.

“I saw you yesterday, you know. I was amazed by how good you have gotten” Harry said taking another bite of her noodles while his plate of fried rice still stayed untouched.

“You did?” She asked.

“I was sitting in corner while you played. It took me a few moments to realize it was really you singing”

Louise blushed.

Louise swatted Harry’s hand as it went for her noodles again.

“Eat your own food” She said firmly.

“But yours is better” He cried.

“You haven’t even touched yours”

“Mine looks like shit” He said.

“You will never change, always after my food bloody swine” She said giving him her plate which he took gladly. Just like the old days.

Her phone rang in the other room and she rushed to get it.

“Hello”

“Where the hell have you been? I have been worried sick. You didn’t even call me last night. You promised to call as soon as you reached your flat. I haven’t heard from you since morning” Max said on the other end.

She immediately felt guilty. “I am sorry. I am just recovering from this massive hangover”

He sighed “I will get you some soup. You must be starving”

“That’s alright. We just ordered some Chinese”

There was a long pause.

“He is still there?” He asked.

“Yeah, he is staying for the weekend” She said biting her lip now. She could sense how this was going
to be a problem.

“In your flat? Doesn’t he have a hotel to go to?” He asked and she swears she could hear some irritation in his voice.

“He is here to see me; it makes more sense if he stays here”

“I suppose it does” Louise could hear Max taking a breath on the other side. “You never told me he was going to stay the night. Imagine my surprise when he picks up your phone in the morning”

“I thought… We were drunk. It didn’t seem right to kick him out”

“He was not that drunk. If he would have been I would have never left you alone with him”

“What are you saying?” Louise asked confused.

“Nothing, I was just surprised”

“You should still come over. I miss you” She said trying to change the topic.

“Okay”

“I love you. See you soon” She said.

“Love you too”

----

The rest of the weekend went in a blur. Louise was so excited to show Harry around. She wanted to take him to all her favorite places but that couldn’t happen, they didn’t want to risk someone recognizing him. So, they stayed in her flat. They talked about everything and anything. They had so much to talk about. They got into silly arguments regarding their favorite football teams. They cooked. They snuggled on the couch and watched old musicals that she loved and he tolerated for her sake. They only time they left the flat was to walk Junior. Harry would put on his baseball cap and sunglasses with Albert and Richard few steps behind them. It should feel crazy but it didn’t. Louise had seen it all, so this was nothing new to her. Their time together was nothing special but it felt that way to the both of them.

The only thing that put a damper on the weekend was Max. At least that’s how Harry felt. He liked the guy, he honestly did but he just wanted to spend these two days with Louise without something sucking her face every two seconds.

It was Harry’s last day. He was set to leave after dinner. The three sat on the table playing around with their food. No one was in the mood to eat. Louise kept glancing back and forth between Harry and Max. The tension was unbearable. Both of them were giving each other the stink eye.

Louise was surprised by how Max was reacting to the whole Harry situation. Max had never been the jealous types. She had been hit on by other people since they started dating and he always acted cool but for some reason Harry’s presence was pushing his buttons and Louise didn’t knew why.

“Louise tells me you are going to be an architect” Harry said trying to end the awkward silence.

“He is graduating later this month at the top of his class. He is currently interning with Gensler. It’s one of the best architecture firms in the world. They even interviewed him for a full time position” Louise said bragging about her boyfriend.

Max smiled at her praise. He took her hand and kissed her palm.

“That’s great” Harry said.

“Thanks” Max said with a tight smile.

“I think it’s time” Harry said getting up from his chair. Albert had already taken his luggage an hour ago.

“I will walk you out” Louise said getting up. “I will be right back” Louise said closing the door behind
her without waiting for Max’s reply.

They took the stairs in silence, both dreading the looming separation. The silence continued as they waited for the car outside her apartment building. As Richard pulled the car over, Harry turned to face Louise. She looked beautiful as her long wavy locks touched her shoulders, wearing a maxi dress and flip flops with her now signature glasses.

“I guess this is goodbye then” Harry said shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Ring me once ya land” Louise said leaning in for a hug.

Harry took her in his arms. His chest pained with the thought of going back without her. He knew things were different now but his heart still ached. He didn’t want to go without her. The last few years were enough separation for a life time and now that he had her back he was not willing to let her go.

“Come with me. Come home” He whispered in her ear. He knew he sounded ridicules but he couldn’t stop himself.

“I can’t. I still have a year to finish here” She said still holding him with the same intensity.

“Is it insane if I say I don’t want to go without you?”

“No, it’s not insane but it isn’t practical”

“Who gives a fuck about practicality?” He said.

“For what it’s worth I will miss you too” She said knowing what he was trying to say.

He leaned back to look at her. Her eyes gleamed as tears formed in her beautiful brown eyes. She sniffed to stop them from spilling out.

“We are being silly. It’s not like we are not going to talk. We will be talking all the time. I will be coming out for your birthday next month” She said.

“It won’t be the same” He said caressing her cheek with his palm and involuntarily she leaned in his touch.

Harry took her in as she stood there looking at him and then she pulled him into another hug. Her arms were cold from standing outside without a jacket but hugging her freezing skin didn’t bother Harry. He could feel the warmth that radiated from her. His stomach twisted as he smelled her hair. Daises

His chest was going crazy for some reason. He was noticing everything about the person he was holding. The curves along her sides, her eyelashes batting against his shirt, the fact that she was holding her breath, but he stood their sucking her scent like it was the last thing he’ll ever smell. Something happened inside Harry in that moment. He had always loved her hugs. They always made him feel better but this time it felt different. This hug was…

Amazing

Incredible

Confusing

He was sure she felt it too because before he could warp his head around what he was feeling she pushed away from him, leaving a wide space between them.

“Uh, thanks for letting me crash” He said awkwardly.

“Thanks for coming” She said, her red cheeks matching his.

----

Even after being back home Harry couldn’t stop thinking about that damn hug. He knew his emotions were high at the time but he had said goodbye to people before. In their many years of dating, Harry had said goodbye to Chelsy a ton of times but nothing has ever gave him feeling like what he felt for Lou at that moment.

How could he get so much from a hug? A gesture he had done so many times that he couldn’t count even if he wanted to. But here he was and he couldn’t stop thinking about it.

And he knew Louise felt something too. The way she pulled away from him like he bit her or something. They were friends. Best of friends from the time they didn’t even knew what it meant and entails. They couldn’t be any more than that or could they? He was with Chelsy and Louise sure seemed to be in love with Max but Harry couldn’t deny that he thought about Louise more than he ever thought about Chelsy. Heck he thought about her more than anybody or anything.

He slammed his head back into his pillows, toying with his phone in hand. He have been arguing with himself majority of the night. Call Louise? Or leave it alone? Send a text?

His stomach hasn’t untwisted since he held her. Maybe talking to her will solve the issue. She always had answer for everything.

In the end, he decided to call her. They phone rang and rang but she didn’t answer. He looked at the time it was 3 am here which meant it was late evening in America. She must be out with Max or something. His stomach twisted again at the thought of them snogging or worse. He groaned and pulled his pillow over his head. He wasn’t sure what the hell was wrong with him.

Louise and Max were having a night in when Louise’s phone rang. Seeing Harry’s name on the screen, she put her ringer off not wanting to ruin the moment. Thinking she will call him back in the morning. Max caught her putting her phone aside.

“Who was that?” He said giving her the popcorn bowl fresh out of microwave.

She contemplated lying to him but then thought otherwise. “Harry” She said shoving handful popcorn in her mouth.

Max expression changed and he looked irritated. Louise pretended to not have noticed his reaction and kept looking at the screen ahead watching the movie but it was evident that the mood was ruined. Putting the bowl down Louise rested her head on Max’s shoulder, waiting for him to say something.

“You are spending too much time with him and frankly I don’t like it”

“He is my oldest friend, Max” She said playing with the button of his shirt. “He means a lot to me. You know that. He and William are like family”

“If he means this much to you then where was he for the past three years?”

“I told you we were sorting something out. Please, don’t be upset”

“I can’t help it, Lulu. I don’t like the way he looks at you, the way his eyes are always following you around. I was okay with him coming out for your birthday. That was very nice of him and all but I didn’t like him spending three days alone with my girlfriend in her flat and before you say something… I don’t like you talking to him on the phone or skyping him at odd hours of the night”

“Max, I don’t understand why is this bothering you so much? Josh stayed with me alone for weeks when he was looking for an apartment. Me and Zack…”

“This is different, Lulu” Max said cutting her off. “You and him… when you are together… You seem so attune with each other. You finish each other’s sentences. You two look more like a couple than you and me. God, I sound pathetic don’t I?” Max said shaking his head.

“No you don’t. You have nothing to worry about. Harry and I have known each other since we were toddlers. We have known each other for too long and that’s the only reason we might come across like a couple. I can assure you nothing has ever happened between us and it’s not even worth talking about because I am with you and I love you” She said pecking his lips.

“I love you too” He said kissing her back.

Later that night Louise was dead asleep when her phone vibrated on the bedside table, she was so knocked out that it took several rings for her to even wake up. When she did, she scrambled out of bed, fumbled around for the phone and finally clicked the talk button in the process nearly killing her lamp.

“Hello?” She muttered and slowly sinking back into the bed. She glanced at the time – 1:00 am, a sigh escapes from her mouth.

“This better be important” She muttered to herself.

“Lou” Harry said.

Louise collapsed back onto her pillow “That’s my name”

“It is?”

“And you’re calling this early in the morning…why?”

“Firstly let me correct you, it’s not that early here. Secondly, you never called me back and thirdly because I felt like it” Harry said simply.

“You woke me because you felt like it?”

“I did”

She shook her head, closing her eyes and sinking back into the covers. She switched the phone to speaker and placed it on her chest, so that she could lean back and talk.

“Harry, you’re amazing and all but do you actually have something important to say? I’ve had a very long night and I have class early tomorrow believe or not I like to sleep…”

“You missed good looking” Harry said cutting her. “You said amazing. I am also very good looking some even call me a sexy beast”

“Are you drunk?” She said rolling her eyes though she knew he could not see her.

She yawned loudly and she was sure she was going to fall back asleep any second now.

“Harry” She muttered, rolling over onto her stomach. Her eyelids grew heavier, and the reminder that she had to wake up for school in a few hours seemed to make her even more exhausted “I am going to bed. I’ll talk to you when I wake up”

Harry didn’t respond after that and Louise vaguely wondered if he was just calling to annoy her or something else. She didn’t let the thought continue. Right now, she just needed sleep. With that, she sat up and started to turn off her phone.

“Wait” Harry said suddenly, and she could hear muffled cursing on his end of the phone like he was already regretting it.

“Yes?”

He paused, taking a deep breath.

“That’s not… the reason I’ m calling”

“Then what is?” She didn’t mean it to come across so rude, but she was too tired to think anything but
sleep.

His voice was quiet now, slow and easy. “You really want to know?”

“Sure”

He hesitated and she could make out his muffled breathing as he contemplated whether whatever he was about to say will be worth it.

“Lou” He said and she could practically picture him sitting next to her. Her side pressed to his, touching her arm and whispering into her ear. This gave her goose bumps.

“Lou” He said more softly this time. “I’m calling you at eight in the morning on a Thursday because I wanted to hear your voice”

That woke her up. In an instant, all of her exhaustion seems of rush out of her. She sat up pressing the phone closer to her ear. Her heart pounding now, she felt something inside, the same feeling she felt when they hugged when they said their goodbyes a few days ago.

She shook her head. He should not have this kind of effect on me. He cannot have that kind of effect on me. But the thing was, his words were having that kind of effect on her. So much so that it was scaring her.

“I have been lying in my bed for the entire night because I couldn’t sleep, and thinking about how I missed you and then I wanted to hear your voice” Harry continued. “So I called you”

Now her body really tightens. “You were thinking about me in bed?” She said in confusion.

“Not in that way” He said with an awkward chuckle.

“Oh, shut up. It was totally meant that way” She said smiling now.

“You flatter yourself” He said half amused.

“Liar”

“I can feel you smirking through the phone”

“I am not”

“You always were a terrible liar”

“I am not”

“You so are, you ninny”

“Did you just call me a ninny?”

“Oh, yes Louise Tomlinson I did”

She sat up a little straighter now. “I have just lost all respect for you”

He laughed and she swears she could feel him smiling through the phone. “Lies. Lies. All of them”

“Sure” She mumbled. “I…I guess I miss your voice too”

“Oh thank you for saying that”

“You made me. You know where I live. You could murder me. I wouldn’t be surprised, either. Serial killers are always red heads”

“And rapists are always brunettes” He replied quickly.

She scoffed “Like you have to worry about me raping you”

“More like straight-up afraid of you raping me”

“Oh yeah, at six inches shorter that you I’m utterly terrifying”

“Oh you are. I am afraid of you pouncing on me”

Louise cracked up. “Pounce on you!? Oh my god what even goes on in your head?”

“An unending party”

“Of shit”

“I believe it is pronounced awesome”

“You’re wrong”

“Oh yeah… your face”

“Is gorgeous”

“No”

“Yes”

“Maybe”

Louise sighs at that and Harry could almost detect the happy smile behind it, which made him smile even more. He realized again how good it felt to talk to her again – like normal friends. To smile and not worry about offending each other, about drifting apart, about their friendship falling to pieces. Somehow, talking to Lou always seemed to boost his mood even when he hadn’t got an ounce of sleep all night.

Louise’s eyelids starts to feel heavy again and she realized once again that she needs to sleep. But a much larger part of her wanted to keep talking to Harry, because sitting here alone in darkness and hearing his voice felt good. Too good to be true.

She yawned again.

“You should probably go to sleep now” Harry said.

“You think?” She said smiling.

“Yes, I Prince Henry of Wales now gives you permission to sleep”

“Thank you royal highness”

“Good night, Lou. Have sweet dreams”

“I want to say the same but its morning there already. So thank you, I will”

“Bye”

“Bye” She said.

Harry waited till she hung up and then sighed a heavy sigh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Louise Outfit

Soundtrack - The Killers - Here With Me

Sorry everyone for taking this long to update. My work has been kicking my ass for the past few weeks and I haven't gotten much time to write but I promise you I will not be abandoning this story even if the updates might be slow at times. Please bare with me. Because without you the readers I would have no motivation to write it.
Thank you everyone who continue to support this story. YOU ARE AMAZING!!
I hope you like the latest developments. Let me know your thoughts.

List of Awesome!


Laydekatrina

Lucy579

SmileLoudly

BrookieCookie490

musical87

lovelykitty

mebg