Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 28

Harry’s excitement was finally rubbing off on Louise. She was now really psyched about going to South Africa with the famous Princes. With her packing done Louise updated her iPod’s music library for the plane ride. She got dressed in her comfortable jeans and sweater. She was meeting Harry and William at the airport. She was riding with Richard to the airport. When they pulled up to the drop-off point, there was a huge area blocked off by a police escort. She could see Harry and William standing at the curb, smiling and chatting with a few people airport employees. When Harry saw the car pull up, he excused himself and came over to the car. Louise put on a small smile and let him help her out of the car.

“Ready?” His asked studying her face and she wondered what he saw there.

She was a giant ball of emotions and wasn’t even sure herself what exactly she felt at the moment. She was obviously sad with how things been going with her family, but there was also a thread of excitement. Still in denial about whatever that was going on between her and Harry even though ever since Warren’s party they were conscious of each other presence, even more now than before. Louise actually felt shy and blushed when he touched her and as much as they tried to refuse to believe it, something was bubbling under.

“Think so” She said slinging her bag.

Richard tried taking her bag but she shooed him away. Harry frowned as he realized there were photographers in the distance trying to take their pictures. She followed his line of vision and cursed under her breath.

“Forget those assholes. Smile at least a little, okay?” Louise said smiling widely showing off her pearly whites.

Harry had to smile when she was being so adorable.

“That’s my man” A blush crept up automatically when she realized what she had just said. Harry seemed to catch her response because his smile widened.

William was speaking to Jack and Karen near the door. He gave Louise a smile. Moments later Jack, William and William security boarded the first plane while Harry, Louise, Karen and Harry’s security made their way to the second plane. Louise knew the boys always flies on different planes. Just in case something bad happens.

At the plane, Harry made sure Louise entered first. She was followed by Harry then Karen and then the rest of the security. There was a spacious feel to the plane.

“Good morning” A woman smiled at Louise and motioned her to move to the center of the plane.

“Morning” Louise said looking around at the seats. She decided on one of the large seats next to a window. Harry nodded to the woman at the door before taking the seat across from Louise, a small table separating them.

As the plane took off Harry busied himself with the papers Karen gave him. Louise put on her iPod and opened her e-reader. After a while Louise pulled my headset off and set down her e-reader. Karen was standing next to her seat. Louise gave her a confused look as Karen handed her a binder.

“What is it?” Louise asked.

“It’s the itinerary for the next six days. I would like you to be familiar with it as much as the princes, so that there are no… accidents” Karen said in chipped voice.

“Okay” Louise said wearily.

“Good” She said and walked down the aisle and took her seat.

Louise watched her go and then looked at Harry who was wearing an amused smile.

“I don’t think she likes me very much” Louise said flipping the binder.

“If it makes you feel any better I don’t think she likes me any better” Harry whispered which made Louise smile.

Louise took some time going through the itinerary reading about everywhere they were supposed to go. It made a lot of sense now why Harry had asked her pack some dresses. There was a charity ball, a garden party and a dinner.

“You look horrified. It’s not going to be that crazy I promise. I’ll take care of you” Harry said the last part quietly.

“I am not worried. I am just wrapping my head around this” She said slightly raising the binder. “You two do these kinds of tours pretty often. I didn’t really thought they would entail so much”
Harry opened his mouth but was interrupted by the stewardess.

A twelve hour flight went pretty fast for them in each others company. Before they knew it the pilot announced forty five minutes to landing. Harry excused himself and went to freshen up and change for the cameras which surely they both knew will be waiting for him once they land.

“We don’t have much time. You should change as well” Karen said to Louise nodding towards the little curtained area.

“Why? What’s wrong with my clothes?” Louise asked.

“World media will be waiting once we land. You’re the guest of the princes obviously you have to look presentable. It reflects on them. No offence, but I don’t think this ratty sweater of yours will do”

Louise went red with embarrassment. She hadn’t carried any clothes to change into. All she had was a jacket. “I… I don’t have…”

“Back off Karen” Harry said. “She doesn’t have to change. She isn’t a part of the tour. She is our guest and the press won’t bother her. I will make sure of that”

“But sir…”

“I said back off” He said. Louise could see anger in his eyes.

Karen must have seen it too because she nodded and turned around to return to her seat.

“And Karen, don’t ever use that tone with her again. Is that clear?” Harry said.

“Yes sir” Karen said.

Louise stayed silent as Harry took his seat. He was wearing a navy blue suit now, his fingers trying to adjust the tie around his neck.

“Here, let me do that” She offered leaning forward the little table.

Harry leaned as well. Her soft fingers brushed against his throat and he took in a sharp breath. She must have noticed it because she looked up and met his eyes. He held her gaze as her hands stayed frozen around his neck.

“Due to the weather it will take us additional twenty minutes to land” The pilot announced making them snap out of their trance.

“There you go” She said letting go of his tie.

“Thanks” He said.

They stayed silent for a few seconds. “I am sorry” They said at the same time and then laughed. Louise
signaled him to go first.

“I am sorry about Karen’s behavior. She takes her job a little too seriously”

“No, she is right. I should have kept it’s an official tour in mind. I just sometimes forget you are Prince Harry rather than just Harry”

Harry liked the sound of that. “I am ‘just harry’. I will always be just harry to you”

She gave him a weak smile but he could see something was bothering her.

“Already regretting coming along ehh?” Harry teased her.

“No, I… I should have worn a dress or something more suitable. I feel really stupid right now”

“Stop fussing, you look beautiful” He said giving her a slow smile, his cheeks going slightly red.

“Thanks” She said not meeting his eyes. She couldn’t actually believe it. He had never called her
beautiful before. He was probably just saying it so she would not fret about her attire.

Sensing her thoughts he put two fingers under her chin and lifted her head slowly. “I mean it. You are beautiful, Lou”

She lost her ability to talk when he looked at her like that. She didn’t think she was capable of forming words so she just nodded. He let go of her face and gave her a warm smile.

“You ready?” Harry said. “When we land, the authorities will board the plane to check passports and then we will be going straight to the camp”

“I read the itinerary, I know” Louise said giving him a playful smile.

“I would suspect there will be a bit of a fanfare. Some dignitaries will be there to receive us. There will be a great deal of media no matter what” She caught the undertone agitation in my voice.

She nodded. They lapsed into silence as we waited to land. Louise pulled my feet up into my seat and leaned on the wall to try to see better. It was late in the day and the sun made the clouds glow, they almost looked golden in color. It was beautiful.

The plane was taxied to an open area and Louise was shocked to see the amount of people. A red rug was rolled out to the plane and a line of cars pulled up. There was a sea of flashing cameras. The door to the plane was opened and an official in a suit stepped up to the entrance.

After all the formalities were taken care of, Harry got up and buttoned up his jacket. Louise’s anxiety sky rocketed. Even after Harry reassuring her, she was still conscious about her clothes. She was so nervous that she thought she just might puke.

“Bertie you stay with Louise. Escort her to the camp” Harry said it as the plane doors opened. “Don’t leave her sight till we reach the camp”

Bertie nodded.

“What about you? You need him more than I do? It’s crazy down there” Louise said.

“I will be fine. Richard is with me and there is William security as well. Don’t worry. Bertie will take you to the camp. It might take us sometime here; there seem to be a lot more people than I initially anticipated. I will see you at the camp” Harry said.

“Okay” She said as the anxiety kicked in again.

They could hear photographers shouting Williams name whose plane landed a few minutes before theirs.

“I promise to see you in a few” Harry said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

She nodded not taking her eyes off the windows. The media as well as the official dignitaries were hounding poor William.

“Trust me” He said quietly.

“I do” She said taking a deep breath.

Louise was rushed to the nearest Land Rover. The cold was beginning to bite as she boarded the vehicle for the short journey to the camp. They are in Botswana which was their first stop. William was a patron and Harry ambassador for the Tusk Trust, a UK-based African conservation charity. They reach the camp in no time which was setup by The Predator Conservation Trust. There were a series of canvas army tents. It’s was really a beautiful camp site in the middle of wilderness with nothing but nature all around. She instantly knew she is going to love her stay here. The people were warm and they ushered her towards her tent.

Thirty minutes at the camp, she was just exploring the place when the rest of the cars pulled up. There were a lot of people surrounding Harry and William so Louise kept her distance. She could see Bertie itching to be by Harry side and after seeing his reaction, for some rather entertaining moments she convinced him to go to Harry. She obviously couldn’t hear them from the distance but she saw Harry speaking to Bertie, a few words were exchanged and then his face looked for hers in the crowd, frowning.

Soon the sun went down and the stars came out. Everyone changed for dinner. It was cold but with the fire burning and candles all around, the place had a glowing warm effect. The camp tables were filled with local delicacies, which were as delicious as they looked.

Harry sat next to Louise as they ate at the camp tables with candles burning, under the stars. It was just perfect in so many ways. Their guide, Imamu was telling the table filled with people about the plans for the safari they were taking tomorrow morning but Harry and Louise was oblivious to that. They were leaning towards each other, knees almost touching, the smile between them as intense as the flame burning nearby. They could hear people talking and clinking of the glasses. Harry picked up his wine glass and raised it towards Louise, she did the same.

“To Africa” they said together, knowing exactly what the other was thinking. They smiled and then they tapped their glasses.

----

“I can’t believe you didn’t think it was important to inform me that you were going to South Africa! I am your boyfriend for god sakes”

Louise scratched her head as her boyfriend kept going on about how she had let him down on the other side. She silently cursed the mobile service provider for having such an exceptional service that her phone had full signal in the middle of nowhere.

They had been going on and on about the whole thing for the past forty minutes. Louise kept quiet and let Max do all the talking but he was not talking anymore, he was yelling which now had started to piss her off.

“You were suppose to be working on your research and not vacationing with him!” He said emphasizing on the word him. “Or was this always you’re plan and research was just a cover up?”
“First of all I am not on a vacation. Secondly, it’s them. I am here with them and not him and thirdly Max, are you accusing me of something? Because if you are, I want you to say it directly” Louise said losing her patience.

“Does this relationship even mean anything to you anymore, Lulu? Do I mean anything to you?”

“Of course you do! I don’t know why you can’t just understand…”

“I CAN’T UNDERSTAND! I bloody understood when you wanted to go London to work on your paper for three months and not come here. I didn’t like it but I understood when you moved in with him in his apartment that he shares with his brother, which in your own words and let me you quote you on this one ‘is so busy that he is not even here half the time’. I bloody well kept my mouth shut and didn’t even say a single word when my girlfriend pictures were splashed all over the world, feeding him, while you were lovingly looking in each other’s eyes but this…this right here is the last straw, Lulu. Maybe I don’t understand this. I can’t understand when my girlfriend leaves for another continent without even telling me. Not even a mention in any of our conversations”

Louise was surprised by the outburst. She knew Max was upset about most of these things but she didn’t know to this extent. This made her feel really shitty as she could hear hurt in his voice and he really didn’t deserve that.

“It was a last minute thing, Max. I didn’t hide this from you intentionally”

There was silence for a few seconds.

“I can’t do this anymore” Max said on the other line.

“Max, you don’t mean that. I am sorry. I know I fucked up just...don’t” Louise didn’t even know how to finish the sentence.

“We are not happy Louise; we haven’t been for awhile now. I think a little distance will do us some good. I clearly cannot compete with royalty”

“There is no competition, Max. I love you” She said her voice came out all choked up.

She heard a sad weak chuckle from him, she knew it was not to mock her but it still broke her heart “I am sure I love you more, Lulu. That’s why this fucking hurts so much”

----

Harry tent was next to Louise and he could hear her muffled voice for more than an hour. He guessed she would be talking to one of her brothers. Then she stopped talking and silence followed. He expected her to come to him like she use to when they were children. After sometime he heard her tent opening and he braced himself for her to enter his. He waited and then waited some more. After a point it was evident she was not coming and that worried him. Not bothering to cover himself in layers that were needed for the cold outside, he just grabbed his shoes and wrapped a thick blanket around his body. He went outside to find Louise sitting on one of the empty tables next to the fire with phone in her hand.

“Are you mental or do you have plans of freezing to death?” Harry said wrapping his blanket around her shoulders.

“Both” She said.

“Very funny” He said rubbing his hand over her arm. “Who was that?” He asked pointing his chin towards the phone.

“Max”

He nodded and didn’t say anything at first but as the silence stretched he finally asked “How is the boyfriend?”

She stayed quiet for a few seconds “Good, I guess. I think we just broke up though” She said without looking at him.

For a minute, they both just stared up at the stars together, with their thighs touching and not meeting each other’s gaze.

“I am sorry. Do you… do you want to talk about it?” He finally asked.

“No”

“Okay” He said shifting ever so slightly that his side pressed against hers.

A shock of warm electricity flowed through their bodies at the contact, and he could feel her muscles tensing up. But she didn’t move away. He could see her biting her lower lip but she continued to look straight ahead at the night sky.

“It’s beautiful here” She said.

“It is” He said looking at her.

Then, without thinking or even realizing he reached out and pushed her hair to the side so he could see more of her face. The smell of her shampoo hit him in the nose and he savored every second of it. She turned to face him and gave him a smile.

“Thanks for bringing me here. I think I really need this right now”

“Thanks for coming. I rather like having you around”

“Oh really?” She said quirking her eyebrow. “Isn’t there someone else that you would like to have around?” She said giving him a playful shoulder push.

He rolled his eyes “No”

“I don’t buy that. There must be someone you might have your eye on”

“You think?”

“Yes”

“Maybe you’re right” He said not really knowing what he was implying.

She shifted closer “Harry! Are you hiding out on me?”

He sighed, ignoring her question “It’s really freezing out here can we go inside?”

“I want to stay a little longer” She said.

“Alright, just a little bit longer” He said wrapping his arms around her.

They stayed silent watching the stars. They could hear roaring in the distance. Louise snuggled deeper into his arms and a soft satisfied sigh escaped from her lips.

“Harry, can I ask you something?” She said with her head still buried in his chest.

“Ask away”

“You never told me your thoughts about Dad’s and Lily or what happened between dad and me. I want to know what you think about it”

“It doesn’t matter what I think about it”

“It matters to me. Come on, tell me. Be honest” She said looking up at him.

“I think I am going to get in trouble if I say anything. Can I just pass?”

“No!” She said hitting him on the shoulder.

“Alright, alright. I think what you did was totally justified. If I would have been in your place I would have done the same thing or even worse”

“Worse” She said with a smile.

He nodded. “It’s hard to see your parent with someone else and your situation is further complicated
with Lily being your aunt. I think your dad could have dealt with it a little better. I don’t know Lou, I am not an expert”

“You don’t think I am being selfish or immature?”

“Not at all, you’re a little possessive of your family but that’s not a bad thing. It was just bad timing, I
guess. If they would have broke the news at the right time, in a right manner I believe everything would have gone a lot differently”

Louise let go of the breath she didn’t knew she was holding. She just needed someone to be one her side for once. Between her family and Max, it suddenly felt like she doesn’t have anyone anymore. She felt so alone. Harry was her only hope and if even he thought she was wrong, then she must be.

“If...” Harry started saying something then stopped.

“What?” She asked arching her eyebrow.

“Nothing”

“Say it” She said poking a finger in his chest.

He shook his head.

“Come out with it, Harry” She said poking him again.

“Don’t hate me okay. I have seen them together, Simon and Lily, at polo matches and such and they seem genuinely in love. I’ve never seen your dad this happy in years and he even looks a bit younger since they’ve been together”

“You bugger! You knew about them didn’t ya? We talked everyday and you never told me!” She said kicking him in the shin.

“Oye! Stop kicking me! I didn’t tell ya because…stop it!... it was not my place to tell” He said grabbing her leg.

“Let go of my leg”

“Only if you promise not to kick me again”

“Let it go!”

“Promise first”

“Fine, I won’t kick you, though you deserve a whole lot more than just a kick on the shins” She said.
He dropped her leg.

“Wanker” She said under her breath.

“You are not really mad are ya?” He asked unsure.

“Yes, I am mad” She said sending him a glare but then she notice the concern on his face and her anger evaporated “No, not really. It wasn’t your fault”

“Good, now let’s go inside”

----

It seemed like the night went by in the blink of an eye. One second Louise was snuggling next to Harry inside her tent and the next thing she knew someone was calling her name. She blinked her eyes and saw Karen head popping inside the tent. Her eyes travelled from Louise to Harry as she went red.
“I am sorry. I thought you were alone” She said.

“Morning Karen” Harry said as he stretched his arms.

Louise kept her mouth shut. She was horrified what Karen might be thinking of them. She wanted to bury her head back into the comforter and felt like disappearing completely.

“Miss Tomlinson,… Sir. Everyone is getting ready for the safari. I just came to wake you up” She said.

“Thank you. We will just be out”

“Sure, sir” and with that she disappeared.

Panic must be all over Louise face.

“You alright, there?” Harry asked.

“Yes…no…I am mean…shit. She must be thinking something is going on between you and me” Louise
said.

“Who cares? I am going to go and get ready. It’s going to be a long day. You are finally going to visit Lesotho” He said giving her a million dollar smile.

It was just after dawn when Louise came out of her tent; William was making coffee for everyone as people wrapped in their thick blankets were ready to track a pack of lions they’d heard roaring last night.

It almost felt like a dream to Louise. Here she was, half-asleep, searching for lions! Harry and William were goofing around, asking Imamu millions of question. For, them though, this was a break from the weirdness that followed them everywhere.

Sitting in the jeep as they travelled through the jungle, Harry kept cracking Louise up. He made her laugh so hard that at one point tears came out of her eyes.

William was sitting in front with Imamu behind the wheel. Harry and Louise at the back as they continued to laugh like bunch of idiots. Half the time they didn’t even know what they were laughing about.

“It’s so huge, I can see it from here” Harry said.

“Yes, lord its massive” Louise said playing along.

“Where? What?” William asked moving his head from one side to another trying to spot whatever they were talking about.

“It’s right there” Harry said.

“Where?” William asked again as he continued to scan the area.

“You can see it, Lou right?” Harry asked.

“Yes, I can’t possibly miss it” Louise said trying to suppress her giggles.

Knowing his brother, William finally gave up “What the fuck are you two talking about? And how come I can’t spot it”

“It’s right behind you, Wills” Harry said as Louise finally let out a giggle.

“What exactly are you talking about?” William asked irritated now.

“Your bald spot, obviously”

Louise and Harry burst out laughing, William just glared at them.

---

Harry and Louise were due in Lesotho, so after grabbing a quick breakfast of bacon and eggs, they turned back to drop they at the airstrip. William was joining them in Lesotho tomorrow.

Harry couldn’t stop himself from beaming at the mere thought of showing Louise the work he had done in Lesotho. Out of all the charities he had ever worked for, this was his baby, something he was extremely passionate about and he could not wait to share it with Louise.

“You excited?” Harry asked.

“Hugely” She said grinning back at him.

“Great, you’re going to love it”
♠ ♠ ♠
Travel Outfit
Camping Outfit
Safari Outfit

Soundtrack: Lifehouse - Easier To Be

Sorry for such a late update. I did try to make it sooner but it just didn't seem to happen. I can't promise the next one will be up soon but I am going to try my hardest.
The next chapter is going to be in Lesotho. I am really looking forward to writing that.
and yeah, Louise and Max just might have broken up!! How do you guys feel about that? do you think Max was right to do it?
Do share your thoughts. I love hearing from you all!

Wall of Awesome!


Jayme112234

Cupcake1

Hawkchick85

pumpidum

Amelia_W4

walesmissharry

musical87

mebg