Status: Comments and critique are much appreciated.

How Long?

Chapter 8

Louise sat on the private plane reading a book while Jake slept next to her. They were off to Balmoral for a long weekend with their friends. It really irritated her that someone could sleep in a less than two hour flight. She looked around. Kate and William were talking while making those goo-goo eyes at each other. Tom and Guy were in deep conversation while drinking champagne and then there was Harry and Chelsy. For once they were sitting like normal people without his tongue inside her throat.

In the past few months Louise has seen a lot of Harry but mostly on telly and in tabloids. He and Chelsy were everywhere. Football matches, night clubs, vacationing and even polo matches and wherever they were they attracted a slew of paparazzi who always capture them sucking each other’s face. It seemed like that it was impossible for them to keep their hands off each other. Louise had unfortunately witnessed it first hand when after Harry’s constantly pestering she went out for lunch with him and ‘Chels’. After canceling on them twice she finally ran out of excuses.

The lunch was dreadful. They were like horny teenagers, who kept groping each other. He was basically licking her face off while she always found an excuse to touch his bum. Louise was sure if she was not sitting in front of them they would have definitely tore each other clothes off, right there in public. Needless to say the lunch was very uncomfortable and awkward and Louise basically ran out of there without even getting to the dessert.

All of this was not only revolting to Louise; it was also very confusing for her because every time she saw them going at it she had a massive urge to smash Chelsy face into a wall. Which was odd, because whatever little time she had spent with her without Harry tongues involvement, she had found her pleasant rather nice. She was not like the socialites you meet in London. She was different and strangely normal.

When they hit a little turbulence Jake moved and placed his head on Louise shoulder. Louise looked down at Jake. Louise didn’t know how Jake had ended up coming on this trip but now that Chelsy was there she was glad that he was here as well. He was a perfectly nice looking bloke who actually liked her even though she was being a bitch to him most of the times. She promised herself that she will try to make an effort with Jake. She brushed some of the hair that fallen on his forehead and then planted a kiss there.

Harry sat next to Chelsy looking at Louise plant a kiss on Jake’s head. He shifted uncomfortably in his chair at the sight. To his surprise he had been okay with Louise being with Jake. Alright, okay was not the right word. He hated his guts. The only reason he could tolerate him was because he kept his hands to himself when they were in public and knowing Lou he knew nothing is going to happen between them physically till the time she was in love with him but that didn’t stop him from mentally picturing him touching her which always managed to blow his fuse.

If he’d be honest, he had a panic attack when he first heard about them dating. If his father hadn’t being stern about it, he would have taken the next flight back home but then he talked to Louise and even though she was clueless about him knowing she seemed genuinely happy and that made him stop panicking. Louise was one of the smartest people he knew and he had to trust her judgment.

----

Coming to Balmoral was one of Louise’s favorite things to do. Her father and brothers along with Charles and his boys use to come down here every year for hunting. Though, she was not a fan of hunting she loved riding in the wilderness. The place was just breath taking.

As soon as the lot reached the Balmoral Castle, Louise dumped her bags changed into the riding gear. That was what they always do, especially her and Harry. Nobody could stop them from going riding from the minute they arrived. She didn’t want to waste any time.

Harry and the others guys were sitting around having tea while chatting about the latest season of English premier league when Louise came down. She looked around and frowned at her friends. None of them were even remotely ready for the ride. She had been talking about going riding since the airport.

“You people are not even ready?” Louise said placing her hands on her hips.

“It’s late Louise; it’s going to be dark soon. We will go for a ride tomorrow” Tom said.

“William?” She asked looking at him.

“I am sorry Lou, I am dead beat. I think I am going to take a nap” He said with an apologetic smile.

“Me too” Guy chimed in.

“So, it’s going to be just me, Jake and Harry then”

“Actually, I was thinking of showing Chelsy around. So, I am also going to sit this one out”

Louise stood there her nose flaring, going red with anger. “Fine, Jake are you still interested or should I leave on my own?”

“I am coming just give ten minutes to get ready” Jake said.

“Ok meet my by the stables”

Louise was petting her horse, Breeze for the ride at the stables when Harry entered. His hands in the front pocket of his jeans. He looked at her but she ignored him.

“Lou, you can’t possibly be mad at me” Harry said.

“Why would I be mad at you?” She said not showing any emotions.

“Lou, come on. I am tiered, we will go tomorrow” Harry said walking closer to her. Whenever Lou was
angry with anyone she stopped making eye contact with them. He just wanted her to look at him to know everything is fine.

“You are changing Harry. I don’t think I like it” She said curtly.

“What the fuck does that suppose to mean?” Harry asked losing his patience.

“You not even knowing what I am trying to imply prove my point, doesn’t it?” She said.

“You are acting like a little girl right now”

“And you obviously don’t like hanging out with those” She said.

“What are you saying? Lou, at least look at me when I am talking to you” Harry said as she continued to busy herself with the horse.

“Let’s go” Jake said entering the stables. “Hey Harry, you are joining us after all”

Before Harry could answer, “No Jake, he has better things to do. Let’s go” Louise said getting on her horse.

Harry stood there as the pair left the stables. Louise didn’t even look at him or said anything to him.

---

The ride was pleasant. They were enjoying each other’s company. Jake made her laugh talking about silly things. The weather was on the colder side and Louise was feeling a little chilly. It was getting darker by the minute and it seemed like it was going to rain. They turned around to go back when thunder struck which spooked Breeze. They were near a little creek when Breeze went ballistic. He threw Louise on her back and bolted towards the woods. Jake jumped down his horse to help Louise.

She fell on her back. Her body ached as soon as she made contact with the stones. She had fallen pretty hard. She heard something snap. Jake was trying to help her but her right leg throbbed badly. She looked down at it; it was stuck between a huge rock and a broken tree log. She tried to yank it out but it pained even more. The rain had started pouring down on them now. She shivered as she was getting drenched. She was panicking now, her feet was not budging. She felt trapped and pain was getting worse. Jake tried to help her but she yelled at him. He tried to calm her down but his words were not helping her. He tried to calling someone for help but there was no reception here.

Even with rain pour heavily on them beads of sweat were started to form on her hairline. She was cold and sweaty at the same time. She was going to have a panic attack. She thought she was going to faint.

“Louise? Louise?” Jake shook her.

“Don’t Jake it hurts. The leg it hurts” She barely tried to move because of the pain and here was her boyfriend that was trying to snap her leg in two.

“Your leg is stuck badly, maybe I stop try to pull it out” He said.

“No!” She yelled at which he flinched.

“Go get some help, please” She pleaded him. She told herself that she isn’t going to cry. She hadn’t
cried in front of someone since she was twelve and she was not going to cry now.

“I can’t possibly leave you here alone”

“Well I can’t get up so you have to otherwise I am going to have a panic attack. I can feel it”

“Why don’t we try some breathing exercises to calm you down first. Count to five…”

And then she tuned out his voice. She wanted him to shut the fuck up. He was no help to her what so ever. He was not helping her to relax one bit.

“Jake, I am better. There still some light out; you better go now to get some help. I will be fine” She said.

After pleading him for another twenty minutes, Jake finally got on his horse and reluctantly left to get some help. She was stuck there trying to think about anything but her paining leg. She heard something but tried to remain calm. A panic attack is not going to help you she kept telling herself. But the sound was closer now.

“Lou? Jake?” She heard Harry yell from a distance.

Oh thank God! “Harry! I am here” She yelled back.

Within minutes Harry emerged. “Shit Lou, are you alright?” He said rushing towards are.

The rain had stopped by now but the wind was blowing on full swing.

“Harry, the thunder... Breeze… spooked… I was thrown back… my leg… oh my god… Harry… my leg…hurts” She said in between heavy breathing.

“Lou, calm down” He said taking her hands in his, massaging her palms. “Breath” He could see she was on the verge of a panic attack. “Lou, look at me. I am right here. Nothing going to happen to you” He said.

She nodded trying to gather her breath. She felt better now because he was here with her, being around him always made her feel safe.

“Where is Jake?” Harry asked looking around.

“He left to get help”

“He left you alone here like this” Harry said his jaw clenched.

“I send him to get help”

Harry shook his head. “Okay, I am going to check your leg now. You keep your eyes on me okay” He
said as he got up to check her leg.

“It hurts” She said.

“I know but do not panic. Have you forgotten I am a superhero” Harry said with a smile.

She smiled back “I feel so safe now. So what now? How are you going to get me out of here? What
powers are you using” She asked already feeling a little better.

“I am going to try to move the log. Okay?” Harry asked.

“Okay” She replied keeping her eyes only on his face.

Harry shifted the log and she let out a small cry in pain. He stopped and looked at her. “You alright?”

“Harry, I am scared” Louise said. It was dark now and even though the rain had stopped it was cold.
The wind was merciless making her feel even colder.

“I know you are, but I’ve got you. You are not alone. You’re safe with me. Tell me you trust me”

“I trust you”

“Now close your eyes. I am going to pull your leg out. It’s going to hurt a little”

Louise closed her eyes while Harry kept telling her stories about his superpowers, making her laugh a little. She could barely notice the pain when he pulled her leg out. The only thing she noticed was his soothing voice. She opened her eyes, he was staring right back at her.

“It’s out, can you walk?” Harry asked.

“I don’t think so” She said.

Without saying another word he took two steps towards her and scooped her in his arms. She gripped him by his neck, resting her head at the crook of his neck. Her heart was pounding and the fact that she didn’t felt cold anymore had nothing to do with her leg.

“It’s not a long walk. I parked the car near the creek” Harry said looking down at her.

“Car?” Louise asked confused.

“I was strolling outside with Chelsy when I saw Breeze coming back without you. I had a feeling something had gone wrong. I knew you like to come on this trail so I bought my car” Harry said. “You feel any better”

She nodded her head. She was very close to tears. She was feeling overwhelmed. Harry sensed the shift in her body language.

“Hey, you are not going to cry on me now are you? I just used all my superpowers to save your bum. The least you could do is not cry”

“Okay” She said in a whisper.

---

Louise was resting in the bedroom after doctor gave her a clean chit, saying nothing was broken but she had nasty bruise on her back and a hairline fracture on her right leg. There were some cuts on her arms and legs but they didn’t pain much.

Harry had completely lost his temper at Jake when they came back. He had yelled at him for leaving Louise alone and if William hadn’t intervened he would have probably punched the guy.

Jake had checked up on Louise before going to bed. Apologizing profusely even though she told him it was not his fault. Louise head was in shambles; after the night she had she was convinced she had no feelings for Jake what so ever, on the other hand what she felt about Harry was still confusing.

There was knocking at her door, she expected it to be Kate. She was being awfully sweet by taking care of her.

“It’s open” Louise said.

“I thought you would like some of this” Harry popped his head with a tub of chocolate chip ice cream, her favorite.

“I would love some” She said with a smile.

Harry sat next to her, handed her the spoon and the pair started on the ice cream. They sat their eating their ice cream while watching an old Gene Kelly movie on the telly. No words were required between the two. They were so comfortable with each other’s silence.

Louise couldn’t help, she kept glancing at Harry. He was so handsome in his own way. His fiery red hair, the gap between his front teeth, those hypnotic blue eyes and those perfect lips. She took it all in. His hair all messy and spiked up, she didn’t even realized when her hand went up and ruffled his hair. He looked at her with a smile.

“You feel better now? The meds kicked in?”

“Yes” She said still looking at him.

“Do I have ice cream on my face” He said rubbing his hand over his chin.

“No”

“Then what’s with the look?” He asked raising his eyebrow.

“What look?” She asked.

“That look” Pointing his finger to her face.

She smiled as snuggled up against him. Wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head on his chest, inhaling his familiar masculine scent. She didn’t know what was making her do it but she wanted to feel closer to him. She needed his warmth. He was her best friend who has always been there for her and she loved him to bits. Yes, she loved him. Why couldn’t she figure it out before? It was that simple.

“Harry” She said in a small voice.

“Hmmm”

“I…I…wanted to thank you for earlier” Louise said.

‘Just say it out loud. Tell him you love him, you silly bint’ She told herself.

“Pssst” He made that sound from his mouth that made her laugh.

“Harry” She said again.

“Yes, Lou” He said.

“I…I…just…”

Suddenly the room was filled with a Kanye West song. Harry took his phone out.

“Sorry, it’s Chelsy. I have to go. I will see you in the morning. You take care now” He said getting up.

He was half way out of the door when Louise yelled.

“Hey Harry”

He turned around.

“I love you” She said.

He smiled. “I love you too, silly. Now get some sleep” He closed the door behind him with that.

After Chelsy went to bed Harry popped back in Louise room. She was fast asleep. Even now with the heating she shivered in her sleep. Without thinking, Harry lay on his side next to her and propped himself up on one arm. For a few minutes, he just took her in. Then he scooted forward slightly, wanting to warm her with his body and wanting to protect her even though the danger had passed. She rolled back in her sleep, slightly touching her back to his chest. Slowly and gently he ran the back of his hand on her cheek. She moved slightly. She was talking in her sleep now. He could hear her say his name.

He leaned his head in, barely touching his forehead to her cheek as he whispered.

“I am here, Lou. I will always be here”
♠ ♠ ♠
Riding Outfit

Soundtrack: That's When I Knew - Alicia Keys

Hello readers! Thanks once again for your support.
This one was a bit tricky and it took me a long time to write it. So she finally knows how she feels. What do you guys thinks?

A special thanks to Death_to_Roses and musical87 for commenting!