Status: In progress

Love Bites

Chapter 19

Alex and Jack were just about to exit their home and make a run for it when a knock on the door made them stop dead in their tracks.
Jack groaned. "It's Vic and Jaime, I can smell them."
"We don't have time for this," Alex muttered, before forcing the door open.
"Hey guys," Vic greeted. "We were just checking in on you all. We saw your front door open and closed it - we weren't sure if something was wrong."
Alex sighed. "No, Jack and I are fine. We're just in a bit of a rush to leave. Something has come up, so we really need to get going."
Vic and Jaime exchanged a look.
"Can we know what's going on?" Jaime asked.
Jack spoke up. "It's really just sort of a family emergency, guys. You all should probably just head home, it's late."
"We can help you with your stuff," Vic chimed in, leaning against the open door.
The two vampires began to get irritated with their neighbors unusual persistence.
"No, we've got it from here. Thanks guys - and thanks for being great neighbors. I'm sure we'll see each other again," Alex continued.
The neighbors exchanged another glance, and Alex was close to losing his patience. He needed to get Jack and himself out of there, and these two were only delaying them.
"Alright," Vic yielded. "Well, have a good night, and safe travels."
The elder vampire nodded at them before shutting the door, leaning against it and rubbing his temples.
"Should we wait any longer?" Jack pondered.
"No, no," Alex murmured, extending a hand to stroke his lover's hair. "We'd best load up the car. Driving will help mask the scent - it'll be more difficult for them to track us."
Jack nodded and turned to grab their things while Alex went to rummage through the kitchen, grabbing their trash they kept tucked away so the property owners wouldn't come through and discover it hidden beneath the sink. Once the vampires had gathered all that was necessary, they stepped outside to be greeted with silence. A wave of discomfort washed over Alex, however, when they approached their car. Something was amiss. They needed to get away immediately.
The two swiftly entered the car, and when Alex turned the key to start it, the car refused to roar to life.
"God dammit," the elder hissed, furiously attempting to turn the car on.
Jack groaned, preparing to step out of the car, when he noticed two shadows lingering near the side of the house.
"Alex," he whispered, nodding toward the figures.
The hair on both of their necks stood up immediately, and Alex's eyes grew black and wary. They weren't alone.
The elder vampire deliberated for a moment before turning to Jack. "My love, everything will be okay. We'll be okay. I won't let anything happen to you."
Alex motioned for the younger to step out of the car, immediately standing defensively in front of him as he faced the intruders.
"Pity, I was hoping we could still be friends," one of them spoke, and realization washed over Alex's face.
"Vic," he spoke, with a voice as sharp as knives.
Vic and Jaime stepped out of the shadows, Jaime toying with a piece of their engine that he held in his hands.
"Victor," he whined. "Why are the ticks always so predictable?"
The shorter neighbor giggled, stepping toward the vampires. Alex tensed, baring his teeth and hovering directly in front of Jack.
"What the fuck do you two think you're doing?" he spat.
Vic and Jaime both rolled their eyes.
"Look," Vic continued. "I think you know why we're here. I'm honestly shocked that you two were so far up each other's asses while you were here that you hadn't noticed before."
As he said this, he pulled out a small trinket on a chain that was hidden under his shirt.
"Wolfsbane," Alex muttered. He laughed at his own stupidity. Over three hundred years of experience and wisdom, and he had missed something dangerously obvious. They had been using fucking wolfsbane to mask their filthy scent.
"Of course. You're dogs," he retorted.
Vic and Jaime snickered.
"I think we played the innocent neighbor part really well, don't you agree, Vic?" Jaime taunted.
Vic displayed a toothy grin and laughed. "At first, we weren't sure if you'd catch our scent over the wolfsbane. I mean, Jack was a no-brainer, he's so young and naive we could've phased in front of him and he wouldn't have known what the hell was going on. But you, Alex, surprised us. Jaime wasn't sure we'd get by you. We sort of had a bet going."
"You were trying to kill us the night of the bar," Alex murmured, piecing it together.
"Good job, Alexander William Gaskarth of Essex, England. You're finally starting to get it."
Jack snarled, leaning forward eagerly. He wanted to rip out their throats right then and there. He felt Alex's arm nudge him back.
"Anna showed up and scared you off. The pack wasn't around and we had the numbers," Alex continued.
"Yes, we weren't aware of the third and fourth bloodsuckers' arrival until she showed up and set us back," Vic admitted, rolling his eyes. "It was funny, though, how you thought I was some dumb human who was transfixed with the undead woman. As if I'd touch her with a ten foot pole. I had to play the part, though. Luckily for us, your little rendezvous in the woods with her gave us the perfect opportunity to track her scent back to the motel they were staying at. It was almost too easy - catching her mate off guard and tearing him to pieces. There's something much more satisfying about dismembering your kind before we finish you off with the stake."
It was Alex who snarled this time. "Eleazar was a friend."
"A dead friend, now," Jaime chimed in.
It took a significant amount of strength for Alex to reign in his instincts to fight. He had to remain calm for the sake of Jack - a two on two battle was not what he needed. He couldn't protect the youngling from getting hurt.
"Jaime, let's not poke the bats," Vic chastised. "Whatever. It's all said and done now. You filthy bloodsuckers have been hunting on our land. Well, now it looks like the hunters are becoming the hunted."
Jack's ears perked up when he heard the sound of others approaching. He almost had time to react - but Alex was right. The werewolves were just as strong and quick as they were. In a split second, Jack watched as three other wolves appeared out of thin air, two of them yanking Alex away from him and forcing him to his knees. The younger vampire snarled and cried out, struggling against the grip of the third, who had crept up behind him and held his own arms tightly behind his back.
Alex managed to force his head up and look directly into Jack's eyes.
"It's okay, love, you will be okay," he rushed.
Alex wasn't able to speak soon after, though, because at that moment, one of the men grabbed for Alex's head, and with no hesitation and a quick turn of the wrist, he snapped Alex's neck.
The elder vampire slumped forward onto the ground.
"AL-" was all Jack was able to shriek, before he too had hands reaching for his chin, and his entire world went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
hooooooly shit, what a plot twist. those bastards.
so, sorry I made Vic and Jaime bad guys. but I thought it blended nicely with the story lines, and I honestly shocked myself with the news while writing it. lol.
wolfsbane is popularly used in literature as a poison, but I kinda think it has multiple purposes in this story, and one of those purposes is that it hides the scent of werewolves from other supernatural creatures.
also, don't fret. Alex and Jack are still very much alive. I'm kind of going off of the vampire diaries here, much like the rest of the story, so basically they're just incapacitated.
I'm honestly scared to write the rest. I know what happens but I kind of hate myself for even writing this chapter. how could I do this to them - to myself?

thanks to any and all who are still reading and commenting. much love. shits about to hit the fan next chapter.