‹ Prequel: When I Met Ponyboy

I'll Be Your Runaway Girl

Chapter 1: Give Me A Break

Kitt

"Baby, baby, wake up!" Two-Bit was at my side, shaking. His hands nervously wiped away my tears. I was crying and shaking and my thoughts were a mess. Two-Bit had put a pillow underneath my head and was gently stroking my bangs out of my face.

I tried to sit up. "Where is he?"

"Where's who, baby?" Two-Bit looked genuinely confused. He looked so scared as his fingertips trembled against mine.

"Baby, you fainted. No one is here but you and me."

I was beginning to panic. "But he was just right here!"

"Who?!"

"The Bastard!" The tears fled my eyes, poring down my cheeks.

"Oh Kitt, it was a nightmare, just a nightmare."

"It felt so real. I could've sworn..."

Two-Bit scooped me up and walked me towards my bedroom, laying me down on my bed.

"I know. But for right now just try and get some sleep, okay?"

"Alright. Two-Bit?"

"Yeah?"

I reached my hand out to him. "Will you stay until I fall asleep?"

He wavered at the door and gave me a small smile. "Sure baby."

He walked back over and laid down next to me. My back against his chest. I focused on the rate of his slow even breathing soon my eyes began to grow heavier until I lost complete consciousness.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Two-Bit

Once Kitt fell asleep I gave her a peck on the forehead then grabbed my converse at the door and booked it towards the Lot. I could feel my blade rub against the inside of my jeans, giving me that sense of security I always had with my switch in my pocket. I felt like I was going to need it tonight.

The gang had a bonfire going and I could see Dally and Johnny in the distance. I could hear a radio blasting Little Richard. Probably to cover our screams and yells.

Sodapop saw me and raced over. The others saw me too and we all gathered in a circle. I looked into all of their faces.

Everyone was here. Steve, Soda, Johnny, Ponyboy, Dally and Darry and then me.

Ponyboy had tears strolling down his face and I could tell Soda was doing his best to console Ponyboy without making such a terrible effort of moving his left arm. Soda's arm looked off and out of place with the rest of his body.

"Thanks for meeting me here, gentlemen."

Dallas cursed. "We ain't no gentlemen. Shit Two-Bit quit trying to be funny. What the fuck are we gonna do?!"

Darry looked miserable. "Someone turn that damn radio off! I can't her myself think."

Johnny raced over to the lone radio and switched it off.

"That's better. Now, does Kitt know anything?" Darry massaged his temples.

"Not a thing."

"Good. This could ruin her if she found out."

Ponyboy started breathing in such great gasps and his sobs became uncontrollable.

"Two-Bit, I'm scared." He clung to my waist which was probably the least tuff thing to do at that moment. But I understood.

I knelt to look into his face and he looked like a small boy again.

"Do you wanna go back home? You can look after my girl."

He nodded and I saw him begin to walk off.

"Ponyboy!" He turned back for a moment. "Don't think you aren't tough for not wanting to be here right now.

He nodded again and started making his way back home.

Steve was awkwardly fumbling with his lighter, trying to light up a cigarette. Everyone was tense.

"Alright," I started. "Let's get this over with."

I walked towards a rather small bundle covered in old car sheets, it began to wiggle and moan. I gave the pile a rather sharp kick with my foot and I heard a grunt. Louder this time.

I ripped the car sheets off and there he was. A rather small looking man with tufts of blonde hair and green eyes. Kitts' were much prettier.

This puny man was the one who's been terrorizing the love of my life this whole time?

"Well, not for long." I muttered under my breath.

I pulled out my switch and plunged it into the man who gave a sharp scream.

"Turn on the radio!" The radio soon washed over the man's screams and my fury.

I didn't care where the blade ended up as long as it connected to his body.

"Do you like fucking younger girls? Especially your step-daughter?" A few more jabs. "Is that what gets you off, you piece of shit?" I grabbed his face. "Look at me! You are never to come 'round here again. You understand me?"

I let him go, his moans were loud and he got himself up where he began to limp away from us and the Lot. I let him go a few feet.

"Bring him back." I said to the boys, who then surrounded him. Like hunting lions praying on a weak gazelle.

They dragged him to my feet, his face landing in the mud. For a moment, my heart felt a pang. I had to remember that this was the man who hurt my girl. If what Kitt said was true then this man deserved it.

"You didn't think I was going to let you get away that easily, did you? Do you know what happens to guys who mess with our girl, Dally?"

"We skin 'em, Two-Bit."

"That's right. And then what do we do after that, Sodapop?"

"We feed 'em to the sharks."

"Sounds good to me." I bent down so our noses were almost touching because how close we were. "And that's where you are going. Even if I have to drag you there myself."