About Fifteen Hundred Words

Mothers...

I raced through the halls ninth period, looking for Cassie. I was desperate to tell her about my encounter with Hayden. I received many dirty looks as I flew past people, almost running into some of them. I saw Cassie, about to enter her next class. I get there just in time to grab her by the arm, before she got any closer to the door.

“Ash? What are you doing here?”

I still gripped her arm, breathing heavy. I must have looked like a maniac, because she was looking at me like I had two heads.

“L-library. New G-guy. Tutoring. His h-house.”, I blurted out between breaths.
“You're not making any sense at all right now.”

I calmed my breathing, and my heart rate slowed.

“I ran into the new guy in the library during lunch.”
“Oh my god! Did you talk to him?!”

I nodded excitedly.

“What did he say?!”
“Well, I wasn't looking where I was going, and I accidentally bumped into him and dropped my book.”
“And?!”
“I apologized, and he said it was his fault as well, then picked up my book for me.”
“Aww, that's adorable. He's sounds like such a gentleman.”
“It gets even better. He also said that I had beautiful eyes!”
“What did you say back?”
“I said that he had pretty eyes too. It's all I could think of. But he really does.”
“Better than not saying anything.”
“I know. So I changed the subject, and asked him what he was doing in the library. He said that he was looking for information on geometry and that he was really bad at it. And...”
“And what?!”
“I offered to tutor him, and he said yes! I'm going to his house tonight so we can study.”
“Really?! What if he's into you?”
“I don't think so. He was probably just desperate for help.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Oh, please Ashlyn. You are so clueless sometimes. Anyway, I have to get to class before I get in trouble, and so do you.”
“You're right. I'm gonna go now then.”
“Call me later and tell me what happens.”, she said, winking at me.

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

“I will.”

She entered her class, and I stalked off down the hall, trying to get to my next class on time. The late bell rang. Shit, now my teacher's gonna flip on me for being late. Oh well.

“Hey, Ashlyn, wait up!”

I spun around to see Hayden, racing after me.

“What's up Hayden?”
“I forgot to tell you where I live.”

He gave me a piece of paper with an address on it.

“Thought you'd need it.”

I smiled up at him.

“Thanks.”
“No problem.”

He flashed me one of those adorable smiles, and dashed off to his class. By this point, I was already ten minutes late, and when I finally walked into my Geometry class, my teacher shot me an annoyed look. I mouthed 'Sorry' to him, and took a seat in the back as usual. I sighed. At least this was my last class.

The minute the bell rang, I shot up out of my seat and raced out of the classroom. Once again, I received many dirty looks as I flew past students and fellow classmates. I was too excited to get out of this dreadful building and go to Hayden's house. I did have to drop by my house first, just to let my parents know where I'd be. The last time I forgot to do that, I came home to two extremely pissed parents. Definitely don't need that again.

I ran up the steps leading to my front door, unlocked it, and entered the house nearly bouncing up and down. My little brother, Liam, looked at me like I was crazy.

“What's up with you?”

I didn't answer him, only continued to grin like mad.

“Why can't I have a normal sister?”
“Because normal is overrated, brat.”

He stuck his tongue out at me, and I stuck mine out back.

“What are you kids up to now?”, my mom asked, entering the kitchen.
“Nothing.”, we said in unison.

She eyed us suspiciously.

“Seriously mom, it's nothing.”
“Well it better be. I don't want you two causing a scene while I'm calling your grandmother, I have something important to discuss with her.”
Actually mom, you don't have to worry about that. I'm going over to a friend's house for a while to tutor.”
“Really? I didn't know Cassie need help with anything.”
“I didn't say it was Cassie.”
“I didn't think you hung out with anyone else.”
“Well I do, and he needs help with Geometry so I'm being a good friend.”
“He?”

She gave me that stern mother look, the one that meant she didn't much like the idea of me hanging out with a guy she never even heard of. I instantly regretted saying “he”.

“Yes mom, he.”
“How come you've never mentioned him before?”
“I just met him.”

Whoops, wrong answer. She gave me another disapproving look.

“I don't know how I feel about you going to some boy's house, especially one you just met.”
“Come on mom, it's just tutoring. And Hayden is nice, I think you'd like him.”
“I don't know sweetie, do you have his number? Maybe I should call his mother and talk to her first.”

I rolled my eyes. The thought of her talking to his mom made me feel stupid. He'd think I'm a baby.

“No, please don't do that. Spare me the embarrassment, I'm not a little girl anymore mom.”

She smiled at me.

“Oh, alright. But don't be too late, okay? I want you home for dinner.”
“Thanks mom, I'm sure Hayden would appreciate it.”
“If you say so dear.”

I gave her a hug, then bounced towards the door.

“I'll be back before dinner, I promise.”

And with that, I sprinted out the door, piece of paper in hand, and set out to find Hayden's house.