Status: In Progress. Gets Updated with Comments.

The Lion and the Snake

Her

It all started with her coming to the place that my father and his friends had created - a school where witches and wizards were introduced and educated in the special secrets of magic.

She was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. Her long fiery red hair flowed over her back in graceful waves, her ice blue eyes that seemed to pierce right through my soul and her smile… That cocky, good-for-nothing smile that taunted and entranced me from the minute she graced me with it.

She was only eleven at the time we met, and yet her beauty was undeniable to anyone. As the years went by, we grew up with each other, spending nearly every day together in the big castle grounds of our school. But we never allowed ourselves to get along. She was bold… so bold and brave about everything, I don't think she had ever feared anything in this world. But I, I feared the feelings I had towards her. The feelings that every now and again betrayed me through my eyes and the glances I sent her when I thought no one would see. I feared what would happen if I ever allowed my feeling to rage free. Of the shame and disgrace I would bring to my family and the hatred that they would feel towards me.

Before she came into my life, into this school, everyone had been fawning over my beauty and me. I only had to prove myself to my siblings. I never had to deny myself anything. I never had any tough decisions to make. But after she came to the castle all that changed. Never before had I met anyone even remotely like her and I knew that I never would meet anyone like her again.

Yet, it was only in our last year that we ever got the possibility to speak to each other alone…

She had been watching me for a while, I knew. Every time I glanced at her, her eyes had met mine stubbornly and I had looked away shyly, blushing a bit every time. When I would glance up again, she smiled and a shiver would rush through my body. She had been watching this, waiting for the right moment. She never feared retribution or disapproval from anyone.

I was walking through one of the darker corridors that lead from my family's quarters to the library, when I heard a sound coming from one of the closed doors. A bit startled, I looked around and saw that it wasn't closed, but was just leaning against the doorframes surface. That made me frown, as it was very unusual for teachers to not lock the doors when they left a classroom – and no classes were scheduled at this time of day.

Looking at the direction I had just been heading to, I decided to take a peak at what had just made that sound. Maybe we had a new boggart that I could practice some new spells on. Giddy with anticipation, I carefully pushed the door open a bit further and peaked inside. It was dark and nothing moved. Slowly I moved further inside and pulled my wand out of my left sleeve, where I always kept it for safekeeping. I was about to mutter the spell for light, when a melody of a voice reached my ear.

"Hi," the voice spoke softly from just above my shoulder and I could feel a shiver run down my arms. Quickly I spun around and backed up against the door behind me looking at the source of the voice.

"H-Hi," I answered, heart beating in my throat. It was her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," the girl said smiling.

"I- I am not scared. I was just startled," I corrected her, getting back my continence. I straightened my back and squared my shoulders showing off my full height. She was a few centimetres taller then me, but my ego did not allow me to appear shorter than the other and with a small unsuspicious flick of my wand that was quickly solved. I was now standing at her exact height, maybe even towering over her head by a few millimetres. This was a trick I had learned a few years back, when my siblings had a small row. In this row, my sister Slaza – who was quite short for her age back then – had used a levitating spell to make her appear a bit taller, which shocked my brother so much, that he had forgotten to retort.

She arched an eyebrow at me. "Of course I didn't," she said unconvinced and looked around. "What were you doing?"

I looked at her, torn. I knew I already crossed too many civil words with her. I should push past her, maybe throw a hurtful remark at her and leave for my destination, but no one was looking, no one saw us here. I swallowed heavily. "I thought I heard a noise from inside this room. I was investigating if it might be a boggart."

She grinned, "Sounds fun! May I join you?"

I took a deep breath again and rolled my eyes as if she were annoying me, "I guess." In reality, my heart was beating wildly at the prospect of being able to spend even one more minute with her.

Softly I muttered "Lumos" and heard her do the same, making both of our wands light up with a warm white light, that cast its glow over the whole room. I walked deeper into the room and suddenly heard the door being closed behind. I froze and closed my eyes in anger. I was such an idiot. How could I trust this girl and just let her lock me into this classroom? But then I heard footsteps behind me and saw the other girl walk up to the same height as me.

"I just closed the door so no one could interrupt our little adventure! You know the boys in our school, never letting girls have any adventures by themselves," she stated when she saw me look back at the door.

I gave a small snort from me. I knew exactly what that girl was talking about. None on my siblings every let me, their little cute sister, do anything fun. Fun was reserved for people less important, for people with less pure blood, for people like her. My gaze wandered over to her again. She had moved even deeper into the room and was now inspecting the tables and closets for anything that seemed disturbed or for creatures that might burst out at her. She wore the red dress that marked her part of Gryffindor's pupils. It was a simple floor length dress, which in typical fashion was cut low above the bust. It had golden trimmings and a golden belt hugged her slim waist loosely. She had always rejected the headdress of the ladies from court and therefore let her hair flow freely over her shoulders.

Tearing my eyes from her, I followed her example and started looking more towards the back of the room. As I had known before, this was a unused classroom, that was currently just occupied by a couple of wooden tables and a few stacks of boxes and cases that held utensils that a teacher had placed here for safekeeping. Walking towards a wardrobe that leaned against the wall at the very far side of the room, I suddenly heard the girl give a small shriek as she fell to the floor, butt first and started to back away from something in front of her.

"Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew…"

I quickly raced over to her and froze. This beautiful girl I had always secretly admired, the girl who had been said to have laughed in the face of the most gruesome and fear inspiring creatures, the girl who had single handily defeated the Acromantula Nest of the Dark Forest in Eadwine was currently backing away from a bunny - a soft, cuddly, innocent bunny rabbit.

I started laughing. The bunny started shivering in pain and spite and I finally understood this was the boggart I had been looking for. Laughing even more, I stepped in front of the scared girl. But my laughter died instantly as a knight in black armour materialised in front of me, his sword poised for the slash that would take my life. With a swish of my wand, I said "Riddikulus" and watched in delight when the knight's sword became to heavy for him and made him fall backwards onto his butt, where he shattered into pieces as my laugh pierced through him. The boggart had swiftly raced back into the desk drawer he had made himself at home at and stayed in there, most likely licking its wounds.

I turned back and looked down at the girl, who's cheekbones had become as red as her hair.

"Bunnies, huh?" I stated with a small smirk on my lips, extending my arm to help her get up on her feet again, but she just brushed it away and stood up on her own.

Once she stood, she crossed her arms and turned away from me, staring into the darkness. I shrugged it off and decided to leave her pouting. Just before I reached the door though she asked softly, "What was that spell you used?"

I looked back at her. "It's a spell I invented myself just a while ago. I couldn't stand walking into a classroom and being attacked by the black knight anymore."

"You invented it?"

"Yes"

"You really are the most intelligent witch in this school", she said, looking up at me, making me blush.

"Did you forget about the rest of my family? Or the other Founders? I'm not that great next to them"

"Of course you are!"

"No, I'm not! I'm weak! That's why they keep me in that stupid little safety bubble of theirs. Not being allowed to even to go to the forest by myself to prove my worth, like the rest of you!" I quickly shut up and looked at her in fear. I had said too much.

Her eyes looked me over softly as she walked up to me. "I think they just fear the power you have," she said, her hands wrapping around my arms holding me tight while she looked into my eyes. "You are one of the most powerful and intelligent witches I have ever known. I'm not even sure if Rowena Ravenclaw could even compare with you."

My eyes widened in shock. "That comes close to blasphemy."

"It comes close to the truth. I have watched you, Sky, and you are the most amazing witch in this whole castle."

I looked down at my feet. Proud that this girl that everyone praised like no other was praising me and yet refusing to believe a word she said. Quickly, I tore myself out of her grasp, muttering something about being late and rushed out of the classroom, ignoring the calls she sent after me. I had spent too much time in that room with her; let her talk way too much nonsense. I just needed to get out and cleanse myself of the Mudbloods touch. For that's what she is: an impurity in this society, a stain on this school and the very thing my father is fighting so hard against.

You wonder who I am to say such things? I am Skyla Slytherin, daughter of Salazar Slytherin, the greatest of the four Hogwarts Founders.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you guys think? Yey, or Ney? Should I continue this?