Status: Short stories

Horror Stories for the Sick Minded

Play Day at the Park

It was a warm summer’s day, not a cloud in the sky, and I got stuck babysitting my two little, annoying twin brothers, Michael and Hayden. For them, I had to cancel my plans of skating with my friends, all because my mother couldn't bring them to work with her like she usually does. Being the nice big sister I am, I decided to take them to the park, hoping to wear them out before our mother got home. We hopped into the car and I buckled them into their matching dinosaur booster seats. Before we started moving, I put in a Metallica CD, and “Enter Sandman” smoothly filled the car.
“Louder! Louder! Louder!” Michael started chanting. After a few seconds Hayden joined in and gave me a toothy grin. I smiled back at their sudden adorableness, and turned the volume up to an acceptable level. They cheered and did their best to dance in their seats. After a few minutes of light traffic, we made it to the moderately sized park. Before I got them out, I took a picture of each of them with my phone.
“Just in case, you know.” They nodded and I got them unbuckled and out of the car. The pair ran to the swing set, and I followed to push them. After a while, I found a bench that was cleaner than the others, called our mother.
“Hello?” She answered on the 4th ring.
“Hey, I was just calling to let you know we went to the park.” I said, straight to the point.
“Okay. Stay safe.” We exchanged goodbyes and hung up. Looking around, I noticed I couldn't spot either boy. My breath hitched in my throat, and I whipped my head around, looking for them.
“Michael?! Hayden?! Where are you?” I nearly cried in relief when I saw little Hayden pop his head out of the bushes near the woods. I ran over to meet him as he walked towards me, confused.
“What’s wrong, Collie?” Hayden asked, “Why are you crying?” His slim, little hand wiped tears that I didn't even know fell off of my cheeks.
“Where’s Michael? Where’s your brother?” Hayden looked around then pointed off somewhere to our right. My gaze followed his finger, and I saw him standing at an ice cream truck, talking to the driver. After picking Hayden up and telling him to hold on, I sprinted to the ice cream truck, screaming Michael's name. The driver of the van looked at me in shock before proceeding to pick Michael up and shove him in the van. Even from where I was, I could hear the terror that was in the scream that had erupted from Michael’s throat. I heard banging and screams coming from the inside of the van as the driver dashed around to the driver’s side. By the time I was anywhere close to where the van had been parked; it was already turning the corner. Falling to my knees, I hugged my remaining brother to my chest and cried, rocking back and forth. Little did I know that was the last day I’d ever see my little brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a FICTIONAL story. This hasn't happened to me, thank god.