Dangerous Game

You Stand Before Me

I just remember laying there in the hospital bed. All the tubes coming in and out of me. The breathing mask keeping me alive. Who would want to keep me alive after what I had been through? Was it a form of cruel punishment? Was it because I tried to never stand out from the crowd, dressed conservatively and almost never spoke out?

Was this my punishment?

I stared down at my bony hands as they played with the broken guitar string.

“Dahlia, when are you going to eat something?” My head snapped toward my brother. We had the same straw like blonde hair and blue eyes. His were bright – just like mine used to be like – like waves cresting and glistening in the sun. My hair had darkened a few shades since the incident, and my eyes had lost their shine. I shrugged, running my ragged nail over the wire. “At least have an egg white. I’m not taking you that concert unless eat something.”

I stood, dropping the string on the table and walked into the kitchen. “I’m not hungry,” I pouted, taking the frying pan off of the hook above the island. “Only doing this ‘cause you know I love music.” I turned the burner on and sprayed the pan with Pam.

“You’ll be a music editor, and I’ll be saving lives as a surgeon.” He smiled, placing my newly strung guitar on the couch.

“You never wanted to be a surgeon before,” I started to say quietly.

“What was that?” He asked.

“Huh Josh?”

“You said something.”

“I did?”

“Come on- what was it.” Josh pressed, taking the wooden flipper from my hand.

“I can cook them,” I pouted leaning against the stainless steel sink.

“If I let you cook them, they’ll be half raw and you won’t eat it all.” Josh mocked, using the end of the flipper to poke me in my rib, “Just look at how pronounced they are.” I winced, slapping the piece of wood away.

“Just cook that fucking egg so we can go to that concert,” I glared, stomping over to the couch and sitting down.

“Did you just attempt to stomp away in boots on granite?” Josh asked, staring at me in shock. I nodded, “Damn you’re getting weak!” I watched over the top of the couch as Josh finished the single egg and placed it on one of the black plates. He picked up the cheese grater, a small square of Havarti and began to shave it onto the egg.

“Not cheese – and that’s the one full of fat,” I screamed, trying to jump over the couch.

“You’re eating it or no concert,” Josh cooed, strutting over to me with a fork and handed it to me. I reluctantly took them and started to push the cheese off of the egg. “Do you want me to do your make up again?” I nodded.

“I don’t think I’m ready to see what he did to me,” I murmured. Pushing a piece of egg onto the fork. “Have they caught him yet?” I placed the egg in my mouth to appease him.

“Charlyse phoned this morning before you came out saying that they had an anonymous tip again. So far no news on whether it turned up anything.” Josh said, putting his SAT prep book away.

“You could’ve gone back to school it’s still not too late to,” I said quickly.

“School’s school. All I have to do is get at least one thousand two hundred on the SAT’s and we’ll be heading to California. And we won’t have to worry anymore.”

[Tempo]

“I didn’t think they were still so popular,” Josh shrugged once we got by security. I was beyond relieved that they had not recognized me from the news. “Our seats are this way.” I followed after him, making sure I had a decent grip on his hoodie. We made our way down the stairs of the bowl and to the front row, just separated by a three foot walkway and a security guard. “I’m going to get something to drink before it starts. Want anything?” I shook my head. “Water with lemon it is.” I huffed as I watched him walk away. Why couldn’t he just take no for an answer.

The arena went pitch black. A guitar started to play before a long stream of pyrotechnic flame shot to the celling. I recognized the song from when I was in Middle School – Burning Up.

“They have to be breaking some sort of regulation with that thing,” Josh grunted, handing me the extra-large beverage. “You’re drinking it all.”

“If you were offered to have a one nightstand with any of those three – which one would you do?” I asked, placing the cup below my seat.

“Kevin – since he's married.” Josh stated, taking a long gulp from his Slurpee. “What about you.”

“Why would you even ask me such a question,” I replied teary-eyed, clutching the cloth around my chest in mock harm.

“Oh – you think you’re so funny now, don’tcha?” Josh smirked, glaring at me as he took a long toke from his drink.

“Just watch and pretend to sing along,” I joked, taking out my notebook from my bag.

Once the concert had concluded, the little girls had finished crying over the three brothers – and most had left – we then began to make our way out. I zipped up my jacket and placed my silver fedora haphazardly on my head. I held onto the back of Josh’s hoodie yet again as we made our way out of the stadium. Once we had passed the doors, I felt a sudden jolt to my left side and the cold concrete below my bony but.

“Hey jerk – watch where you’re going,” Josh yelled from above. I held my head, my brains felt as if they were caught in a whirlpool.

“I’m so sorry,” the masculine voice said panicked, kneeling down and touching my knee. “Are you OK?” I nodded, looking up at him. “Have I seen you somewhere before?”

I shook my head, bolting up from the ground and ran out the door to our car with Josh.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got the idea for this while I was studying for my Sociology Final, so I hope it'll work out well from the idea.