Status: Work In Progress

Right Here in My Arms

Potential Client

It had been about a month since we arrive in Helsinki and we were already settling in. The first few days were difficult for both my father and me because of being in a new place and having to sleep on the hardwood floors, but soon enough we’d gotten some furniture and got all moved in. About two and a half weeks into being in the house, the heater had broken, leaving me freezing to my ass off and my father trying to call a repairman to fix it. We lived without a heater for about three days before the repairman finally came out and fixed it.

Just recently, my father started up with working and gathering talents and scheduling auditions recently and he’s already getting a busy schedule together. He’s been going to work every day for a few hours before he comes back home, extremely tired - physically and mentally – and go straight to bed. I haven’t tagged along with him too much. I’ve gone with him once or twice but decided that I’d just let him go by himself to get the hang of things first before I jump right in there and potentially mess things up or something.

Things still were weird for me and I wasn’t exactly comfortable here, but I was slowly getting there. It was still rather weird being away from and not being able to see all my friends and family, especially my mom and my best friend Jaysen. My mom and I talked pretty regularly over the phone and we’d talk for hours about what was going on. She tried to convince me a few time to come a visit her right now, but I couldn’t do that. Not when I was just getting settled into Finland. It was also pretty weird waking up and nothing having to get ready for work or college. I was pretty much free to do whatever I wanted to until my dad would get home, which, as far as I knew, there wasn’t much to do around here anyway. I was too shy to leave the house to explore because I was paranoid that somehow I’d manage to get lost by accident and not be able to find my way back home or be able to contact my dad to help me. I figured that I’d just stick around the house for now until I really needed to leave the house for something or unless my dad took me somewhere.

“So, Rowan... Since my schedules getting pretty busy, would you like to go meet with a client that we’re interested in?” my father, whom sat across the table from me at a somewhat fancy Finnish restaurant, questioned me.

I raised my eyes from my food to lock my eyes on my dad and chewed the food in my mouth so I didn’t choke. “Really?” I asked.

“Yeah, of course. I’ve got a lot on my plate right now and you see me when I come home. I’m drained, and I wouldn’t want to potentially lose a client that we’re interested in because they took my tiredness as being rude or something. Plus, you do need to do something if you’re still going to be my assistant... That is, if you still want to be,” he said, taking a sip of the iced tea in his glass.

I wiped the corners of my mouth and smiled at him, “Yeah. I’d love to meet them.” I took a quick bit of my food and then a sip of my water before nodding, “When would I meet this fabulous client?”

“Well, we’re still trying to find the right date, but he said that he’s free tomorrow if anyone was available to meet with him. Of course, you’ve got a lot going on with sleeping that you might not be free to see him,” he teased and then chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and sarcastically spoke, “Yeah, I’ll check my busy schedule and maybe pencil him in if I don’t have too much going on.” I smiled at him and then continued to eat my food.

“Alright, well then. I’ll give him a call and tell him that it’s all set up. I was thinking that it should be a lunch date and you guys can discuss it all then,” he told me.

I nodded and shrugged, “That’s how I used to do it, so it’s alright with me.”

We finished eating our food and called a cab driver to return to the house. Once we got home, my father called the client to let him know that I could meet up with him tomorrow and ask about where they’d meet up. I retreated into my room - which now had a medium sized bed, a desk, and a table stand – and sat on my bed. I thought about calling Jaysen, but figured that I wouldn’t. I felt tired, even thought I slept most of the day, but this whole time change between California and Helsinki was throwing me off and causing my sleeping schedule to be off as well. I decided to turn in early so when I did wake up I could be fully rested to meet the client. I knew I was going to have to get up and eat at a decent time so I could take a shower and get ready before I met the client. I changed into my PJ’s and crawled into my bed, resting my head on the pillow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked into the living room where my father was, finishing his late breakfast. “Good morning,” I smiled at him.

He looked over at me and smiled, “Good morning, sweetheart. Are you all ready to go meet with the potential client?”

I nodded, “Yep. I’m kind of nervous, but that’s nothing unusual.”

He rinsed his bowl out in the sink and put the cereal in the cabinet, “You’ll do fine, as always.”

I shrugged and hid a smiled, “Yeah, I guess.” I thought for a moment and sighed, realizing that I was probably the only person in Finland who didn’t speak Finnish, obviously other than my father. “But what if he speaks Finnish to me?” I groaned. Okay, I exaggerated in thinking I'm the only one in Finland who didn't speak Finnish, but whatever.

He laughed and shook his head, “Then tell him you don’t speak a word of Finnish. You know he speaks English, Rowan.”

I sighed and nodded, “Yeah, I guess so.” I finished to get ready and called a cab. My father told the cab driver the address and gave a stash of money, enough to pay for the cab right to the restaurant and back and also for the lunch.

I arrived at the restaurant and took a seat, ordering water from the waitress who came by and then patiently waited for the client to show up. Several minutes passed and the client still did not show up. I checked my watch and sighed, seeing he was fifteen minutes later. I sighed and shook my head to myself, slightly disappointed in how later he was being. The waitress came by several different times to see if I was ready to order, but I kept asking her to give me a few more minutes. I was getting rather frustrated and was beginning to think he wouldn’t show once twenty minutes had passed. I was debating on just getting up at leaving, be thought I’d wait around a little longer for this potential. The waitress came by again, frustrated that I hadn't ordered anything, so I asked her for a refill on my water. She left and came back with a refill. I thanked her and took a small sip. After a little longer of a wait, I gathered my things up and shook my head, disappointed in the time that I had wasted in just sitting here. I sighed.

“Excuse me... Are you Rowan Brooks?”