Sequel: Running From Lions

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Twenty Three.

I sat in my bed staring up at the ceiling. I didn’t know what I was thinking last night. I need to learn how to think before I speak. I basically told Makenna I was done and I didn’t mean it. I still wanted her, I always wanted her. My mistakes with Makenna were so repetitive, you would think I would’ve learned by now.

I wanted to forget everything, if only for a little while. I thought about getting in the car and driving to a bar, but every time the thought crept into my mind the image of Makenna’s disappointed face at my hospital bedside was right next to it.

I had no idea what was going to happen with the band. We had a show this Friday and nobody has even said anything to me.

Tour started in less than a month and none of the guys would even talk to me. I understood that they were upset. Garrett told me over and over again after the first time I was hospitalized that he wasn’t going to deal with it again, and he seemed to be keeping that promise. So in the past week I lost my girlfriend, I lost my friends, I lost Makenna, and I possibly lost my band. What the hell was wrong with me?

I heard a knock on my apartment door. My mom coming to check on me again, I’m sure. I wished that this apartment had a buzzer system so I could just ignore it and pretend my buzzer was broken.

I got up and went to the door, but when I opened it my mom wasn't the one there.

“We need to talk.” Derek stood at my door. Great, this was just what I needed.

“What do you want?” I crossed my arms. “And how do you know where I live?”

“I talked to your friends,” he said. “Can I come in?”

I laughed, “I don’t think so.”

He shrugged, clearly thinking I was immature. “Fine. I came here to tell you to leave Makenna alone.”

That wouldn’t be a problem after last night. “Does she know you’re here right now?” I smirked.

“No. And she’s not going to,” he said, “Because you’re not going to tell her. You’re not going to talk to her at all, ever. When you see her, you’ll walk in the opposite direction. I know all about your history and I know that you’re not good for her. She’s been here for two months and she’s already acting completely different.”

“Well,” I said, cutting his protective husband speech off. “That sounds like your problem, not mine.”

“Just stay away from her.” He was about to turn away.

“Can I ask you something?” I said.

Derek didn’t say anything. He waited for my question, curious.

“Has she ever called out my name when she’s been in bed with you?” I smirked.

Before I knew it, I had a fist in my face and I lost my balance, landing roughly on the floor in front of my door.

“Asshole,” he mumbled before walking down the hall and disappearing in a staircase.

God, I was an idiot. I stood up and shut the door. I went into my bedroom and grabbed my phone off of the dresser. I scrolled through my recent calls, looking for Makenna’s number.

“Hey, this is Makenna. Leave a message and I’ll try to get back to you.”

“Your body guard just showed up at my place. I thought you’d like to know.” I hung up and threw my phone back onto the bed.

I picked up my guitar from it’s stand in the corner of the bedroom. I guess when you've lost everything it makes writing bitter sad music pretty easy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please keep in mind that I started writing this story so long ago. I believe I started writing this when Forever Halloween was first released. So I'm still trying to follow that sort of music timeline, if that makes sense.

& I'm sorry this is a short one!