Status: This story is a work in progress

One Step Behind

Eyes Open

That Monday Patrick brought a mix CD full of female artists for Brook to listen to. Their tastes in music were similar but Patrick seemed a lot braver than Brook with his performance choices. It didn't stop Brook from listening to the mix though. She enjoyed it immensely, partly because the music and partly because it was from Patrick. That whole lunch period they talked about what kind of message they wanted to send and they even tried out a few songs but they couldn't seem to agree on anything.

When Tuesday came Brook made up her mind since she knew Patrick would have to learn the song and they'd have to be able to work together or it just wasn't going to sound right. It felt like so much pressure to Brook but she needed this. She needed it to show the others that she was worth something. That she earned that solo and there was a reason she was picked. So at lunch that day she walked into the band room with her choice.

"Taylor Swift," she told Patrick, looking at him seriously. "I know she can be over done but everyone knows who she is and I think doing an artist that's well known will really work on having everyone see me differently."

Patrick looked at Brook for a moment, nodding to her speech. "I think you shouldn't be anyone but yourself Brook. But if Taylor Swift is what you want it's what I'll give you. I'll be honest, I do like her music. It's catchy and she's truthful, you can't really hate on her for that. Even if people do."

"Well, good... I'm glad you agree," Brook said, not really expecting Patrick to agree with her. "I don't want to do one of her typical singles though. You said you play guitar right? I thought maybe we could do a stripped down version of Eyes Open. The lyrics fit my situation, not to mention the fact that I love the Hunger Games." Brook laughed and grabbed her iPod so Patrick could listen to the song.

"I know it actually. For you, I think it's perfect. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'll go home tonight and work on it but for now, why don't we just work on me playing and you singing together?" he asked, turning towards the piano.

Nodding Brook smiled and bumped her shoulder into Patrick's. "Thank you.... for helping me," she said before singing along to the song he chose to play.

----------

During lunch and after school Brook and Patrick worked on the song. Only having three days made it hard work but the more they practiced the better they got. Brook loved working like this with Patrick, watching him play his guitar while she made sure to keep the tempo right. By Friday she was sure that they had it perfect and she even found herself walking through school with confidence all day.

Others must of noticed her new found confidence because at lest one person from each other her classes said hello to her and asked her how she was. One girl even offered to have Brook sit with her at lunch but she kindly told her she had a friend she already spent lunch with. It was nice, having people treat her kindly. It was a new experience that didn't happen to Brook very often. But with Marnie off her case it seemed like things were just going to keep getting better. At lest that was until she got to choir class.

"I have some bad news, Sarah Henderson is out with Mono so we are one solo short for tomorrow's show," he informed the class. "I would just keep the show a little shorter but you all know how I like to keep the numbers even. So if anyone is interested please raise your hand and stay during lunch to do a mini audition."

Of course Marnie's hand shot up in the air before three other girls and one boy asked to be put on the list as well. Mr. Waters wrote down their names before beginning class, which would of been a normal day if Brook hadn't kept catching Marnie smiling at her. It was creepy to say the lest but she let it go, just focusing on getting through to lunch when she could see Patrick.

-------

Brook and Patrick sat eating their lunch in the band room while listening to the auditions in the other room. They had decided to give Brook's voice a rest and put off practicing till after school. So Brook told Patrick about her day and how people had been nicer to her. She admitted how surprised she was and Patrick just laughed a little.

"Are you laughing at me Patrick Stump?" she said raising an eyebrow at him.

"No, no! I'm not laughing at you, just the situation. You know why they were nicer right? Because they can feel that confidence coming off of you. That's all you've ever needed. Just a little bit of confidence in yourself. I always knew you had it in you," he said munching on his PB and banana sandwich.

"Mhm, okay. If you say so.... but maybe you're right. I've been feeling so great all week. I honestly don't think anything could bring me down at this point," She admitted, sipping on her bottled water.

Resting her head on Patrick's shoulder she heard the forth audition end which meant it was Marnie's turn. They had been listening in, wondering what Marnie would pick and it was no surprise that she wanted to go last. The most important solos of the show were the opener and the closer which Mr. Waters didn't tell the class until an hour before the show. People wanted to open but the closer was the most important. It's the solo that people went home remembering and the one that was talked about the next day.

Closing her eyes Brook listened in as she heard Marnie sing. The track played loudly which muffled her voice so it took her a moment to let it click. Before Brook knew it she was on her feet, running into the hallway and towards the choir door.

"Everybody's waiting for you to breakdown. Everybody's watching to see the fallout. Even when you're sleeping, sleeping. Keep your eyes open," Marnie sang, as Brook walked in the door. It was like Marnie knew she'd be coming because she smirked as soon as she walked in.

Brook felt her heart sink to her feet, wanting so badly to go and just rip the other girls hair out. How dare she, how dare she steal the song her and Patrick had worked so hard on. She just might of too if Patrick hadn't come and wrapped his arms around her to hold her back. He even tried to pull her back out the door but Brook stood there, glued to the spot.

"That was wonderful Marnie. I think I'm going to let you fill Sarah spot tomorrow," he said before turning to noticed Brook standing there with Patrick. "Is everything alright you two? Oh, which reminds me. Brook I need to know what song you're doing for tomorrow for the program."

"I'd like to keep it a surprise if that's alright sir. Patrick here is going to play guitar and we can even play it for you tomorrow before the show if that's alright?" Brook said, surprisingly calm.

"Well, it's cutting it close but if you can be here by two before we have to print I guess I can let it go just this once," he said before gathering up his papers and heading for his office.

Marnie stood their smirking, knowing what she had done. Patrick finally pulled Brook out of the room and back down the hall. Only stopping when Brook threw her arms around him and started to cry against his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! What will they do?! I hope to have the next chapter up later this week!