Status: I will try to have the next chapter up soon.

Caught in the Middle

Chapter 1

Shaheen closed his dark eyes as he stood still for a moment, taking in a few deep breaths of the cool fresh air, it filling his lungs as his chest raised only to fall again soon after. As he exhaled, his breath appeared in large puffs of clouds right in front of his face.

He had escaped to the forest for the day because the fresh air brought peace to his being that nothing else could. He looked up at the sky, seeing it covered with thick dark grey clouds showing signs that it would soon snow. He also guessed it was almost noon by the way the sun was lighting up areas of the clouds since it couldn't peak through them.

For the day, Shaheen had decided to wear a simple pair of male skinny jeans, which he didn't see many people wear any more. He didn't understand why people didn't like them now; he didn't see what was wrong with them. With the jeans, he wore a dark colored button up shirt that he didn't even bother to button up in the first place. His blood ran hot; making sure he never grew cold. The elements of Earth never seemed to bother him because of the demonic blood running through his body.

Shaheen shoved his hands into his pockets and started to trudge through the freshly fallen snow that had just started to fall just moments ago, but had already seemed to cover the forest floor like thin blanket. The sound of snow crunching under his feet echoed throughout most of the trees that were surrounding him.

His footsteps soon stopped short as he saw a figure in the distance. A figure of a young pale woman with wings wrapped around her small fragile looking body. - A fresh Fallen? Oh how wonderful her blood would taste.... As soon as those thoughts popped into his head, he quickly pushed them away, not wanting to shed any blood on the fresh snow. His dark eyes watched her a moment longer before making the decision to approach her.

***


Zayvier shivered violently as she lay on the cold snow covered floor of the forest. She slowly opened her eyes, letting her eyes adjust to the bright white color of the snow, she saw a few flakes fall in front of her eyes and she began to slowly sit up. She looked down at her body first, seeing the tattered rags covering her body instead of the robes that she had once wore before she had fallen. She also noticed that she looked more like a human with the glow she had once had gone.

She looked up at the sky as a small snow flake fell and hit her face with a gentle kiss. She held out her hand and watched as a small snow flake landed in her hand but melted right away.

She shivered once again and looked behind her, seeing her wings just lying there; she tried to move them but stopped for a moment when pain shot through her body. After waiting a few moments, she tried to move them once again but took her time in moving them so the pain wouldn't be as bad. Once she could no longer feel any pain in her shoulder blades, she brought her wings around her to try to keep herself warm. Even with her large wings wrapped around her, she felt the wind flow through her feathers and hit her rag covered body.

Zayvier heard something making its way toward her and her head snapped up quickly as she listened carefully, trying to determine where the sound was coming from. She saw a shadow first and tried to stand up so she would be able to get away only to fall right back down to the snow covered ground. She moved back, scared of what was coming since she could feel power radiating around its body. Her back hit a tree after another moment and she looked around for another escape.

The man sensed the fear coming off the female in front of him in waves. "Don't worry, I won't bite." He says to the Fallen, his voice thick and satiny as he held out his hand to the frightened girl. His skin looking just as warm as he actually was.

Zayvier searched the man's face carefully, to see if he was telling the truth. After having let her eyes travel along the plains of his face, she looked him over quickly, seeing that he was wearing a shirt that he left unbuttoned, letting it show off his defined chest and midsection.

"Are you not cold?" Zayvier let the words pass through her lips and let out a small gasp as she heard how much her voice had changed. She no longer had the bell sound of her voice like she once had before she had fallen.

"Well, I'm just very use to the elements." Shaheen says to her as he let his arm fall back down to his side, figuring that she wasn't going to take it. Amusement shown in his dark eyes since he knew the Fallen would be able to sense any lie that he was telling, even though he wasn't telling a lie.

"You aren't telling me everything. I know you are hiding something." Zayvier told him as she remained on the ground close to the large tree that was behind her. She knew for a while longer she would be like a new born baby, trying to learn how to walk all over again. If she were to try to stand now, her legs would give out under her.

"I know you know I am hiding something." Shaheen said smiling fully now, his smile a nice and charming once. As well as very alluring like a serpent, with his fangs showing a little. "Now, don't get your rags in a wad. I'm just trying to help you out here." He told her as he slipped his dark shirt off and tossed it at her feet.

Zayvier just barely notice saw the tips of his fangs as he smiled, just like any other female though, she did feel drawn to him, but the difference was, she knew he could be very dangerous.

"You're a demon." Zayvier stated as she sat there, not even making a move to get the shirt he had thrown at her a few moments ago. She felt a tremble go down throughout her body, this time not only from the cold but also from his presence. Demons loved to drain Fallen's of their blood whenever they got a chance. Some even kept a Fallen for a long period of time so they would always have their blood.

"Stating the obvious now, love?" Shaheen asked her as a low chuckle passed through his lips. He tilted his neck to one side, relaxing the stiff, cramped muscle. His wings were also starting to cramp like hell so he slowly began to unfold them.

Shaheen had rather large wings for a Demon of his size and age. Every Demon as well as every Fallen had unique wings, and his happened to be a metallic silvery color and then on each of his feather tips was a blood red color. A sigh escaped his lips as they stretched out as far as they would go. They shuddered for a moment before relaxing once again.

"Don't call me that." Zayvier said to him as she finally reached out to grab the large shirt at her feet. She moved her wings up against her back and slid the shirt on quickly as the wind started to blow once again. She buttoned up the front of it before looking up at the man.

***


Shaheen stiffened at the demand, his demon side disapproved of her telling him what to do. He held his tongue though and forced a smile to show up on his face as he looked at her, a small glint in his eyes.

"Then what shall I call you since you don't seem to like the name I have you?" He asked her, slipping his hands into his pockets. He also saw the pleased look in her eyes, knowing she must have saw the disapproving look in his eyes.

"My name is Zayvier." The Fallen told him as she pulled her legs to her chest, a failed attempt to keep warm. She kept her eyes on his face though, watching him, studying him.

Shaheen nodded in acknowledgement, noticing that she was watching him, which made him feel a little odd. "The names Shaheen." He told her, still feeling a little uneasy. Normally people didn't study him long since he was rather intimidating, well his aura was, but compared to other Demons he was a pretty friendly one.

"If you don't mind helping me up, I would be rather thankful." Zayvier told him with a small smile playing on her face. Loving how she had refused his head early but was not wanting it, just like a child that couldn't make up her mind.

"You didn't want my help the first time, changed your mind, huh?" Shaheen asked her, his tone of voice coming out rather teasingly but gentle as he held his hand out to her once again to help her up.

Zayvier took his hand this time and looked at them for a moment, noticing how much smaller hers want then his. "I guess I did." She told him and looked away from their hands and back up at him with a small smile.

As he helped the Fallen up, Shaheen noticed how much shorter he was compared to himself; he had not expected her to be so well - short, small and fragile looking. He removed his hand from hers and smirked a bit. "My, my, you're short aren't you?" He asks her as a small chuckle came out.

Zayvier looked up at him from where she was now standing in front of him, trying to make sure she stayed up right and didn't fall. Before she fell, she had always used her wings to move around and not using them was pretty different for her.

"I am not short." She told him and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh, yes you are, don't deny it. You know, if you stretch some it might help out a lot." Shaheen tells her with a smile as he kept her eyes trained down on her. He started to remember how he had come to be, his coming was much different from the other Demons. Most Demons came from the ground or souls having pure hatred or lusty longing when they died.

"Honestly, you must just be tall. I am normal where I come from." Zayvier tells him with a soft giggle as she stood there in front of him. She never actually pictured herself actually talking to a Demon, or even being close to one.

Shaheen's eyes watched her with a peaked interest after hearing her giggle, that resembled bells of laughter, he liked it quite a lot, and he was actually tempted to ask her to keep laughing, but he didn't of course. It was quite odd in all honesty. Her soft giggle had brought a smile to his charming lips and he ran his fingers through his dark hair and glanced away from her for a moment to regain his thoughts.

She was out her in the cold, yet she was laughing, what the hell? His eyes returned to her and he smiled once more. "You're correct, I am tall, but not that tall. - Let's just get you out of the cold." He said gesturing to the sky. "Can you fly yet?" He asked, knowing well it took a good eight hours for a Fallen to gain their strength back.

Zayvier looked back at her wings before looking back at him with a small smile. "I don't think so, it's hard even just standing up like this." She told him truthfully, already starting to feel her legs starting to tire even though she had only been standing for no longer then ten minutes.

Shaheen let out a sigh and looked at her, a slightly apologetic look in his eyes, she was going to most likely hate him for this, and his wings unfurled all the way and he snatched her off her feet, running quickly, the snow crunching under his crimson converse shoes and he gave a mighty leap and bounded up from the Earth. His wings giving a slow push off into the air and the next moment they were in the sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
(So, this is the first chapter tell me what you think. I will be getting character pictures up soon.)