‹ Prequel: Chkaddd
Status: I hope you enjoy Sid's and Tylyn's run for the cup as much as I have.

Chasing Stanley

Tick tack toe

I step out on the huge sundeck to another beautiful day. I set my coffee and novel on a table beside one of the lounge chairs. The deck is already warm from the sun despite a breeze wafting the leaves on the fruit trees and ruffling the branches of the potted conifers. The hanging baskets will be huge once the plants grow in a bit. I deadhead a few of the petunias as I poke around. There are a variety of perennials and annuals in the pots that are forming the roof top garden. Petunias, marigolds, fuchsia, lobelia, ivy’s and geraniums fill the baskets and planters. Several pots of spent tulips, daffs and crocus have been pushed to Hairy’s play yard. I wonder if they are going to be in re potted with something else.

I settle myself on the lounge and sip the warm coffee. This is a beautiful home . It has been difficult trying to imagine where Tylyn is living and what her life here is going to be. I know these are really her decisions but as her Mama, I really just want to know that she will have a comfortable place to call her own. I’ve been worried that she’ll be alone and lost. Tylyn has been so absorbed with field hockey, school and the farm that she hasn’t really struck out on her own. I had hoped for a long engagement for the kids so that Tylyn could have some time to figure out who she is before she became Mrs. Crosby. I know, she thinks that she’s all grown up and mature but the voice inside my head has concerns. Sid has an established life and a job here in Pittsburgh. And after last night I think so does Tylyn. Maybe not a fulltime job but definitely she’s a part of the organization.

I open my book, press back the pages and find where I left off. I suspect as we got back very late last night, I will have some time to read. I scan the words looking for my spot in Susanna Kearsley’s latest novel “The Firebird”. I don’t get much time to read at home so am delighted to be able to steal away for a mini vacation with my book. But it only lasts a couple of pages when Hairy pushes her nose under my arm.

‘Good morning, missy. How are you this morning?’ I ask her. ‘You look all bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning.’

Hairy wags her tail and turns around in a circle as if to show me that she’s all ready to go. Hairy’s face is very animated much like her mistress’. Neither of them needs to speak for you to know what they are thinking.

‘Do you want to play this morning?’ I ask her as she comes and stands by the lounge chair.

‘Ooowo’ She frowns.

‘Do you want to come up for a cuddle or maybe a massage?’

‘Yip!’ Hairy’s smile widens as she hops up beside me. I reach over top of the wiggling mass of black and white fur to set down my coffee so neither one of us wears it.

‘Now let’s get you settled here.’ I stretch the little dog out on my lap. ‘It’s been awhile since we’ve had a good chat. How are you enjoying life here in Pittsburgh? How are you settling into your new life.’

Hairy chats away to me as I rub down her back. I massage each leg and work on her joints. When Hairy first came to live with us, she was such a nervous little thing; our vet suggested this as a calming technique. It only takes ten minutes per day but it really has made a huge difference. Hairy’s personality really shows through. It’s been dog therapy. As Hairy is telling me all about her adventures, I comment just as I would any of my children.

‘Oh Hairy, you are such a shameless moaner.’ Tylyn says in disgust.

‘Ooowo’ Hairy seems to pout.

‘Morning, Chicken. Hairy here has just been telling me all about her adventures.’ I smile at my daughter. She still looks tired and worn whereas Hairy is bright eyed and smiley. ‘Haven’t you, girl’

‘Yip’ Hairy wiggles off my lap and bounces over to Tylyn. She wags her tail and wiggles about Tylyn’s legs.

‘You are a silly girl. Let me get a cup of tea, sit down and then you can have a cuddle.’ Tylyn’s face brightens with a smile as she heads into the kitchen area. ‘The kettle has just gone off. Mama, do you want another coffee?’

It is only a few minutes later when we resume our chat. Tylyn is now seated in a lounge chair beside me complete with a pot of tea. Hairy has brought out the big smoked bone that Piet and I brought her from the farm store. It’s a Buster bone for sure. It is bigger than the little dog’s head but she’s managing to gnaw on it.

‘It’s beautiful here.’ I start my conversation.

‘It is. Sid has been trying to make the cave homier ever since I came here at Christmas. I like the garden. It’s not like sitting out in your garden at the farm but I like it. The plants really add life to the space.’ I look around as Tylyn talks. ’Sid is going to ask Vicente about maybe getting some fish for the water fountain.’

‘Some goldfish might be okay. What happens to all this during the summer? Or are you going to spend the summer here in Pittsburgh?’

‘Oh Vicente and Marcela will look after it. That’s what 87 said anyway.’ Tylyn raises her hand to block the sun out of her eyes. ‘No, we are working on our summer plans.’

‘That’s good to hear. Do you have anything firmed up? Lego mentioned that the field hockey camps are going to be starting in mid July this year.’

‘You talked to Lego?’ Now it’s Tylyn’s turn to be surprised.

‘She stopped by the farm store last week for some produce. I’ve asked her if she’d be interested in your old job in the kitchens. It doesn’t sound like she’ll be getting much work at Thrifty’s store. Lauren seemed quite pleased when I offered. I didn’t realize that she’d be going to McMaster this autumn. Do you know who else will be in Hamilton?’ I tease her.

‘Yeah, Mama. Sam is there now.’ Tylyn rolls her eyes.

‘No, Chicken.’ I tease. ‘I know, Sam is there. Jory has accepted a Sports Medicine Residency there. I believe that he starts in the beginning of July.’

‘Jory in Hamilton? Really! That’s so close.’ Tylyn smile brighten more. ‘Oh maybe I can visit him when I go to see Sam.’

‘I hope so because I think he’s going to stay with Sam until he finds a place.’ I say. ‘I know he, Lauren and Kendra have been talking as I gave him the girls cel numbers.’

‘Oh that is going to be great.’ Tylyn watches Hairy. ‘Isn’t that great news, Hairy? Jory’s going to be in Hamilton.’

‘Yip’

‘ What are you the rest of you plans? Will you three get time to come to stay at the farm this summer?’ I ask.

‘We’re hoping. It sounds like when the season ends we will go to California for a couple of weeks. The last date for the Stanley Cup games is June 14th. Then the Maritimes for a couple of weeks. I’ll fly out here ahead of 87 to be ready for my team training camp on July18th. I think that Sid will go to Colorado by late August for a week. I think his Olympic camp is in Calgary just before the start of the NHL training camps in early September. Peeka and Harry invited us both back to Madrona for a week in August. We both have commitments with Reebok to film commercials in LA so we might have to pop down there if need be.’ She says so matter a factly I can’t believe it’s my daughter talking. She is usually not this organized.

‘Wow, I am impressed. You’ve really planned it all out.’ I am shocked.

‘Hmmm mostly it has been 87 and his dad. Evidently Troy does a lot of organizing still for Sid. They just put my commitments into the mix. Evidently Sid’s summers are all pretty much the same every year. He would normally get more time in the Maritimes but this year he’s going to train out west to be with me. My camp is going to be three weeks long.’ Hairy pauses from chewing her bone to listen to Tylyn talk. ‘We will be given a winter training schedule then.’

‘Roo?’ Hairy has cocked her head.

‘Roo are going to come, too. Well mostly with me. Cappy and I talked about it. Roo will have to be a good girl.’ Tylyn teases Hairy.

‘Aroo rumph’ Hairy’s English is sketchy. But she looks like she’s says I’m always good.

‘You look tired, chicken. I was hoping you might have time for a rest. Are you enjoying helping out the team?’ It’s the mom in me.

‘I love the challenge Mama I do. But I could do with out all the traveling. I really miss having a home. There is only so much restaurant food one can eat. I really miss cooking. I like being here. I’ve made a few friends and I have projects here that I’d like to do.’

‘Mm it’s nice that you’ve got friends. Alice says that you signed up for a sewing class but had to cancel it. So you’re finding your own life with out Penguin.’ I ask hoping that Tylyn is finding a bit of herself. I know in January that she was quite worried about losing her identity in Sid’s world.

‘Oh yes and then again not so much. I mean at the moment I struggle to find time to write or polish up the Banty stories. I have bunch done but the publisher wants me to flesh out a few more. I have some great ideas but not a lot of time to put them to paper. Then I promised I’d help out with some field hockey camps with the local program. But with all the Pens stuff I’ve been doing, there is just not enough time.’ Tylyn pushes a wayward strand hair out of her face. ‘I know that I’m not really a coach. I know I’m just a figurehead out there but we still watch a lot of hockey. We still talk a lot of hockey and we still plan a lot of hockey.’

‘Well you should be used to that growing up in our household.’ I laugh. ‘Are you and Sid, okay with you two working so close together?’

‘Yeah. I mean it’s not going to last. We both know that.’ She laughs ruefully. ‘I’m here on an interim term contract.’

‘So you say but Ray and Mario have been so impressed.’ Both of them have come to tell Piet and I how much they appreciate Tylyn stepping up to help. ‘When we saw Dan yesterday, he was teasing your dad that he might not get his job back.’

‘I know he teases me too. Now that he can talk more we skype with him during coaches meeting. He’s been great.’ Tylyn looks reflective.

‘Would you want to stay coaching?’ I always thought Tylyn would be a great coach but not at this level.

‘With the Pens? No. That would be weird. I like watching from the booth with Ray and his boys. Team management is actually pretty interesting. I think I’d like to stay with player development but not on a fulltime basis. I like developing plays. 87 and I do talk about ideas when we are away from the rink. I’d happy to work at a grass roots level. Maybe with the rookies or a farm club.’ She’s talking more like herself.

‘Mama, would you mind if I go to visit Morty today? I know we saw him for a few minutes yesterday but I’m worried about him. He wasn’t breathing any to well.’

‘Go Chicken.’ I pause while I plan how I say this. ‘Harv was telling us last night that the doctor’s are concerned for him. They are concerned that Morty isn’t responding to treatment. Just breathing is exhausting him. Go and take Sid with you.’

‘You think he might die?’ Tylyn’s eyes fill with tears.

‘We are all going to die at some point, Tylyn. You know that. But from what Harv was saying the doctors are concerned. They have suggested that Harv contact Morty’s children.’

‘It must be serious. 87 says that Morty had a falling out with kids after his wife died. I don’t think that I heard the details. I know he never mentions them or his grandkids. I mean I’ve seen photos at Morty’s place but when I asked about them he just brushed me off. It seemed like a touchy subject.’ Hairy has stopped chewing on her bone and seems to be listening to us. Tylyn’s voice is sad. I suppose that is what the little dog actually hears. The sad tone in Tylyn’s voice.

‘Harv is going to try to suss them out and I suspect that he will. Go visit Morty, Tylyn. He doesn’t have much energy so a short visit will do. You don’t want to wear him out.’ I watch as Tylyn struggles with her emotions. ‘No tears Tylyn while your visiting Morty. You need to be strong for him.’

‘I will, Mama. I will.’ A gull that swoops down low over Hairy’s pool distracts us. Hairy leaps up and chases it away. ‘Harv is a nice man.’

‘I believe he is.’ I watch as Hairy circles around her pool keeping a watchful eye to the sky.

‘Do you think Mum likes him?’ Tylyn and I have been down this road before. I’m not willing to speculate about their relationship.

‘They are both adults Tylyn. I think we should let them sort out what they want. Life is not always so easy. Harv lives here in the States and Mum in Canada. They are not spring chickens and at some level might not want a long distance relationship. Medical issues aside. Immigration for either one of them might be a challenge.’ I am convinced that Mum really is rather fond of Harv but she’s not letting on. ‘Let’s let this thing play out.’

‘Okay. It just that some time Mum seems lonely when I talk to her. Sometimes I think Harv gets lonely. They both like arts fartsy stuff. Just like 87 and I both love sports. It’s common interests.’ Tylyn hesitates before she continues. ‘If Morty were to die. I think Harv would take it hard. They are very good friends.’

‘I’m sure he would. You can’t save the world, Chicken.’

‘But I can try Mama I can try.’

******************

The goal light goes on behind Flower. The crowd is silent. I glare up at the clock hanging above center ice. Fuck. That’s the second goal in less than 3 minutes of play. Fuck. It’s going to be a long 60 minutes of hockey. We are at 18:09 of the first period and we are down two goals. Flower wasn’t even screened on the shot from his glove side. The Rangers are elated. I can feel the energy being sucked out of the players sitting around me.

‘Come get that one back.’ Tony yells over our heads. ’87, 14 and 9 take the face off. Tighten up on the defense. Show some effort out there.’

It is a TV timeout before we face off at center ice. I skate over to Nisky who is lining up. He looks grim.

‘Their out for blood tonight. Watch out.’ He calls to me.

‘It’s more like fasten your seatbelts because it might be a bumpy flight.’ I give him a knowing look.

‘Right Captain.’ He nods.

‘Kuni, play tight in.’ we haven’t been given any instructions about playing a defensive game but we need to find a way to control the puck possession and create plays so we can score.

I line up at center ice against Brad Richards. He skates into take the draw and the ref leans over both of us ready to drop the puck.

‘This is just the start, Syndey. We’re gonna blow you out of the rink tonight.’ Richards cackles at me. ‘Get your wife to explain that to the cameras later.’

‘Bettman brought the trophy with him. If you’re lucky you might be able to snap a picture of me getting presented with it later.’ I snarl back at him.

‘Hey you two.’ The Ref gets our attention. ‘Is this a social club or a hockey game?’

I win the draw back to Nisky as the Ref drops the puck. We don’t get a chance on net but our line doesn’t give up any chances either. The next few shifts with the other lines are pretty much the same. We are down 2 nothing with 0 Shots on net in 16 minutes of play whereas the Rangers have 14 shots. The puck has rarely been in the Rangers end of the rink. Flower has been playing better but he is facing an onslaught of rifled shots. I swear it will just be a matter of time before the Rags score again. Geno’s line is out and fighting to get possession when Nealer jumps between Rangers and intercepts a across ice pass. Geno’s not far behind him so Nealer drops a pass back to him. They skate down the ice facing one defender and Lundqvist. The rest of the pack are behind them skating hard to catch up. Geno dekes around the lone defenseman, fakes a shot on net and passes it to Nealer who one times the shot past Lundqvist. The crowd is on their feet screaming and cheering. The red light flashes behind the goal. Finally with our first shot we get rewarded with a goal.

TWEET, Tweet.

‘What the hell?’ I yell over the noise at Duper.

‘Iggie’s got called for holding behind the play. The goal will be waved off.’ Duper has sat back down. ‘Shit, we are now going to have to kill two minutes. Shit.’

I take a quick glance over at 91. Her eyes are glowing and not with happiness. I catch her eye and nod. I know what she’s thinking. FUCK. She wants to win this thing here tonight. That was a dumb penalty to take. And it won’t be forgotten.

Tony’s adjusting the lines back to three lines of forward grinders. He has moved Engo from defense to a forward. I know that my line will only be put out to give the grinders a rest. We’ve played this before in the series with Montreal. I watch as my teammates are battling for the puck. Both teams are dishing out hard hits. The boys are going to be sore in the morning.

’87, 9 and 14, one minute. Just keep the puck out of our net. Nothing fancy boys.’ Tony directs us.

We take the ice for the last shift of the period. I jump into the play as Nash crashes into our net landing hard on top of Flower. Nash didn’t even attempt to stop. The two men land hard on the ice. Martin jumps into the action as Nash rolls over to stand up. Martin grabs the front of his jersey and is yapping in his face. Flower is slow to move. Martin has a hold of Nash but is watching Flower struggle to stand up. I grab on to Hagelin with my left hand.

‘Keep out of this, pussy.’ He sneers at me.

‘Watch your words. And I’m a Penguin, Asshole ‘ I return the compliment. I look around and the ref and linesmen are working at breaking up several skirmishes. The medical staff is now attending to Flower. Fists are being exchanged between Martin and Nash and Nash is taking the worst of it. 43 second are left on the clock.

*****************

‘How’s Flower?’ I listen to the voice on the other end of my phone. ‘Hmmm.’

I’m sitting in the press box high above the ice surface. I am surrounded by my assistant GM’s but more importantly by numerous members of the press. I don’t want to draw attention to my conversation.

‘He’s been shaken up but we don’t think that he has a concussion. Having 220 pounds land on top of you has got to hurt. Vokoun is going to finish out the game. We’ve been adjusting the lines to go back to grinder hockey. It won’t be pretty but if we can eek out a couple of goals. Maybe we can tie this puppy up.’ Tony isn’t telling me anything that I don’t already know.

‘Keep me posted. Thanks.’ I sign off and place my phone on the table in front of me. It’s going to be 4 on 4 hockey for the first 1:17 minutes. The players are back on the ice ready to start the second period.

DiscoDan: How’s flower?

RayShero: Shaken not stirred.

Jasseur:Play the trap?

RayShero:Yeah pretty much. Don’t want anyone hurt.

I watch the game unfold in front of me. The guys are making head way shutting down the shooting lanes. Minutes on the clock tick down. I know tempers are flaring by the number of cheap shots from both sides. The ref’s aren’t calling much but if fisticuffs do break out I’m sure that it will be whistled down. The crowd is chanting for a goal. I look at the shots on goal. NYR: 21 PENS:14. Well that is an improvement.

Tygyrl91: Are the Ranger D shorting on the far side? It’s hard to tell from this angle?

I look down at the ice. The right defender, Del Zotto, for the Rangers is shorting. He isn’t covering all the way back to his corner. He’s trying to cheat. God, I love this girl.

RayShero: Yeah by maybe 3 or 4 m. I’ll get Andy to send you a couple of over head screen shots.

Tygyrl91: thanks. I’ll tell the lines.

I quickly text Andy to send the snap shots to the iPads on the bench. Minutes later I can see the players looking at them. Then it is a rush to match lines whenever Del Zotto hits the ice. Finally Pyatt takes a holding penalty on Adams. It’s our first break of the game. We have two minutes to find a way past Lundqvist. Our power play unit lines up. The puck is passed around waiting for an opportunity to strike. Tanger is playing the point and fires a pass across to Kuni. Kuni tips the puck back to Duper just behind the net who flips it up to Sid. Sid who is down on one knee smokes the puck by the between to Rangers and over Lundqvist far shoulder. It was a tick tack toe play. This was not a set play. This was just guys knowing where each other are on the ice. The crowd goes wild. It’s been nearly 35 minutes of play before we get our first goal of the game.

RayShero: that was pretty

Tygyrl91: Yup. Still short one.

***************
Watching the game from behind the bench has a number of disadvantages for me. First and most obviously is my height. I just can’t see over the backs of the players. Second are the angles because I find it hard to see the whole ice surface. I find it hard to see plays develop. From my preferred seat high above in the press box watching the game is more like playing chess. You can see how the players move. I’ve been able to see positional play. I can check my emotions because it is much more clinical. But here down behind the bench emotion has become the third disadvantage, the game is much more emotional.

The tension on the bench is palpable. The first period has set the ton for this game. I know we’ve had other tense hard hitting games but from the first couple of minutes, the Rangers have been making us pay with our bodies. The mood on our bench has been surly. That first few minutes of the game was a scramble to keep our heads a float. I walk to the end of my riser. It is maybe 30 cm wide and 2 meters long. I feel like I’m caged. Tonight it is sitting centered in behind our bench. I want to be able to pace but I don’t have the room. If I want to talk to any player, I hop down and talk to him but that action gets noticed from the other bench. Todd suggested that we get a few iPads so I can text messages to the various players. This is a game of strategy on and off the ice. The Rangers are trying to rattle our team. The chirps have been nasty, the hitting has been dirty, and our game has been shut down. I look over at the Ranger bench and scowl. I know I’m supposed to have my calm careless game face on but I just can’t. Those rats ran over Flower. And in my book that is just not done. Now they are chipping away at us with dirty hits. I feel distracted by the tension.

I pace back and forth on my riser trying to relief the stress. I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I look up at the clock. Only 6 more minutes are left in this game. The third and fourth lines have been playing the majority of the game. Geno’s and 87’s lines have been cycled in on shorter shifts. They are getting better at a defensive game. The Rangers have also mixed up their lines. I wave Tony over to me.
‘We are still short one.’ I look pointed at the clock. 5 minutes left.

‘Yeah, I say we load up the lines and go for broke.’ I hear the deep voice beside me.

‘I’ll text up stairs. You ask Todd.’ We really do coach this team by committee.

Tygyrl91: do we load up and go for broke.

RayShero: we need a goal to stay alive.

Tony sends out Geno’s line first. They have fresher legs than the Rangers and get a couple of quality chances on the net. I realize that I’m holding my breath for the whole time that they are out on the ice. Jussi line is next and they have one decent chance but still no goal. 3:53 left on the clock. The Rangers are taking shorter shifts. 87 line is sent out and against the Rangers third line. We are to the left of Lundqvist when the unthinkable happens. Some white jersey checks 87 into the boards from behind and he goes in face first. I see his helmet pop off his head. Then I see red. I hear a roaring in my ears and it is not the crowd. The ref whistles the play down and gives Dominic Moore a two-minute penalty. But that’s not what I’m focused on. Moore skates past our bench and I leap. All the pent up emotion of the night comes spewing out of me at once. Arms catch me as I land between Biz and Murray.

‘If you want a piece of that you have to come through me to get it. You aren’t worthy to touch him.’ I shake my finger at him. Then I growl accenting each word with a shake of my finger. ‘THIS!... ENDS!.... HERE!... NOW!....’

I’m shaking with anger. I glare at the Rangers on the ice. 87 is up putting on his helmet. He lifts his stick and nods. But that’s not what I react to. From the Rangers bench I hear a loud chortle. Tortorella is laughing ….at…. me…..

He is so lucky that the arms around me tighten again. I give him my best death stare.