Status: Complete :)

Kiss Me Tenderly

Chapter 35

I cringed at the sound of paws scrabbling across hardwood floor and tearing into carpet. My laptop stared accusingly at me, reminding me that I had a manuscript due in a week and I was only two thirds of the way done. My fingers dug into my temples, feeling a headache start to form as I heard the happy sound of Alex, Kris, and the kids playing with Princess Di in the living room, just across the hallway.
Sighing, I returned to editing the manuscript at top speed, fingers flying over the keyboard. I had to be done before –
Ding dong
Shit.
I pushed away from the desk, the wheels on my chair squeaking across the floor as I swore in my head. Alex had convinced me to give Zack another chance and stupidly, I had agreed to it. But I had only agreed if Kris could come over too.
I wasn’t about to almost be ganged up on like I was last time because we all know how well that turned out.
Somehow, I reached the door first, even though the living room was nearest to the front door. Probably because Alex didn’t want to seem over eager to see Zack. The door swung open and the bulky figure of Zack Merrick could be seen beyond. He looked up at me from his phone and smiled nervously.
“Hey, Jack.” Zack rubbed the back of his head, short bristly hairs rasping against the skin on the palm of his hand.
“Hey, Zack,” I replied, albeit rather cautiously. “Come on in, everyone’s in the living room.”
I stepped to the side to allow him in and shut the door after him. I made to move to the living room but a large warm hand on my shoulder stopped me. Confused and rather concerned about why Alex’s friend was touching me when I barely knew him, I cocked my head at him a question on the tip of my tongue but Zack beat me to the punch.
“Listen, uh, Jack,” Zack cleared his throat and I raised an eyebrow. “I wanted to uh, apologize for being such a prick last time, mate. It’s just that… Alex was my best mate all growing up and I hate to see him hurt. Just looking out for him, yeah? Same as you.”
I nodded slowly, shocked at the sudden change in behaviour. “Sure, yeah, I understand. I was just a little pissed that you would just presume to know what goes on in our house. It threw me off. But what’s in the past is past, right?” Zack agreed and stuck out his hand.
“So, we’re good now, yeah? Mates and all that shit?” He looked at me hopefully.
A grin split my face and I gripped his hand, shaking it.
“Mates. And shit.”
Zack’s smile was huge and he pulled me in for a quick hug, thumping my back with his free hand in what I was sure was a very friendly gesture. When he let go, I gestured with my hand at the entrance to the living room, where the sounds of kids playing with a very hyperactive puppy were leaking out.
“Shall we?”
------------------------
Zack had been over for about an hour and we were just hanging out, the kids requesting that we all play dinosaurs with them which somehow resulted in us building dinosaur villages. Kris declared himself the king of all the dinosaurs and the girls (and Owen) decided to crown him and hold a ceremony and everything which made us all laugh.
It wasn’t until after a deliciously healthy dinner of Chinese take out – which I almost never ordered because hello, sodium – that I was cornered in the kitchen by Alex. I had just shoved the last box of whatever the fuck we had ordered on to the bottom shelf of our refridgerator when I felt a warm presence behind me.
“Hey,” Alex’s voice was soft, his warm breath stirring the hair falling over my ear.
“Hey, yourself,” I joked, closing the fridge door and pulling him close, brushing my lips over his forehead. “So did I pass?”
“Yes, you did very well. Thank you for being civil to my best friend.” Alex nuzzled into my neck, his fingers curling and uncurling on my back before resting at the hem of my jeans above my butt. Not even in a sexual way, just in a ‘I wanna hug you but my arms will get tired if they stay up there too long so here they are.’ kind of way. The house was quiet except for the occasional sound of dice being thrown and little arguments as Kris, Zack, Missy, Owen, and Sassy all played Junior Monopoly. My finger pushed Alex’s chin up and his eyes looked at me brimming with questions but I hushed him and pressed a kiss to his lips, letting me savor this moment. Everything was right with the world.
Well, almost everything.
Kris stormed into the kitchen, glaring at me. “Jack.” His voice was warning, his eyes flaring with anger.
“What?” I blinked at him, confused as to why he seemed so upset with me. Shit, why did everyone have to be so confusing today?
“You didn’t tell me Zack was so hot! Do you know how sexually frustrated I’ve been all day? And around your kids too?” Kris’s hushed yelling almost made me choke on my spit. Kris and Zack? Kris liked guys like Zack? Since when?
“What?” I sputtered, Alex laughing loudly into my chest. “Since whe- He’s your type?” I asked weakly, shock running through my veins. Kris pouted, crossing his arms across his chest.
“Yes, he’s very much my type,” he snapped. “And I want to get with him so bad but.. Is he gay? Or what?” The last question was pointed to Alex, to which he nodded.
What the fuck is going on with the world?
“Gay. And I happen to know that cute little guys like you are just his type,” Alex winked at him, fingers still tracing the hem of my shirt. At this, Kris’s eyes brightened and his entire stance relaxed, taking on that happy, peppy air I knew he possessed when on the prowl for a quality boyfriend.
He hadn’t found many lately so maybe that’s why he was so excited over the prospect of a future relationship with Mr. Dreamboat Merrick.
“Really?” Kris breathed, lips pulling back into a smile.
“Really.” Alex’s smile was genuine, encouraging and it made my heart swell to see him so supportive of other people’s romance. “Go get him, tiger. Flirt it up. Make the first move, he loves that.”
Kris practically bounded from the room, floating with tangible joy.
“Do we ship them?”
“Huh?” Alex looks up at me, a raised eyebrow.
“Ship them, you know, want them to be together?”
“Oh!” Alex’s golden brown eyes shone with understanding and he nodded furiously. “Yes, yes we do ‘ship’ them.”
------------------------------
Kris left the house that night with Zack’s phone number and a huge smile.
Zack left the house that night with Kris’s phone number and a kiss good night.
The kids fell asleep on the couch while watching Spirited Away.
Everyone was happy, except for Alex.
So, I gave Alex a blow job for his stellar match making skills.
♠ ♠ ♠
DID YOU SEE THAT COMING I DON'T THINK SO
AUTHOR: ONE
READERS: INFINITY POINTS BECAUSE I LOVE YOU FOR READING THIS AND LEAVING CUTE COMMENTS ASDFGHKJKL;
Will things be happy forever? Hard to say. Should I do a sequel, by the way?
Tell me in your comments :3
-VivaciousVanity